[ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Damien Cassou-3
Squeak-dev image is an image made for squeak developers.

Changes in this version:
------------------------

- Refactorings:
    - rename classes
    - use oo way of thinking
    - Small error handling
    - Display a list of installed packages
- Documentation is displayed in the ScriptManager
    - List of installed packages
    - DynamicProtocols documentation
    - eCompletion documentation
    - AutomaticMethodCathegorizer
- Some packages have been updated

Future work:
------------

- Work on a system to ease installation of non installed-by-default
packages (only the ones in the wiki)

Please tell me what is your experience with this version. Also fill the
wiki :

http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier

For developers who owns packages in the image, please correct the bugs
in this page and publish again. Tell me when it is done so that I can
update the image.

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Damien,

downloaded squeak-dev-21.zip (there was not file with 19 in its name).
Startup and behavior great!

Then right-clicked into Script Manager's text pane and got

  MenuMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #labelString
  ScriptManager>>codePaneMenu:shifted:
  PluggableShoutMorph(ScrollPane)>>getMenu:
  PluggableShoutMorph(PluggableTextMorph)>>yellowButtonActivity:

Not sure if this was already reported.

/Klaus

Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
> Hi Damien,

Hi Klaus,

> downloaded squeak-dev-21.zip (there was not file with 19 in its name).

My mistake. The version is named 21 and not 19. Sorry

> Startup and behavior great!
>
> Then right-clicked into Script Manager's text pane and got
>
>  MenuMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #labelString
>  ScriptManager>>codePaneMenu:shifted:
>  PluggableShoutMorph(ScrollPane)>>getMenu:
>  PluggableShoutMorph(PluggableTextMorph)>>yellowButtonActivity:
>
> Not sure if this was already reported.

Torsten, can you have a look at ScriptManager please ? It seems there is
a problem (I can reproduce it).

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Torsten Bergmann

Fixed in http://www.squeaksource.com/DeveloperWorkspace/ScriptManager-tbn.3.mcz

Have fun
Torsten

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:09:11 +0200
Von: Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

> Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
> > Hi Damien,
>
> Hi Klaus,
>

> > downloaded squeak-dev-21.zip (there was not file with 19 in its name).
>

> My mistake. The version is named 21 and not 19. Sorry
>

> > Startup and behavior great!
> >
> > Then right-clicked into Script Manager's text pane and got
> >
> >  MenuMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #labelString
> >  ScriptManager>>codePaneMenu:shifted:
> >  PluggableShoutMorph(ScrollPane)>>getMenu:
> >  PluggableShoutMorph(PluggableTextMorph)>>yellowButtonActivity:
> >
> > Not sure if this was already reported.
>
> Torsten, can you have a look at ScriptManager please ? It seems there is
> a problem (I can reproduce it).
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,
Thanks for this work.
It is a joy to be able to download an image with all these great tools
pre-installed and working together. I've updated the wiki with the required
Shout versions (only one was incorrect).
Cheers,
Andy

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Masashi UMEZAWA-2

Kazuki's 'DebugReport' is really useful for sending a debug log to others.
http://map.squeak.org/package/5466154b-00ee-44fe-828f-69eb377b1e05

Please consider containing it.

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Andrew Tween a écrit :
> Hi Damien,

Hi Andrew,

> Thanks for this work.

do you use this image ?

> It is a joy to be able to download an image with all these great tools
> pre-installed and working together. I've updated the wiki with the required
> Shout versions (only one was incorrect).

I changed the repositories to:

squeakDevImageConfiguration
   ^ self createConfiguration
     addSqueakMapPackage: 'AST';
     addSqueakMapPackage: 'Refactoring Engine';
     addSqueakMapPackage: 'RoelTyper';
     addSqueakSourcePackage: 'Shout.3.15' directory: 'shout';
     addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutWorkspace.1' directory: 'shout';
     addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutOmniBrowser' directory: 'shout';
     addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutMonticello.1' directory: 'shout';

but OmniBrowser is not highlighted anymore. If I load again
ShoutOmniBrowser from SqueakMap, OB is colored.

So, it seems there is a difference between shout in squeaksource and
shout in squeakmap. Can you have a look at it please ?

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,
> do you use this image ?
I've played with it for a few hours, and I plan to use it in the future.

