[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

12

[ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Damien Cassou-3
queak-dev image is an image made for squeak developers.

*Important notice:* This version is based on Squeak 3.10 7091.

You can download it here:
http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/beta/

Changes in this version:
------------------------------
- Based on 3.10 7091.
- Adds ProcessBrowser back to the ToolsFlap (thanks goes to Mathieu
Suen for having notified me)
- The logo is not against window border anymore and it's looking
better (thanks goes to Damien Pollet for the implementation)
- Flap tab 'tools' toggle on mouse over (thanks goes to Mathieu Suen
for the implementation)
- Tools flap is bigger (thanks goes to Mathieu Suen for the implementation)

Lots of packages have been added and updated in the Universe (VMMaker,
Shout, Units and a lot more). There is even a new category named 'Web
Development Beta' with Seaside 2.8, Magritte, Pier...

Updating the image:
-------------------------

You are not obliged to download a new image if you don't want. You can
always update your image.

To upgrade your already existing squeak-dev image:

1) World menu->open...->Package Universe Browser
2) Update list from network
3) Select all upgrades
4) Install selection
5) Execute: 'DEVImageCreator default install' (all windows will be closed)

Prepared packages:
--------------------------

There are a lot of packages prepared for you in this image. They are
not loaded in the image, but they can be easily.

- Open Package Universe Browser (world->open...->Package Universe Browser).
- Click on "Update list from network"
- Wait a few seconds
- Select your packages
- Install them

Future work:
----------------

- Wait for feedback.
- Follow Squeak 3.10 beta releases.
- Think about a new way of naming the image version. This is because
currently, the version is based on the Monticello repository version.
However, the big updates/changes now happen in the universe directly
and I don't have to touch the source code anymore.

Please tell me what is your experience with this version. Please tell me
what you want for this image, this is for you.

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Martial Boniou
Thanks! The upgrade works well from 107. Just the old logo is still
here after the image creation but it's nothing.

Very great job. 6 months ago I started to use your dev-image and I saw
the (r)evolution.

--
Martial
An happy dev-image user

Damien Cassou a écrit :
| queak-dev image is an image made for squeak developers.
|

| *Important notice:* This version is based on Squeak 3.10 7091.
|

| You can download it here:
| http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-dev/beta/
|
| Changes in this version:
| ------------------------------
| - Based on 3.10 7091.
| - Adds ProcessBrowser back to the ToolsFlap (thanks goes to Mathieu
| Suen for having notified me)
| - The logo is not against window border anymore and it's looking
| better (thanks goes to Damien Pollet for the implementation)
| - Flap tab 'tools' toggle on mouse over (thanks goes to Mathieu Suen
| for the implementation)
| - Tools flap is bigger (thanks goes to Mathieu Suen for the implementation)

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Damien Cassou-3
I've just uploaded a squeak-dev-beta-114-2.zip. The previous image was
19MB, this one is 9MB only: smaller than the official released 3.9
which is 11MB :-)

Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/18/07 8:48 AM, "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I've just uploaded a squeak-dev-beta-114-2.zip. The previous image was
> 19MB, this one is 9MB only: smaller than the official released 3.9
> which is 11MB :-)
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

And when beta, become smaller.
Remember what I sharping my axe for Etoys and Nebraska ...
That's why I cooking a FunSqueak 3.10 behind scenes with the return of many
old friends as Fabrik, Wonderland, Connectors, MathMorphs, all good Games
and some bad from me, the PlayWithme, etc.

And without Etoys.
With the deep respects , 3.10 could do better what OLPC .
Child grow faster as his parents (and teachers) think

Edgar

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
Edgar

would it be possible to get regular notices of what is happening in
3.10.
For example what have been removed/harvested....

Stef

El 4/18/07 5:13 PM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar
>
> would it be possible to get regular notices of what is happening in
> 3.10.
> For example what have been removed/harvested....
>
> Stef

Yes, you should look to:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919 " The 3.10 release " Ralph tell all what
the plan is and how collaborate
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5975 " History of the 3.10 release" I
actualize the page when do some
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5976 "3.10 ENH from Mantis' Here I pictured
only TallySupport and SpeedTalkingStreams, but I harvesting Mantis and was
more ENH into 3.10

The removed now was:
    #('Flash' 'StarSqueak' 'SmaCC' 'Speech' 'Movies' 'FixUnderscores' 'OB'
'OmniBrowser' )

Scheduled for remove when we reach beta is Etoys and Nebraska

I building and enjoying a FUNSqueak 3.10 with all our beloved old friends ,
Fabrik, MathMorphs, Wonderland, Games (lots), etc

Now I listening my music thanks what Bob once do wonderful Squeak

http://www.bobjectsinc.com/squeakamp/
And having all this is almost iTunes size.

