[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

12

[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Steve Moffitt
Cool...Cool...Cool... loved the package universe --  had everything I
use up and running with so little effort. Thanks Damien, Edgar, Ralph
et al -- appreciate all the work.

Steve

RE: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Ramon Leon-5
> Cool...Cool...Cool... loved the package universe --  had
> everything I use up and running with so little effort. Thanks
> Damien, Edgar, Ralph et al -- appreciate all the work.
>
> Steve

Ditto, the dev image and the package universe rocks, I've never setup an
image with less effort.  Keep up the good work.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Andreas.Raab
Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
feet. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the intent of Universes, but
isn't the idea that the packages are tested together before they get
released? Like, in this version (107) Rio-Kernel explodes on me in its
initialization (and from the way the code looks it couldn't possibly
work - it needs a valid RioKernel::Default to initialize
RioKernel::Default); trying to browse to some class has Whisker explode
straight into my face (something about MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph
not liking something from WhiskerWindow>>selectClass:), etc.

What am I doing wrong? Have these packages been tested? Should I expect
them to work? My understanding was that the difference between Universes
and Squeakmap is that Universes only include things that actually play
together, is this understanding wrong?

Thanks for any insights - I'm really wondering if I'm using this wrongly
or if I have wrong expectations; I tried about three Squeak-dev versions
all with similar results and since I see people raving about Squeak-dev
and Universes I suspect I might be doing something wrong here...

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Ramon Leon wrote:

>> Cool...Cool...Cool... loved the package universe --  had
>> everything I use up and running with so little effort. Thanks
>> Damien, Edgar, Ralph et al -- appreciate all the work.
>>
>> Steve
>
> Ditto, the dev image and the package universe rocks, I've never setup an
> image with less effort.  Keep up the good work.
>
> Ramon Leon
> http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Andreas.Raab
PS. In case anyone is interested, here are the error reports from my
last two problems:

10 April 2007 11:50:22 pm

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.10alpha [latest update: #7083]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev
Trusted Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev\andreas
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\andreas

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathJoin:
        Receiver: nil
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: pathJoin: 'C:/Squeak/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-beta-107.image'
        Receiver's instance variables:
nil

RioKernel>>full
        Receiver: (RioKernel new: 'C:/Squeak/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-beta-107.image')
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                value: 'C:/Squeak/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-beta-107.image'

RioKernel>>parent
        Receiver: (RioKernel new: 'C:/Squeak/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-beta-107.image')
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                value: 'C:/Squeak/squeak-dev/squeak-dev-beta-107.image'

RioKernel class>>getDefault
        Receiver: RioKernel
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                superclass: RioWin32
                methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#/->a CompiledMethod (502) #asRio->a
CompiledMet...etc...
                format: 132
                instanceVariables: #('value')
                organization: ('as yet unclassified' / printOn: setPath:
splitToPathAndName:)
(...etc...
                subclasses: nil
                name: #RioKernel
                classPool: a Dictionary(#Default->nil )
                sharedPools: nil
                environment: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
                category: #'Rio-Kernel'
                traitComposition: nil
                localSelectors: nil

--- The full stack ---
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathJoin:
RioKernel>>full
RioKernel>>parent
RioKernel class>>getDefault
RioKernel class>>startUp
RioKernel class>>initialize
MCMethodDefinition>>postload
MCMethodDefinition(MCDefinition)>>postloadOver:
[] in MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad {[:ea | ea   postloadOver: (self
obsoletionFor: ea)]}
[] in OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>do:displayingProgress:
{[:each :i |  bar value: i.  aBlock value: each]}
OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>withIndexDo:
[] in OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>do:displayingProgress:
{[:bar | self   withIndexDo: [:each :i |     bar value: i.    aBlock
value: e...]}
[] in ProgressInitiationException>>defaultMorphicAction {[result :=
workBlock value: progress]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultMorphicAction
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
OrderedCollection(SequenceableCollection)>>do:displayingProgress:
[] in MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad {[additions   do: [:ea | self
tryToLoad: ea]   displayingProgress: 'Loading.....]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad {[[additions   do: [:ea | self
tryToLoad: ea]   displayingProgress: 'Loading....]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
MCPackageLoader>>basicLoad
[] in MCPackageLoader>>loadWithNameLike: {[self basicLoad]}
[] in MCPackageLoader>>useChangeSetNamed:during: {[aBlock value]}
BlockContext>>ensure:
MCPackageLoader>>useChangeSetNamed:during:
MCPackageLoader>>useNewChangeSetNamedLike:during:
MCPackageLoader>>loadWithNameLike:
MCVersionLoader>>load
MCVersionLoader class>>loadVersion:
MCVersion>>load
MCMczReader class(MCVersionReader class)>>loadVersionFile:
[] in UIMonticello>>installFileNamed: {[:reader | ^ reader
loadVersionFile: filename]}
SystemDictionary(Dictionary)>>at:ifPresent:
UIMonticello>>installFileNamed:
UInstaller class>>installFileNamed:
UPackage>>install
UConfiguration>>installPackage:
[] in UUniverseBrowser>>doInstall {[configuration installPackage: p]}
[] in Utilities class>>informUser:during: {[aBlock value]}
MVCMenuMorph>>displayAt:during:
Utilities class>>informUser:during:
[] in UUniverseBrowser>>doInstall {[:p | Utilities   informUser:
'installing ' , p printString   during: [confi...]}
OrderedCollection>>do:
UUniverseBrowser>>doInstall
PluggableButtonMorph>>performAction
...etc...