> > It is a joy to be able to download an image with all these great tools
> > pre-installed and working together. I've updated the wiki with the required
> > Shout versions (only one was incorrect).
>
> I changed the repositories to:
>
> squeakDevImageConfiguration
>    ^ self createConfiguration
>      addSqueakMapPackage: 'AST';
>      addSqueakMapPackage: 'Refactoring Engine';
>      addSqueakMapPackage: 'RoelTyper';
>      addSqueakSourcePackage: 'Shout.3.15' directory: 'shout';
>      addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutWorkspace.1' directory: 'shout';
>      addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutOmniBrowser' directory: 'shout';
>      addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutMonticello.1' directory: 'shout';
>
> but OmniBrowser is not highlighted anymore. If I load again
> ShoutOmniBrowser from SqueakMap, OB is colored.

I think it is picking up the wrong version when only part of the package name is
specified.

Is it ok to be more specific about which mcz file to install? What I mean is,
that this loads the correct versions of the packages...

   addSqueakSourcePackage: 'Shout.3.15-tween.65' directory: 'shout';
   addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutWorkspace.1-tween.1' directory: 'shout';
   addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutOmniBrowser-tween.3' directory: 'shout';
   addSqueakSourcePackage: 'ShoutMonticello.1-tween.1' directory: 'shout';

Is the idea to always install the most recent version of a package from a
particular repository. Or to install the most recent published version? Or to
install a specific version?

The package naming of older shout versions is pretty screwed up. I went through
a number of naming convention experiments when I was learning how monticello
worked. For example, 'ShoutOmniBrowser.4' is older than
'ShoutOmniBrowser-tween.3'.
If necessary, I will delete the older versions of the packages which are causing
the problems.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Tween a écrit :
> Hi Damien,
>> do you use this image ?
> I've played with it for a few hours, and I plan to use it in the future.

Cool, feel free to give me feedback

> I think it is picking up the wrong version when only part of the package name is
> specified.
>
> Is it ok to be more specific about which mcz file to install? What I mean is,
> that this loads the correct versions of the packages...

Sure, I will add the possibility to specify a version if necessary.
However, it may be better to create a new branch (Shout3.16 for
example). Like this, it is always possible for people and scripts to get
the last version. Just tell me what you decide and I will change the
script according to that.

> Is the idea to always install the most recent version of a package from a
> particular repository. Or to install the most recent published version? Or to
> install a specific version?

My idea is to have a script which allows me to often construct new
images with all packages updated automatically. So, I would prefer to
avoid fixed version when possible. If this is not possible in your case,
it's fine with me and I will add the possibility to specify versions.

> If necessary, I will delete the older versions of the packages which are causing
> the problems.

I don't think this is necessary.

Thank you for your help and your package Shout which I really love :-)

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Edgar J. De Cleene
Masashi UMEZAWA puso en su mail :

> Hi,
>
> Kazuki's 'DebugReport' is really useful for sending a debug log to others.
> http://map.squeak.org/package/5466154b-00ee-44fe-828f-69eb377b1e05
>
> Please consider containing it.

+1 Kazuki's 'DebugReport'is a must !!

Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Edgar J. De Cleene
Damien:

As you seems have experience integrating several packages in one image I
wish know

What is best keymapping  ?

KeyBinder or KeyMapper

Could have both ?

What is best integrated with eCompletion ?

Very thanks

Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> Damien:
>
> As you seems have experience integrating several packages in one image I
> wish know
>
> What is best keymapping  ?
>
> KeyBinder or KeyMapper
>
> Could have both ?
>
> What is best integrated with eCompletion ?

Hi Edgar,

I would really like to know the answer of this questions. It seems that
both of them override the key management and thus, they are
incompatible. This is why I deactivate them.

It seems there is no problem with eCompletion.

If somebody have more information, please tell us.

Bye

--
Damien Cassou

Re: [ANN][Squeak-dev Image] Version 19

Andrew Tween
Hi Damien,
> Sure, I will add the possibility to specify a version if necessary.
> However, it may be better to create a new branch (Shout3.16 for
> example). Like this, it is always possible for people and scripts to get
> the last version. Just tell me what you decide and I will change the
> script according to that.

Thanks.
The loading of specific Shout versions seems to work fine in Version 24.
I need to have a think about what is the best way of organising things; I'll let
you know when I have thought it through.

Cheers,
Andy