[ANN] Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

[ANN] Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

Ben Coman

Just for the challenge of it...
Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a Travis linux box.

I'm pleased to report success.

Here are test results with a Squeak 5.2b image...
   4514 run, 4472 passes, 40 expected failures, 1 failures, 1 errors, 0

To try it, download vm from here...
and integrate image and sources from...
and you are right to go.

You can find a matching build log here...

and here are the required changes...

cheers -ben

Re: Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

Craig Latta

Hi Ben--

> Just for the challenge of it...
>
> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
> Travis linux box.
>
> I'm pleased to report success.

     Way cool!

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

Tobias Pape

Hi,

> On 09.01.2019, at 09:06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Ben--
>
>> Just for the challenge of it...
>>
>> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
>> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
>> Travis linux box.
>>
>> I'm pleased to report success.
>
>     Way cool!

Btw: Travis now also supports windows (early beta, tho): https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/windows/

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

fniephaus

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> On 09.01.2019, at 09:06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Ben--
>
>> Just for the challenge of it...
>>
>> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
>> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
>> Travis linux box.
>>
>> I'm pleased to report success.
>
>     Way cool!

Btw: Travis now also supports windows (early beta, tho): https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/windows/

That's very cool! Would you mind giving the new Windows builds on Travis a go as well? It'd be fantastic if we could bring all CI builds together. I don't know much about mingw compatibility, but I assume it's probably best to build on Windows if possible?

Fabio

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Squeak Windows built on Travis linux box

Nicolas Cellier

Le mer. 9 janv. 2019 à 11:23, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> On 09.01.2019, at 09:06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Ben--
>
>> Just for the challenge of it...
>>
>> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
>> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
>> Travis linux box.
>>
>> I'm pleased to report success.
>
>     Way cool!

Btw: Travis now also supports windows (early beta, tho): https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/windows/

That's very cool! Would you mind giving the new Windows builds on Travis a go as well? It'd be fantastic if we could bring all CI builds together. I don't know much about mingw compatibility, but I assume it's probably best to build on Windows if possible?

Fabio

And if we want to run tests, we need a windows machine anyway, whatever the build infrastructure.

Best regards
        -Tobias

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 18:38, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le mer. 9 janv. 2019 à 11:23, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> On 09.01.2019, at 09:06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Ben--
>
>> Just for the challenge of it...
>>
>> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
>> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
>> Travis linux box.
>>
>> I'm pleased to report success.
>
>     Way cool!

Btw: Travis now also supports windows (early beta, tho): https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/windows/

That is what actually kicked off this experiment.  The Travis Windows host doesn't come with Cygwin pre-installed and installing it might take 10 minutes
and then I discovered mingw was pre-installed on their Ubuntu Xenial boxes, so I thought it was worth a try.

That's very cool! Would you mind giving the new Windows builds on Travis a go as well? It'd be fantastic if we could bring all CI builds together. I don't know much about mingw compatibility, but I assume it's probably best to build on Windows if possible?

Before trying on Travis I got the the Windows build working locally on my Win10 Windows Subsystem for Linux (Ubuntu Xenial) install.
Travis report that WSL will be preinstalled... https://travis-ci.community/t/support-for-cygwin-or-wsl/440.
From what I've read recently I don't think building on the Windows side much advantage.
Under mingw is *still* a cross-compiling when you run it under Cygwin shell, and mingw cross-compiling from a Ubuntu shell is no different.

The only impediment is that mingw-clang is not preinstalled on Travis Linux box, which blocked me from building some of Pharo's third-party libs.
But I'm not sure the impact of that. Subsequently I read that clang was fundamentally designed to cross compile from single binary
versus gcc producing a separate binary for each cross compiler.  So maybe its just a matter of getting clang's --host & --target flags set right.
There are also some options like wclang to help. (https://github.com/tpoechtrager/wclang)

And if we want to run tests, we need a windows machine anyway, whatever the build infrastructure.

AFAIA tests are currently not being run Windows anyway ;)

But anyway, once the vm executable is created, it seems that can be invoked from the WSL side. See "Windows <-> Linux Interop" here...

So yes, I'd be glad dig into Windows boxen on Travis.
cheers -ben

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 00:40, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 18:38, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le mer. 9 janv. 2019 à 11:23, Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi,
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:28 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

> On 09.01.2019, at 09:06, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Ben--
>
>> Just for the challenge of it...
>>
>> Following on from my experiment building a Windows hello-world on a
>> Travis linux box, I had a go at building a Squeak-Windows VM on a
>> Travis linux box.
>>
>> I'm pleased to report success.
>
>     Way cool!

Btw: Travis now also supports windows (early beta, tho): https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/reference/windows/

That is what actually kicked off this experiment.  The Travis Windows host doesn't come with Cygwin pre-installed and installing it might take 10 minutes
and then I discovered mingw was pre-installed on their Ubuntu Xenial boxes, so I thought it was worth a try.

That's very cool! Would you mind giving the new Windows builds on Travis a go as well? It'd be fantastic if we could bring all CI builds together. I don't know much about mingw compatibility, but I assume it's probably best to build on Windows if possible?

Before trying on Travis I got the the Windows build working locally on my Win10 Windows Subsystem for Linux (Ubuntu Xenial) install.
Travis report that WSL will be preinstalled... https://travis-ci.community/t/support-for-cygwin-or-wsl/440.
From what I've read recently I don't think building on the Windows side much advantage.
[...]

Ahhh... its doesn't come out of the box with Cygwin, but does have mingw and git-bash.

cheers -ben