But Damien could tell all this to you as he is working hard  :=)

What still I could't is doing any what touch Multillingual and the very good
http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_reminder_page.php?bug_id=6348 of Martin v. Löwis
what also only could be harvested if we fileIn the four .cs in the way
designed for he.
Any attemp of use the 3.10 process of fake .cs for the updates stream fails.
This fake .cs was only a postcript of the form

7091PluggableListMorphfix.cs
"To follow this see
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id= 4719"
ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10 new updatePackages: 'Morphic-edc.120(119).mcd'

I send reminders to Goran as I found Network code what is not into 3.10 and
wish he approve or not ( in Mantis from... 2004 in one case)

I have what seems safe
7092NetworkEnh
"Collect changes of :
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id= 1739
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1643

You always are welcomed to 3.10 list or asking any private if you wish.

Edgar

Picture 2.jpg (41K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
Ok but please do the same as what we did with marcus.
Send a small text explaining what is new in each new number
It does not work to go to the web page. The web page is good for
people having time to go there.

Stef

On 19 avr. 07, at 00:00, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/18/07 5:13 PM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
>> Edgar
>>
>> would it be possible to get regular notices of what is happening in
>> 3.10.
>> For example what have been removed/harvested....
>>
>> Stef
>
> Yes, you should look to:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5919 " The 3.10 release " Ralph tell
> all what
> the plan is and how collaborate
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5975 " History of the 3.10 release" I
> actualize the page when do some
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5976 "3.10 ENH from Mantis' Here I
> pictured
> only TallySupport and SpeedTalkingStreams, but I harvesting Mantis
> and was
> more ENH into 3.10
>
> The removed now was:
>     #('Flash' 'StarSqueak' 'SmaCC' 'Speech' 'Movies'
> 'FixUnderscores' 'OB'
> 'OmniBrowser' )
>
> Scheduled for remove when we reach beta is Etoys and Nebraska
>
> I building and enjoying a FUNSqueak 3.10 with all our beloved old
> friends ,
> Fabrik, MathMorphs, Wonderland, Games (lots), etc
>
> Now I listening my music thanks what Bob once do wonderful Squeak
>
> http://www.bobjectsinc.com/squeakamp/
> And having all this is almost iTunes size.
>
> But Damien could tell all this to you as he is working hard  :=)
>
> What still I could't is doing any what touch Multillingual and the
> very good
> http://bugs.squeak.org/bug_reminder_page.php?bug_id=6348 of Martin
> v. Löwis
> what also only could be harvested if we fileIn the four .cs in the way
> designed for he.
> Any attemp of use the 3.10 process of fake .cs for the updates
> stream fails.
> This fake .cs was only a postcript of the form
>
> 7091PluggableListMorphfix.cs
> "To follow this see
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id= 4719"
> ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10 new updatePackages: 'Morphic-edc.120(119).mcd'
>
> I send reminders to Goran as I found Network code what is not into
> 3.10 and
> wish he approve or not ( in Mantis from... 2004 in one case)
>
> I have what seems safe
> 7092NetworkEnh
> "Collect changes of :
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id= 1739
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=1643
>
> You always are welcomed to 3.10 list or asking any private if you
> wish.
>
> Edgar
>
> <Picture 2.jpg>

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
Did you try to fix the underscores in the other packages?
Because this is something to do even if some packages will be quite
difficult to do.

Stef

El 4/19/07 4:23 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Ok but please do the same as what we did with marcus.
> Send a small text explaining what is new in each new number
> It does not work to go to the web page. The web page is good for
> people having time to go there.
>
> Stef

In the next complete image I put a HistoryMorph what tell all.

If you don't have time for reading web page, what about endless hours
dedicated to 3.10 ?

I could use to get some money for travel to ESUG or for buy the new cool
iMac 24"

Edgar

El 4/19/07 4:24 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Did you try to fix the underscores in the other packages?
> Because this is something to do even if some packages will be quite
> difficult to do.
>
> Stef

I DNU.

I don't do new code, only harvest what was in Mantis and fills the Ralph
required quality.

And apply the release team process.

Edgar

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
Ok if you do not want to understand don't!

>> Ok but please do the same as what we did with marcus.
>> Send a small text explaining what is new in each new number
>> It does not work to go to the web page. The web page is good for
>> people having time to go there.
>>
>> Stef
>
> In the next complete image I put a HistoryMorph what tell all.
>
> If you don't have time for reading web page, what about endless hours
> dedicated to 3.10 ?

I spent much more time than you can even image on 3.9 still
I published regularly CLEAR MESSAGES on what was going on with the
alpha version. But again
do not do it.

> I could use to get some money for travel to ESUG or for buy the new
> cool
> iMac 24"

So what! Do not do it.
Try to understand that we are all distributed and really busy and
communication is important.

and yes you pissed me off.

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
This is not about doing new code. When we tried to finalize 3.9 we
could not convert all the packages to use := instead of _ but this is
still a task to do.

and this would be good to do that so that the image is regular. This
was the purpose of the fixUnderscore packages and normally
there is a log either in this one or in the scriptLoader indicating
the packages that we tried and succeeded or failed.

