[ANN] Squeak 4.5

Chris Muller-3
We should officially announce version 4.5 of Squeak.

So!  Let it be known!  Squeak 4.5 is released!

Home page is here:  http://www.squeak.org

4.5 release notes are here:  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Frank Shearar-3
On 20 March 2014 20:56, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We should officially announce version 4.5 of Squeak.
>
> So!  Let it be known!  Squeak 4.5 is released!
>
> Home page is here:  http://www.squeak.org
>
> 4.5 release notes are here:  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193

Hooray!

frank

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

timrowledge

On 20-03-2014, at 3:46 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 March 2014 20:56, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We should officially announce version 4.5 of Squeak.
>>
>> So!  Let it be known!  Squeak 4.5 is released!
>>
>> Home page is here:  http://www.squeak.org
>>
>> 4.5 release notes are here:  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
>
> Hooray!

Indeed; I was about to add a note to PlanetSqueak etc but I see that we need to populate the ftp.squeak.org/4.5 directory a bit more fully before pointing people at it. We could do with the image/changes separate to the all-in-one, along with whatever ought to go into the platform directories. And there ought to be a RISC OS one at some point...

tim
There can never be a computer language in which you cannot write a bad program.

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Chris Muller-3
I made a softlink to the image zip.

But why should we duplicate the VM directories again and again in
every image release?

On 20-03-2014, at 6:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I made a softlink to the image zip.
>
> But why should we duplicate the VM directories again and again in
> every image release?

Kindness to the users? Having the latest - even if it is old - in a place that is easy to find makes life less frustrating. If space usage is a concern then we ought to be able to use links, surely. I suggest that it is easier to explain “go here and you will find everything” than “go here and you will find some things, and then the things you don’t find (which might be…..) should be findable by looking around for a similar looking directory a bit older” and so on.

tim
Strange OpCodes: OI: Vey

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 04:33:45PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 20-03-2014, at 3:46 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 20 March 2014 20:56, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> We should officially announce version 4.5 of Squeak.
> >>
> >> So!  Let it be known!  Squeak 4.5 is released!
> >>
> >> Home page is here:  http://www.squeak.org
> >>
> >> 4.5 release notes are here:  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6193
> >
> > Hooray!

Thanks Chris, well done indeed!

> Indeed; I was about to add a note to PlanetSqueak etc but I see that we need to populate the ftp.squeak.org/4.5 directory a bit more fully before pointing people at it. We could do with the image/changes separate to the all-in-one, along with whatever ought to go into the platform directories. And there ought to be a RISC OS one at some point...

I think this is just a matter of copying the final Squeak4.5-13680.zip from the
ftp.squeak.org/4.5alpha/ into ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ so yes, someone with write
access to the server should please do that.

I'm less sure how we should handle the mac, unix-linux, win, and riscOS subdirectories.
Traditionally, we have had platform maintainers who individually took full
responsibility for each of these platforms, so it was simply a matter of asking
those responsible persons to do the right thing for each platform.

We now have Ian and Tim (yay!) holding up the unix and riskOS branches, but
we have gaps in Mac and Windows platform ownership, and we also have Eliot
doing the development of the performance VMs for a range of platforms, with
these being what we use in the all-in-one for general distribution.

Overall I am inclined to think that ftp.squeak.org should have the all-in-one
as a simple and portable way to get folks started with a new 4.5 download,
and we should pointers to squeakvm.org for folks interested in obtaining an
appropriate VM for their platform.

Oh, by the way, we need someone with SqueakMap access to update the SqueakMap
server so that package maintainers can declare their packages to be compatible
with Squeak 4.5. And we need someone to start nagging the package maintainers
to update their packages in SqueakMap. Not that I really want to be nagged
about it, just sayin' ...

Dave

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Chris Muller-3
On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20-03-2014, at 6:42 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I made a softlink to the image zip.
>>
>> But why should we duplicate the VM directories again and again in
>> every image release?
>
> Kindness to the users? Having the latest - even if it is old - in a place that is easy to find makes life less frustrating. If space usage is a concern then we ought to be able to use links, surely. I suggest that it is easier to explain “go here and you will find everything” than “go here and you will find some things, and then the things you don’t find (which might be…..) should be findable by looking around for a similar looking directory a bit older” and so on.

I'm just thinking about the target audiences (newbie and experienced)
and wondering which one would ever dig into those directories.
Experienced will already have their VM and if they needed a new one
they would never get it from one of those download directories.

Then there's the other type of Squeak consumer, someone who isn't
invested yet but just wants to explore Squeak.  They'll be downloading
the All-In-One and so not going into those platform dirs either.

I almost wonder whether those platform dirs could actually _confuse_
newbies because they'll say, "yeah, I've got a Mac, I better get that
stuff in the mac directory" when they actually don't need to do that
at all.

