[ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

123

re: Squeak Documentation Team formation

ccrraaiigg

Hi Matthew--

> If the board finds it appropriate, I am willing to be team leader.

     The board approves the team and you as its leader. I'm the default
teams liaison; if you need any help from us, please let me know.  I'll
check for new activity on first Wednesdays. If the team seems inactive
since the last check I'll bug you. :)  (The same goes for all other
teams I monitor, see [1].)

     Thanks for volunteering!

-C

[1] http://www.squeak.org/Community/Teams

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume

RE: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

J J-6
Wonderful.  I like it.  With the scope of the group (at least the long term
scope) I would say it is to document all things squeak.  It is common in
open source programming to have one group that only programs and another
that only documents.  Of course documentation could be created more
efficiently by the developer, but most developers (including myself) would
rather code then document.

So anyway, I will be willing to provide any help I can.  I started a new job
that is quite far from where I live, so I basically don't exist during the
week but I will download emails overnight so I am somewhat reachable. :)  I
have around 2 hours per day to devote, but it is offline time until they get
internet on the trains. :(

While digging around, planning to do some documentation myself I found this
page:
http://www.oldenbuettel.de/squeak-doku/class_index.html

I don't know if it is generated anymore, but if it is, we could write a
little script to go through and put a common format on all the class
comments and then fill in the information as we go.  This would very quickly
give us a Javadoc like class reference that would be accessable by everyone.

Stephane and I had discussed a format, but I can't find the email atm.

>From: Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation
>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:47:52 -0700
>
>I request the formation of the Squeak Documentation Team.
>
>I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
>Squeak Documentation Team:
>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
>
>I will commit to creating a useful Squeak Tutorial.
>
>If the board finds it appropriate, I am willing to be team
>leader.
>
>Anyone want to help?
>
>--
>Matthew Fulmer

RE: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

J J-6
I know the reflex is going to be to say yes, but I would say it's an
intermediate topic.  The reason is that I think unit testing shines the
brightest in later revisions to your applications (making sure changes
didn't break code).

A possible way is to make a theme like they did in Dolphin.  In Dolphin the
tutorial is about making a minimal bank account program.  Someone wrote
tutorials about how to extend these later.  I think that could work.  You
make your simple Morhpic app, then in the next installment you explain the
features your application doesn't have but needs and so you explain that you
want to first make unit tests to ensure you don't break anything.

>From: Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?
>Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:25:17 -0700
>
>On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:47:52PM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
> > Squeak Documentation Team:
> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
>
>I really want to introduce beginners to (and learn myself) how
>to write good unit tests, then develop a  class that conforms to
>those unit tests inside the debugger. I have heard that that
>capability is one of the best things about Smalltalk, and I know
>that unit tests are a *very* good thing to use.
>
>Should I expose a Squeak beginner to this topic early on?
>or should that be the topic of a separate tutorial?
>
>I do not know if my tutorial will target novice programmers or
>not.
>
>--
>Matthew Fulmer

Re: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

J J-6

>From: [hidden email]
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation
>Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:51:29 +0200
>
>Now, let me ask a really annoying question: What will happen with this
>tutorial after year 2008?

I think the formation of an official documentation team is the answer to
this question.  The
reason all the other tutorials became stale is because the maintainer left,
right?  If you have
a documentation team then they are responsible for all things documentation
and so it can't
go stale unless there are no members on the team (or not enough to keep up).

Re: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

Ralph Johnson
> A possible way is to make a theme like they did in Dolphin.  In Dolphin the
> tutorial is about making a minimal bank account program.  Someone wrote
> tutorials about how to extend these later.  I think that could work.  You
> make your simple Morhpic app, then in the next installment you explain the
> features your application doesn't have but needs and so you explain that you
> want to first make unit tests to ensure you don't break anything.

Matthew asked about unit tests, but he really should have asked about
test-first.

This isn't test-first.  Unit tests have many purposes.  Only one is to
ensure that changes don't break anything.  A more important purpose is
to ensure that you know what you are programming.  Test-first lets you
think about the interface to your classes from the users point of
view.  It provides documenation to how to use your classes, and
provides a kind of specification.  Test-first is about design even
more than testing.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

J J-6

Well, that is valid.  The alternative to what I said is:  if your going to
train someone, train them right from the start.

I guess I don't do it the way you described because I make my classes with
an interface, then part way through I determine my first cut was wrong.  If
I started with the tests I would have to change all the tests along with my
class changes (right?), effectively doubling the work I do now.