Stef

El 4/19/07 4:20 PM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> So what! Do not do it.
> Try to understand that we are all distributed and really busy and
> communication is important.
>
> and yes you pissed me off.
>
> Stef

Sorry for you.
Others like my style :=)

Edgar

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Bert Freudenberg
On Apr 19, 2007, at 21:20 , stephane ducasse wrote:

> Ok if you do not want to understand don't!
>
>>> Ok but please do the same as what we did with marcus.
>>> Send a small text explaining what is new in each new number
>>> It does not work to go to the web page. The web page is good for
>>> people having time to go there.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> In the next complete image I put a HistoryMorph what tell all.
>>
>> If you don't have time for reading web page, what about endless hours
>> dedicated to 3.10 ?
>
> I spent much more time than you can even image on 3.9 still
> I published regularly CLEAR MESSAGES on what was going on with the
> alpha version. But again
> do not do it.
>

>> I could use to get some money for travel to ESUG or for buy the
>> new cool
>> iMac 24"
>
> So what! Do not do it.
> Try to understand that we are all distributed and really busy and
> communication is important.
>
> and yes you pissed me off.

Stef, this tone is inappropriate. Edgar is not even the Release Team
Leader.

And Edgar, we appreciate your hard work.

- Bert -

El 4/19/07 5:20 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Stef, this tone is inappropriate. Edgar is not even the Release Team
> Leader.
>
> And Edgar, we appreciate your hard work.
>
> - Bert -
Thanks.

I do my best and try to improve.

Also I try listen to all, newbie's and masters, helping when I have some to
help.

Steph should know what I said in several list, what I have the deep respect
and thanks his work and Markus on 3.9.

Edgar

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Brad Fuller-3
Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> And Edgar, we appreciate your hard work.

+1 and I sure enjoy Edgar's sense of humor.

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 06:30:58PM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/19/07 5:20 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> escribi?:
>
> > And Edgar, we appreciate your hard work.
> >
> > - Bert -
> Thanks.
>
> I do my best and try to improve.
>
> Also I try listen to all, newbie's and masters, helping when I have some to
> help.

Edgar,

You are a class act (*). Thank you!

Dave

(*) idiomatic expression meaning "one of distinctive and superior quality".

El 4/19/07 10:24 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar,
>
> You are a class act (*). Thank you!
>
> Dave
>
> (*) idiomatic expression meaning "one of distinctive and superior quality".

Dave , I really appreciate your exaggeration.

Very Thanks

Edgar

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

stephane ducasse
Sorry but I tried several times to ask that we get an email with the
changes. No more.
It does not sound like a crazy task to do. Just copy in an email the
log of the releaseBuilder (I hope that
there is such a log somewhere).
Edgar do you have a log describing what each releaseBuilder version
is doing?

And I'm sorry but I do not understand who is in the release team and
this is not my fault
if ralph does not communicate (a bit strange for social engineering).

Now 3.10 is sufficiently important that we can get clear announces of
what is going on.
Or this means that we all do not care at all. Not me.

Stef

PS: And as I'm somebody not only complaining but doing things I
helped ralph getting the knowledge
of what and how we did in 3.9 and also I proposed him to pair with
him but he declined because he did not
want to be influenced by our way of thinking. Ok perfect. But we can
be aware of what is happening.
And BTW he realized that we had a process and that it was quite close
to what he planned to do. So
I think that in the future for 3.11 or so should respect a simple
list of duties.

On 19 avr. 07, at 22:20, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Stef, this tone is inappropriate. Edgar is not even the Release
> Team Leader.

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Beta Image] Version 114

Ralph Johnson
> PS: And as I'm somebody not only complaining but doing things I
> helped ralph getting the knowledge
> of what and how we did in 3.9 and also I proposed him to pair with
> him but he declined because he did not
> want to be influenced by our way of thinking.

I did not decline.  I just never said "yes" because I couldn't find a
time.  I was quite interested in it and am not at all afraid of being
influenced by your way of thinking.

> And BTW he realized that we had a process and that it was quite close
> to what he planned to do.

Yes, the more I asked questions, the more I realized that you had
already tried most of the things I wanted to do.

> I think that in the future for 3.11 or so should respect a simple
> list of duties.

I don't understand this.

There is a list of Mantis issues that are ready to be harvested.  I
put a lot of the issues on the list, but other people are also putting
issues on it.  More people should do so.  We should be debating
whether individual issues are ready or not, but that is not really
happening.  After issues have been on the list for awhile, Edgar is
converting them into MC packages and adding them to the update stream.
 Edgar makes sure that any changes pass the existing tests.

You are right that we ought to indicate better what is in the updates.
 I plan to write comments for the old ones, but haven't done it yet.

Shouldn't this discussion be on the 3dot10 list?

-Ralph

12