Good thing the web site links straight to the all-in-one zip file.

RE: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Ron Teitelbaum
> tim Rowledge
>

> Indeed; I was about to add a note to PlanetSqueak etc but I see that we
> need to populate the ftp.squeak.org/4.5 directory a bit more fully before
> pointing people at it. We could do with the image/changes separate to the
> all-in-one, along with whatever ought to go into the platform directories.
> And there ought to be a RISC OS one at some point...

Glad you said something.  Was just about to hit the button on
news.squeak.org.

Can you let me know when it's ok to publish?

Ron Teitelbaum

> tim

re: Squeak 4.5 released

ccrraaiigg

> So!  Let it be known!  Squeak 4.5 is released!

     Congratulations! Thanks Chris, and everyone!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

re: host platform maintainers (was "Squeak 4.5")

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

> ...riskOS branches...

     Freudian slip? :)

> ...but we have gaps in Mac and Windows platform ownership...

     I can be a steward for these platforms, since I'm filling in the
gaps for them (and the others) anyway for Spoon (using virtual machines
such as Parallels where necessary). I'm happy to discuss the details.

     Speaking of RISC OS, I'd appreciate some fresh and definitive
pointers for best running it in emulation (e.g., [1] still leaves too
much research to the reader). It's a bit of a muddle from what I can
see, given that the project is so heavily forked and so much old -- er,
"classic" -- hardware is involved. I have separate hardware that runs
one of the forks (a Raspberry Pi), but I have all the other host
platforms running on a single laptop. That has been qualitatively more
productive.

     thanks,

-C

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:40:00AM +0100, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
> > ...riskOS branches...
>
>      Freudian slip? :)

Oops ;-)

> > ...but we have gaps in Mac and Windows platform ownership...
>
>      I can be a steward for these platforms, since I'm filling in the
> gaps for them (and the others) anyway for Spoon (using virtual machines
> such as Parallels where necessary). I'm happy to discuss the details.

Thanks Craig! let's discuss on vm-dev (CCed).

Dave

>      Speaking of RISC OS, I'd appreciate some fresh and definitive
> pointers for best running it in emulation (e.g., [1] still leaves too
> much research to the reader). It's a bit of a muddle from what I can
> see, given that the project is so heavily forked and so much old -- er,
> "classic" -- hardware is involved. I have separate hardware that runs
> one of the forks (a Raspberry Pi), but I have all the other host
> platforms running on a single laptop. That has been qualitatively more
> productive.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415 287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Chris Muller-3
It's okay to publish now.  Thanks!

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> tim Rowledge
>>

>> Indeed; I was about to add a note to PlanetSqueak etc but I see that we
>> need to populate the ftp.squeak.org/4.5 directory a bit more fully before
>> pointing people at it. We could do with the image/changes separate to the
>> all-in-one, along with whatever ought to go into the platform directories.
>> And there ought to be a RISC OS one at some point...
>>

> Glad you said something.  Was just about to hit the button on
> news.squeak.org.
>
> Can you let me know when it's ok to publish?
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
>

>> tim

RE: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

Ron Teitelbaum
http://news.squeak.org/2014/03/21/squeak-4-5-released/

Ron

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

glenpaling
Thanks Chris and all contributors!

Glen Paling
bpi

Re: [ANN] Squeak 4.5

bpi
Thank you, Chris! I figure it is a huge amount of work to see this through.

Thanks also to all the contributors to this version. Long live Squeak!

Cheers,
Bernhard

On 21-03-2014, at 3:40 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     Speaking of RISC OS, I'd appreciate some fresh and definitive
> pointers for best running it in emulation (e.g., [1] still leaves too
> much research to the reader). It's a bit of a muddle from what I can
> see, given that the project is so heavily forked and so much old -- er,
> "classic" -- hardware is involved. I have separate hardware that runs
> one of the forks (a Raspberry Pi), but I have all the other host
> platforms running on a single laptop. That has been qualitatively more
> productive.

There’s VirtualAcorn and RPCEmu and I suppose ArcEm. Honetly, none of them are particularly easy to get on with. VirtualAcorn costs quite a bit. RPCEmu is at least under development still (latest version last october) but you have the ‘fun’ of finding a rom image - and then working out which version you want and what to do with it. The Pi route is far and away the easiest to handle.
Obviously, there is the problem of is requiring a separate display; but I think there is a !VNC application that can help. The ‘good’ place to find out is the ROOL forums at https://www.riscosopen.org/content/ and specifically the RPCEmu forum for a non-Pi approach. I did actually get some version or other working on a iMac a year or so ago but it didn’t really work out for me. Since I have multiple monitors it’s easy enough to have the pi hooked up to one and wiggle the switch-source switch.

tim
Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.