Has any work been done to integrate testing into the browser?  It seems like
some of the things you would write tests for are pretty predictable and
could be automated or semi-automated.

>From: "Ralph Johnson" <[hidden email]>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?
>Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 10:00:01 -0500
>
>>A possible way is to make a theme like they did in Dolphin.  In Dolphin
>>the
>>tutorial is about making a minimal bank account program.  Someone wrote
>>tutorials about how to extend these later.  I think that could work.  You
>>make your simple Morhpic app, then in the next installment you explain the
>>features your application doesn't have but needs and so you explain that
>>you
>>want to first make unit tests to ensure you don't break anything.
>
>Matthew asked about unit tests, but he really should have asked about
>test-first.
>
>This isn't test-first.  Unit tests have many purposes.  Only one is to
>ensure that changes don't break anything.  A more important purpose is
>to ensure that you know what you are programming.  Test-first lets you
>think about the interface to your classes from the users point of
>view.  It provides documenation to how to use your classes, and
>provides a kind of specification.  Test-first is about design even
>more than testing.
>
>-Ralph Johnson

Re: Swiki Permissions

Tapple Gao
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 01:39:43PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:
>      The board approves the team and you as its leader. I'm the default
> teams liaison; if you need any help from us, please let me know.

Who do I refer volunteers to for wiki edit permissions? Several
people have good ideas and are willing to contribute, but I do
not know of a reliable way to give them wiki edit permissions.

Do I have permission to distribute the Swiki password to those
who want to help? I got wiki permissions from Benjamin Pollack
after I posted my basic idea on squeak-dev. I believe those who
have a willingness to help and some idea of what they want to do
should be given permission to contribute.

Is there a policy in place that governs who can bestow wiki
privileges upon others?

Matthew Fulmer

Re: Swiki Permissions

Hans-Martin Mosner
Matthew Fulmer schrieb:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 01:39:43PM -0700, Craig Latta wrote:
>
>>      The board approves the team and you as its leader. I'm the default
>> teams liaison; if you need any help from us, please let me know.
>>

> Who do I refer volunteers to for wiki edit permissions? Several
> people have good ideas and are willing to contribute, but I do
> not know of a reliable way to give them wiki edit permissions.
>
> Do I have permission to distribute the Swiki password to those
> who want to help?
Yes. The password protection was installed after the wiki was being
vandalized over and over again.
You can give out the password to anyone who's genuinely interested in
Squeak.
You may even post it here on the list - I don't think the wiki spammers
search the list archive for the password.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

Brad Fuller
Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> I request the formation of the Squeak Documentation Team.
>
> I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
> Squeak Documentation Team:
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
>
> I will commit to creating a useful Squeak Tutorial.
>
> If the board finds it appropriate, I am willing to be team
> leader.
>
> Anyone want to help?

Matthew,
Did you get the "Helpzip.zip" attachment that was sent recently (sorry,
I couldn't find out who sent it. )
It seemed to be laid out well. Some thought was put into it.

--
brad fuller

On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 03:29:22AM +0100, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
> >Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> >>I created a document stating the plan, goals, and purpose of the
> >>Squeak Documentation Team:
> >>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5870
> One of my goals with the Magma-Pier integration is to be able to import
> data from other wiki's. I thought that I might point such an importer at
> the minnow squeak wiki!
>
> This will of course be a bit of a shakedown of the Magma-Pier combination.
>
> However in the long run, if it prooves viable, this may provide a better
> basis for refactoring and tuning minnow content.
>
> a glimpse of the future perhaps.
>
> Keith

Great Idea! please add it to the Future Projects page so that it
does not get lost:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/809

Matthew Fulmer

Re:Doc project stuff

J J-6
Oh, and try to work some of this kind of stuff in:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-July/093048.html

The Dictionary of Dictionaries example is especially nice.  Someone new to
program might
not be so impressed, but people who have programmed other languages for a
while will
take notice of this sort of thing.

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:11:50AM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> Matthew,
> Did you get the "Helpzip.zip" attachment that was sent recently (sorry,
> I couldn't find out who sent it. )
> It seemed to be laid out well. Some thought was put into it.

No, I did not. If you have a URL, it sounds like a great
addition to the Catergory Index project:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5871

Matthew Fulmer

Scope of the tutorial

Tapple Gao
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 11:32:36AM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Here is my current criteria, and how I would rank relevant topics:
> Is this skill essential to being a good Squeak and Morphic Programmer?
>
> Yes:
>     Installation
>     Debugging
>     Browsing
>     Coding
>     Smalltalk Language
>     Collections
>     Morphic
> Probably:
>     Unit Testing
>     Change Sets
> Maybe:
>     SqueakSource
>     SqueakMap
>     MontiCello
>     Projects
> Probably not:
>     seaside
> No:
>     mvc

This discussion should involve the entire community. Please
leave comments here or at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5869

Matthew Fulmer

Re: Should Test-Driven Development be in the beginners tutorial?

