[ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

[ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

Patrick R.
Hi everyone,

I am happy to announce the release of the new 5.3 edition of Squeak by Example!

The new edition includes:
* All code examples are updated to the classes and protocols available in Squeak 5.3
* All figures rendered with the current version of tools
* New sections and paragraphs (e.g. Exceptions, Advanced Tools, Sort Functions)
* Minor corrections all over the place

You can get the new book here:
https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english/releases/download/5.3/SqueakByExample_5_3.pdf

The new edition has been made possible by the help from numerous people from the Software Architecture Group. Thanks goes to all of them!

Best wishes and relaxed holidays to all of you,
Patrick

P.S.: If you would like to contribute (text, code, issues), the repository of the book is at: https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english

Re: [ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

timrowledge

> On 2020-12-18, at 8:57 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english/releases/download/5.3/

Thank you very much to everyone that has contributed to this. I've been pointing people to the prior version (with warnings about it being a bit outdated) for ages, so having a new shiny version is very exciting.

tim
<-------- The information went data way -------->

Re: [ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

Squeak - Dev mailing list
Thank you for your work!

---- On Fri, 18 Dec 2020 11:57:38 -0500 [hidden email] wrote ----

[...]

jrm

Re: [ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

K K Subbu
Patrick,

Thank you and your team for this nice holiday season gift. I have
updated Swiki page for "Squeak by example" at

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6546

to refer to this book.

HTH .. Subbu

On 18/12/20 10:27 pm, Rein, Patrick wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am happy to announce the release of the new 5.3 edition of Squeak by Example!
>
> The new edition includes:
> * All code examples are updated to the classes and protocols available in Squeak 5.3
> * All figures rendered with the current version of tools
> * New sections and paragraphs (e.g. Exceptions, Advanced Tools, Sort Functions)
> * Minor corrections all over the place
>
> You can get the new book here:
> https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english/releases/download/5.3/SqueakByExample_5_3.pdf
>
> The new edition has been made possible by the help from numerous people from the Software Architecture Group. Thanks goes to all of them!
>
> Best wishes and relaxed holidays to all of you,
> Patrick
>
> P.S.: If you would like to contribute (text, code, issues), the repository of the book is at: https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english

Re: [ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

codefrau
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:57 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Wow, awesome! Thank you!

Vanessa

Re: [ANN] Squeak by Example (Edition 5.3) out now :)

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:57 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am happy to announce the release of the new 5.3 edition of Squeak by Example!

The new edition includes:
* All code examples are updated to the classes and protocols available in Squeak 5.3
* All figures rendered with the current version of tools
* New sections and paragraphs (e.g. Exceptions, Advanced Tools, Sort Functions)
* Minor corrections all over the place

You can get the new book here:
https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english/releases/download/5.3/SqueakByExample_5_3.pdf

The new edition has been made possible by the help from numerous people from the Software Architecture Group. Thanks goes to all of them!

Best wishes and relaxed holidays to all of you,
Patrick

Wow!  Thanks Patrick and the SOftware Architecture Group!  This is really exciting!! Seeing a guide to the Smalltalk system that I recognise, that is bang up to the minute is so cool.  I honestly think this is the first ever up-to-date guide I've ever used.  Super cool.

P.S.: If you would like to contribute (text, code, issues), the repository of the book is at: https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/SqueakByExample-english

--
best, Eliot