10 April 2007 11:49:55 pm

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.10alpha [latest update: #7083]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev
Trusted Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev\andreas
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\andreas

OrderedCollection(Object)>>error:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection()
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aString: 'Object is not in the collection.'
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #(nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
                firstIndex: 3
                lastIndex: 2

OrderedCollection(Collection)>>errorNotFound:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection()
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anObject: [] in
MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph>>selectByExpandingThroughColle...etc...
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #(nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
                firstIndex: 3
                lastIndex: 2

[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect: {[self errorNotFound: aBlock]}
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [] in
MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph>>selectByExpandingThroughCollect...etc...

OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:
        Receiver: an OrderedCollection()
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aBlock: [] in
MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph>>selectByExpandingThroughCollect...etc...
                exceptionBlock: [] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect: {[self
errorNotFou...etc...
                each: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                array: #(nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil)
                firstIndex: 3
                lastIndex: 2

--- The full stack ---
OrderedCollection(Object)>>error:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>errorNotFound:
[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect: {[self errorNotFound: aBlock]}
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:
[] in
MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph>>selectByExpandingThroughCollection:
{[:eachItem |  morph := siblings     detect: [:itemMorph | itemMorph
complexC...]}
OrderedCollection>>do:
MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph>>selectByExpandingThroughCollection:
WhiskerWindow>>selectClass:
WhiskerBrowser class>>openExistingBrowserOnClass:selector:
WhiskerBrowser class>>openExistingBrowserOnClass:selector:
WhiskerBrowser class>>openExistingBrowserOnClass:
[] in TextMorphForShoutEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>browseIt {[aSymbol first
isUppercase   ifTrue: [anEntry := Smalltalk       at: aSymbol...]}
TextMorphForShoutEditor(Controller)>>terminateAndInitializeAround:
TextMorphForShoutEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>browseIt
TextMorphForShoutEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>browseIt:
TextMorphForShoutEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>dispatchOnCharacter:with:
TextMorphForShoutEditor(TextMorphEditor)>>dispatchOnCharacter:with:
TextMorphForShoutEditor(ParagraphEditor)>>readKeyboard
TextMorphForShoutEditor(TextMorphEditor)>>readKeyboard
[] in TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>keyStroke: {[editor readKeyboard]}
TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorphForEditView)>>handleInteraction:fromEvent:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorphForEditView)>>keyStroke:
TextMorphForShout(TextMorph)>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorphForShout(Morph)>>handleEvent:
TextMorphForShout(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear: {[ActiveHand := self.
ActiveEvent := anEvent.  result := focusHolder     han...]}
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring: {[aBlock value]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor: {[:h |  ActiveHand := h.  h
processEvents.  capturingGesture := capturingGest...]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor terminateActive]}

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Andreas,

2007/4/11, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
> that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
> feet.

You should have told us immediately :-)

> I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the intent of Universes, but
> isn't the idea that the packages are tested together before they get
> released?

You are right. Packages in the universe have to work together.
However, there are several things you (and others) should know:

- Squeak-dev images use a Development Universe, this is not a stable
universe. Things evolve. There are bugs and I'm waiting for feedback.
There is a 3.7 universe, a 3.8 universe and a 3.9 universe. There are
stable.
- I'm nearly the only one who is updating the Development Universe so
I can't test everyhing.
- If nobody tells me something does not work, it won't evolve unless I
notice a new version that can be tried.