Jason Rogers-4
As a TDD practictioner for almost 8 years, I can say from experience
that it doesn't double the work.  Doing TDD makes you think about the
design from the perspective of a real client (the test) as Ralph said.
 Chances are that you will get the interface you wanted through
testing much easier than without because you have the client there
telling you what you need as an interface.

I don't claim that TDD is the silver bullet, dogmatically forcing it
down the throats of others.  But I can easily say that I am much more
productive using TDD than without using it, just as I am much more
productive using Smalltalk than Java or C++ or Perl or Ruby or...

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:32:36 -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> I do not want to duplicate effort; I want to create a tutorial to take a
> programmer from "Squeak? Huh?" to "I know how to use squeak to develop
> useful applications, and I know where to go for help"
>
> The content and organization of the tutorial is an open topic.

Greetings,

Cincom has a pair of tutorials that are excellent.  They are intended for
people with little programming and no smalltalk experience.  They contain
lots of graphics and lots of links to more detailed information.  You are
guided through developing an application that analyzes web log stats by
first coding in a workspace and and then moving your code to methods.  The
first tutorial creates the classes and methods.  In the second you develop
a gui for the application and package it.  Along the way you learn the
basics of using smalltalk.  By the end you hunger for more.

While I'm sure you have your own ideas of content, you would do well to
look over their material:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=tutorials

I don't know if there are any legal or ethical considerations but perhaps
we could use the same application and content adapted for Squeak. I would
be willing to do the first tutorial and with the help of someone
knowledgeable in morphic, move on to the second.

I am also willing to edit and prepare content provided by others.

Chris

Re: [ANN] Squeak Documentation Team formation

Bert Freudenberg
Am 22.09.2006 um 20:32 schrieb Matthew Fulmer:

> to take a programmer from "Squeak? Huh?" to "I know how to use
> squeak to develop useful applications

... which is surprisingly hard. There was a (still unanswered)
question for a tutorial on the newbies list - how to write and deploy
(on various platforms) a program that just manipulates a text file.
Sounds simple, and would be simple in many other systems. The
question is if a tutorial could solve that or if there needs to be
system changes to make Squeak less strange for newcomers - or if we
explain to everyone why this is not simple, and should not be.

- Bert -

Squeak Beginners Tutorial

Tapple Gao
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:41:23AM -0400, Chris Kassopulo wrote:

> Cincom has a pair of tutorials that are excellent.  They are intended for
> people with little programming and no smalltalk experience.  They contain
> lots of graphics and lots of links to more detailed information.  You are
> guided through developing an application that analyzes web log stats by
> first coding in a workspace and and then moving your code to methods.  The
> first tutorial creates the classes and methods.  In the second you develop
> a gui for the application and package it.  Along the way you learn the
> basics of using smalltalk.  By the end you hunger for more.
>
> While I'm sure you have your own ideas of content, you would do well to
> look over their material:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=tutorials

<personal_opinion>

This is an excellent tutorial, and I hope our squeak tutorial
can be of similar quality. However, I think this tutorial is
unsuitable to a reader who is already familiar with blocks,
loops, classes, and methods. If one understands these topics,
the density of new information in the first tutorial is very
low. Our tutorial should be much shorter and denser, since we
are assuming that the reader already understands blocks, loops,
classes, and methods. I did not look at the second tutorial.

Also, the example of reading a log file did not seem very
interesting or exciting to me; it is also not a typical
application of Squeak.

</personal_opinion>

My idea for a demo application is a mock stock ticker. It would
consist of two components:

1.  A data "retrieval" class. This would not retrieve real data,
    but would make  up companies and numbers and send that data
    to a client. It would mostly be a wrapper around a
    Dictionary or something similar; it would be an easy first
    class to write.  It would also serve to introduce the reader
    to Collections and to the System Browser.

2.  A StockTickerMorph. This would take the data from the server
    class and present it in a "scrolling ticker" widget similar
    to the one on TV. Again the real functionality is minimal,
    but it would illustrate how easy it is to create custom
    animated widgets in Squeak and Morphic (I am assuming it is
    easy).

I admit that I am partial to pretty animations, and am not
really interested in routine tasks like parsing log files.
Also, I want to show the reader that Squeak not only makes
"easy" things easy (log file inspection), but also makes "cool"
things easy (animated widgets). I believe that is (or should be)
a major selling point for Squeak.

I realize I disagree with some of you about what should be in
the tutorial, and what applications are interesting. Most of
this disagreement can be summarized in three words: Morphic vs.
Seaside. I am on the Morphic side, and Bakki and Chris seem to
be on the Seaside side (Jason and Derek have not expressed an
opinion). I cannot predict whether a beginner will be more
interested in rich client development (Morphic), or web
development (Seaside), and a including both in a single tutorial
would make the tutorial broad rather than focused. Thus, I
think that we should include one in the tutorial and save the
other for later.

Why should Morphic be in the beginners tutorial, rather than
Seaside?
* Morphic comes with the default Squeak image
* Craig Latta wants a beginners tutorial on Morphic
* Morphic is "cooler" than web development

We could maintain a separate Seaside tutorial. However, we do
not currently have the organizational capacity to focus on more
than one project. I have said before:

The reason that previous documentation efforts failed is the
lack of focus. To succeed, we must press ahead. There is no
"ahead" unless we set a goal and work toward it. Our current
goal is reasonably small and well-defined. By achieving a small
goal, we will prove to the community and to ourselves that we
can achieve progressively bigger and better goals. Focus on the
task at hand; everything else will come in time.

> I am also willing to edit and prepare content provided by others.

Welcome to the team!

Matthew Fulmer

Re: Squeak Beginners Tutorial

Hiren Thacker
+1 for Morphic.

Hiren J.Thacker

Re: Squeak Beginners Tutorial

Michael Haupt-3

first of all, thank you, Matthew, for tackling this. I'd actively
contribute to documenting Squeak if I had the time. For now, I can
volunteer to read and try documentation, tutorials, and such, if you
like.

On 9/25/06, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I admit that I am partial to pretty animations, and am not
> really interested in routine tasks like parsing log files.
> Also, I want to show the reader that Squeak not only makes
> "easy" things easy (log file inspection), but also makes "cool"
> things easy (animated widgets). I believe that is (or should be)
> a major selling point for Squeak.

Here's another personal opinion. Frankly, that tutorial wouldn't make
me too happy. What about the (in my opinion, most important) things in
between "easy" and "cool" - i.e., plain pragmatic every-day GUIs? I
really think those should be covered in any case, "cool" animated
widgets notwithstanding.

Let me explain. Over the last few days, I've been trying for some time
to assemble a GUI as simple as this: a SystemWindow with a
PluggableListMorph in it.

I must admit two things: I'm not an experienced GUI programmer, and
quite possibly I didn't try too hard, though it took me some time. In
the end, I gave up because I couldn't figure out how to make the
PluggableListMorph appear below the window's title bar.

I don't believe that assembling a GUI as simple as this should be too
complicated. Maybe it's very easy. I just couldn't do it, and that's
frustrating. (BTW browsing and exploring some of the other
SystemWindow offsprings didn't help much.)

So, really, please, please consider having a go at "normal" GUI stuff
as well. If I can build a fancy animated GUI, that's nice and
impressive, but if I want to develop something that just needs to
display some lists in some panes (like, say, a browser), that's at
least as interesting and relevant.

For example, John Maloney's Morphic tutorial is great, but it doesn't
offer any help in this regard.

> I realize I disagree with some of you about what should be in
> the tutorial, and what applications are interesting. Most of
> this disagreement can be summarized in three words: Morphic vs.
> Seaside.

I'd add another: "cool" vs. "pragmatic" Morphic. ;-)

By the way, and contradicting what I wrote at the very beginning of
this e-mail, I think I could write some tutorial-like stuff if I
managed to get that little GUI up and running. Is that enough of a
teaser? ;-)

Best,

Michael

Re: Squeak Beginners Tutorial

cbeler
Really good initiative...
I'll try to help if time allows
> * Morphic is "cooler" than web development

not sure at all ;)
consider seaside + scriptaculous, and I find it really fun and easier
than morphic. Each time I try to dig into morphic, I just ran away !

But I agree that it's better to focus on one target and morphic is in
the squeak core ;)
> We could maintain a separate Seaside tutorial. However, we do
> not currently have the organizational capacity to focus on more
> than one project.
If the UI is simple, maybe I'll give a try to make it in seaside... or
even in magritte, as magritte is a metamodel that can render as a morph
or a seaside component...

but I agree, it's another tutorial !

Cédrick

123