> Like, in this version (107) Rio-Kernel explodes on me in its
> initialization (and from the way the code looks it couldn't possibly
> work - it needs a valid RioKernel::Default to initialize
> RioKernel::Default); trying to browse to some class has Whisker explode
> straight into my face (something about MultiSelectHierarchicalListMorph
> not liking something from WhiskerWindow>>selectClass:), etc.

- I tried Rio and Rio-Kernel a little bit before publishing on
Universe. I didn't saw your problem. I've just tried again and still
can't reproduce. However, if I load the tests from SqueakSource, they
don't pass. I will then update the Universe with the last version from
monticello in a few minutes.

> What am I doing wrong? Have these packages been tested? Should I expect
> them to work? My understanding was that the difference between Universes
> and Squeakmap is that Universes only include things that actually play
> together, is this understanding wrong?

The main difference between Universes and SqueakMap, as I understand
it, is that someone can group known-to-work packages in a universe
made for a given Squeak version. If there is a problem with a package,
I can still upgrade it to a newer version or remove it from the
universe.

> Thanks for any insights - I'm really wondering if I'm using this wrongly
> or if I have wrong expectations; I tried about three Squeak-dev versions
> all with similar results and since I see people raving about Squeak-dev
> and Universes I suspect I might be doing something wrong here...

It doesn't seem you are doing something wrong execept the fact you
didn't notified me before :-). About Rio, you may want to wait a few
minutes that a new version of both Rio and Rio-Kernel appears and try
it. If you still have problems, please tell us and tell Keith.

Bye

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Damien Cassou-3
Hi again,

I can't make last Rio versions to load. I will contact Keith.

Bye

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

stephane ducasse
> You are right. Packages in the universe have to work together.
> However, there are several things you (and others) should know:
>
> - Squeak-dev images use a Development Universe, this is not a stable
> universe. Things evolve. There are bugs and I'm waiting for feedback.
> There is a 3.7 universe, a 3.8 universe and a 3.9 universe. There are
> stable.

> - I'm nearly the only one who is updating the Development Universe so
> I can't test everyhing.

Damien can you explain the relationship between 3.9 and dev
dev = working on current alpha?

2007/4/11, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Damien can you explain the relationship between 3.9 and dev
> dev = working on current alpha?

Lex should be able to better explain I guess. The 3.9 universe is
closed for some months now. You can download a 3.9 image with the 3.9
universe here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5894.

The Development universe is for experiments. This is where I try to
put up-to-date packages. This should be the base for the 3.10 image.

Am I clear? Am I right, Lex?

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

keith1y
Regarding Rio,

I wouldn't describe Rio as stable just yet, I would still mark it as
'alpha'. It is definitely usable and Damien is being keen including it
in his development universe.

Recently I have been hacking Rio about like there is no tomorrow, in
order to support Windows, which it now does.

The current versions are Rio-Kernel-kph.83 , Rio-Grande-kph.12 ,
Rio-Test-kph.40

Now that LocalFileSystem support is fairly well defined and tested and I
am moving on to look at other things, namely supporting ZipArchives and
Remote servers through the same API.

regards

Keith

Damien Cassou wrote:
> 2007/4/11, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
>> that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
>> feet.
>
> You should have told us immediately :-)

Apparently so. Two more packages that fail to load are Video and Image
Processing as well as Units (debug logs below). I think an automated
test that ensures that the packages can at least be loaded would be of
great help here - I just tried to pick a couple that sounded interesting
and (so far) roughly about 1/3rd don't even load. (another thing to fix
is to make it possible to deselect a package - if one fails to load, you
need to open a new universe browser and select all the same packages again).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

11 April 2007 8:47:22 pm

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.10alpha [latest update: #7083]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev
Trusted Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev\andreas
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\andreas

Float(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #units:
        Receiver: 4046.87260987
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: units: a CompoundUnit [square meters]
        Receiver's instance variables:
4046.87260987

NamedUnit class>>initializeAreaUnits
        Receiver: NamedUnit
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                superclass: Unit
                methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#abbreviation->a CompiledMethod (26)
#abbreviati...etc...
                format: 136
                instanceVariables: #('abbreviation' 'name' 'pluralName')
                organization: ('accessing' abbreviation name pluralName)
('initialization' abbr...etc...
                subclasses: {BaseUnit . DerivedUnit}
                name: #NamedUnit
                classPool: a Dictionary(#UnitsByAbbreviation->a Dictionary()
#UnitsByName->a Di...etc...
                sharedPools: nil
                environment: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
                category: #Units
                traitComposition: nil
                localSelectors: nil

NamedUnit class>>initializeUnits
        Receiver: NamedUnit
        Arguments and temporary variables:

        Receiver's instance variables:
                superclass: Unit
                methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#abbreviation->a CompiledMethod (26)
#abbreviati...etc...
                format: 136
                instanceVariables: #('abbreviation' 'name' 'pluralName')
                organization: ('accessing' abbreviation name pluralName)
('initialization' abbr...etc...
                subclasses: {BaseUnit . DerivedUnit}
                name: #NamedUnit
                classPool: a Dictionary(#UnitsByAbbreviation->a Dictionary()
#UnitsByName->a Di...etc...
                sharedPools: nil
                environment: a SystemDictionary(lots of globals)
                category: #Units
                traitComposition: nil
                localSelectors: nil

NamedUnit class>>initializeClass
        Receiver: NamedUnit
[...]

Unit class>>initialize
[...]

11 April 2007 8:44:15 pm

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.10alpha [latest update: #7083]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev
Trusted Dir C:\Squeak\squeak-dev\andreas
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\andreas

Metaclass(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #category
        Receiver: VPCamera class
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: category
        Receiver's instance variables:
                superclass: VPVideoSource class
                methodDict: a MethodDictionary(#cameras->a CompiledMethod (3889)
#clearCameras-...etc...
                format: 156
                instanceVariables: nil
                organization: ('class initialization' initialize)
('instance creation' cameras ...etc...
                thisClass: VPCamera
                traitComposition: nil
                localSelectors: nil

Parser>>notify:at:
        Receiver: a Parser
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                string: '> expected'
                location: 172
        Receiver's instance variables:
                source: a ReadStream 'apiCapGetDriverDescription: drvNo with: drvName
with: nam...etc...
                mark: 181
                hereChar: Character space
                aheadChar: $'
                token: 'bool'
                tokenType: #word
                currentComment: an OrderedCollection('Fills drvName and drvVer with
the name an...etc...
                buffer: a WriteStream 'bool'
                typeTable: #(#xBinary #xBinary #xBinary #xBinary #xBinary #xBinary
#xBinary #xB...etc...
                here: 'apicall:'
                hereType: #keyword
                hereMark: 172
                hereEnd: 179
                prevMark: 171
                prevEnd: 171
                encoder: {an Encoder}
                requestor: nil
                parseNode: nil
                failBlock: [] in Compiler>>translate:noPattern:ifFail: {[^ failBlock
value]}
                requestorOffset: 0
                tempsMark: nil
                doitFlag: false
                properties: nil
                category: #'private - api calls'

Parser>>expected:
        Receiver: a Parser
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aString: '>'
[...]

Parser>>pragmaSequence
        Receiver: a Parser
[...]

Parser>>method:context:encoder:
[] in Parser>>parse:class:noPattern:context:notifying:ifFail: {[methNode
:= self     method: noPattern     context: ctxt     encoder: (Enco...]}
BlockContext>>on:do:
Parser>>parse:class:noPattern:context:notifying:ifFail:
Parser>>parse:class:category:noPattern:context:notifying:ifFail:
Compiler>>translate:noPattern:ifFail:
Compiler>>compile:in:classified:notifying:ifFail:
Metaclass(Behavior)>>compile:classified:notifying:trailer:ifFail:
Metaclass(TraitDescription)>>compile:classified:withStamp:notifying:logSource:
Metaclass(TraitDescription)>>compile:classified:withStamp:notifying:
...etc...

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

J J-6
>From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107
>Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:59:33 +0200
>
>The main difference between Universes and SqueakMap, as I understand
>it, is that someone can group known-to-work packages in a universe
>made for a given Squeak version. If there is a problem with a package,
>I can still upgrade it to a newer version or remove it from the
>universe.

My understanding was that the biggest difference was that Universes keeps
track of package dependencies (and resolves them) without the builder of the
package having to resort to some kind of scripting.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.

ATTN Lex - Universes feedback (was Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107)

J J-6
Figured a subject change was probably in order.

On the testing comment, the packages aren't supposed to go in if they don't
work, or do you mean have some automated testing before allowing a package
to be put in?

2007/4/11, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:
> I can't make last Rio versions to load. I will contact Keith.

Keith published a new version which is now on universe. Thank you for
the bug report.

Damien Cassou

2007/4/12, J J <[hidden email]>:

> >From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
> >To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
> >list"<[hidden email]>
> >Subject: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107
> >Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:59:33 +0200
> >
> >The main difference between Universes and SqueakMap, as I understand
> >it, is that someone can group known-to-work packages in a universe
> >made for a given Squeak version. If there is a problem with a package,
> >I can still upgrade it to a newer version or remove it from the
> >universe.
>
> My understanding was that the biggest difference was that Universes keeps
> track of package dependencies (and resolves them) without the builder of the
> package having to resort to some kind of scripting.

Each package in the universe can define a list of other depending packages.

Damien Cassou

RE: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Ramon Leon-5
> Each package in the universe can define a list of other
> depending packages.
> Damien Cassou

Really.... every package in the whole universe... Wow... lol

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

J J-6
>From: "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107
>Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:24:24 +0200
>
>Each package in the universe can define a list of other depending packages.

Yes, and my understanding of Squeakmap is that it doesn't have this
functionality.  If you want it you must make some kind of script (which
probably wont compose with other scripts, etc. etc.).

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Lex Spoon-3
Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> writes:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
> > 2007/4/11, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> >> Hm ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but each version of Squeak-dev
> >> that I've tried to load something from Universes in exploded under my
> >> feet.
> > You should have told us immediately :-)
>
> Apparently so. Two more packages that fail to load are Video and Image
> Processing as well as Units (debug logs below).

Reports like this are very helpful, and are important for improving
the development universe.  Thank you!

You can leave these bugs on Mantis if you like.  Post such bugs
against "packages" and, if the package is not listed there (which is
likely), post against "Any" package.  If you are especially eager,
then also send an email to whoever is in the "maintainer" entry.

(I've posted this info on the wiki now.)

> I think an automated
> test that ensures that the packages can at least be loaded would be of
> great help here.

Yes, it would be.

> - I just tried to pick a couple that sounded
> interesting and (so far) roughly about 1/3rd don't even load.

That's a depressing rate if it generalizes past your tests.  It is
like Damien says, though: even with Damien working all the time on
this, he's just one person.  So please everyone do post bugs when you
find them.  They are acted upon.

> (another thing to fix is to make it possible to deselect a package -
> if one fails to load, you need to open a new universe browser and
> select all the same packages again).

Agreed.  Uninstall would also be nice, for people nice enough to post
Monticello packages.  (If you post a SAR or a changeset, then
uninstall is a real nuisance to implement, and is heuristic in the
best case.)

Lex

"Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Each package in the universe can define a list of other
> > depending packages.
> > Damien Cassou
>
> Really.... every package in the whole universe... Wow... lol

Yes, there are many word games there, and a lot of them are even
accurate.  Just remember that, even though there is more than one
universe, most people live in just one of them.  -Lex

"J J" <[hidden email]> writes:
> >The main difference between Universes and SqueakMap, as I understand
> >it, is that someone can group known-to-work packages in a universe
> >made for a given Squeak version. If there is a problem with a package,
> >I can still upgrade it to a newer version or remove it from the
> >universe.
>
> My understanding was that the biggest difference was that Universes
> keeps track of package dependencies (and resolves them) without the
> builder of the package having to resort to some kind of scripting.

You are both right.  The reason that package-universes dependencies
are so simple is that the list of available packages is limited.  So I
think of the second issue as more fundamental than the first: a
package universe includes a *limited* set of packages.  Lots of things
become possible due to this simple first step.

The precise limits depend on the specific universe.  For the existing
stable releases (3.7 and 3.9), all packages must load.  For 3.9, all
packages must *simultaneously* load, i.e. they must not obviously
trounce each other.  For the development universe, we are all playing
it by ear, and since Damien is doing most of the actual work, his
ideas are the most influential.

Everyone is welcome to help out, though:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3785

Also, the precise rules for the public universes should be an issue
for the community.  Feedback is very welcome if you think things
should be done differently.  The 3.10 mailing list is a good place to
discuss these issues right now, since the current release team has
made packages a priority.

Lex

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 107

Tim Johnson-6

> Reports like this are very helpful, and are important for improving
> the development universe.  Thank you!

Hello,

I'll add one :)

Trying to load VMMaker version 3.8b6 results in the following message
(after FFI is loaded):

This package depends on the following classes:
  KlattResonatorIndices
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these
definitions:
  KlattSynthesizerPlugin
  KlattSynthesizerPlugin classSide>>declareCVarsIn:
  KlattSynthesizerPlugin classSide>>initialize
[...]

It is unclear from the message whether clicking "Proceed" and then
installing KlattXXX manually will resolve the dependencies.  Will it?
Should that be made more clear?  Or should KlattXXX be added as a
dependency of VMMaker so the error message doesn't appear at all?  Beats
me -- I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm just brainstorming.

Thanks,
Tim Johnson

12