[ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available

stéphane ducasse-2
Please check that I did not mess up.
:)

More to come of course

Name: Kernel-pmm.130
Author: pmm
Time: 6 July 2006, 8:59:24 pm
UUID: ca825d54-f890-4bcb-be38-4a718f29459b
Ancestors: Kernel-al.129

- fix browsing with alt+b for globals like Smalltalk
- push #isTrait to Object like #isBehavior

Name: Kernel-al.129
Author: al
Time: 3 July 2006, 3:58:12 pm
UUID: ea1c48cf-2455-4fa5-ad13-75616626321b
Ancestors: Kernel-sd.128

- small fix of the ClassBuilder (when redefining a class, its class
side traits were lost)

Name: Collections-lr.64
Author: lr
Time: 7 July 2006, 11:33:53 am
UUID: b45346c1-0d9b-11db-a7b8-000a9573eae2
Ancestors: Collections-sd.63

- revert string comparison to the 3.7 behavior

Name: CollectionsTests-lr.28
Author: lr
Time: 7 July 2006, 11:34:31 am
UUID: cac623bf-0d9b-11db-a7b8-000a9573eae2
Ancestors: CollectionsTests-sd.27

- revert string comparison to the 3.7 behavior

Name: OB-Standard-al.112
Author: al
Time: 7 July 2006, 11:14:56 am
UUID: fd3a8638-1e50-45b5-ad4a-f5224054a331
Ancestors: OB-Standard-pmm.111

- manually merged in Alex' enhancement:

Enhancement: When you find a class by pressing Alt-f for example, you
may have a very long list. Even if you type the exact name of the
class. This changeset place as the first choice the class you entered.

For instance, try to search for Object. You have a very long list,
this change makes Object the first entry of the menu

Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available

Philippe Marschall
> - manually merged in Alex' enhancement:
>
> Enhancement: When you find a class by pressing Alt-f for example, you
> may have a very long list. Even if you type the exact name of the
> class. This changeset place as the first choice the class you entered.
>
> For instance, try to search for Object. You have a very long list,
> this change makes Object the first entry of the menu

This is case sensitive. Is this really wanted? For example if I want
to get fast to Object and in my laziness I just type 'object' instead
of 'Object' I get AbstractObjectsAsMethod at the top.

The rest of the (omni) browser related stuff seems to work. Search for
'commentd'  you get to TCommentDescription, hitting on '?' gives no
exception. Methods are where they should be.

Philippe

Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available

Alexandre Bergel-2
> The rest of the (omni) browser related stuff seems to work. Search for
> 'commentd'  you get to TCommentDescription, hitting on '?' gives no
> exception. Methods are where they should be.

I did these fixes because it does not work with 7035.
A fix has been included in 7036 or 7037 by 'pmm'.

Alexandre

NB: Having full name instead of initials would be something positive
I guess... I do not know who is pmm...
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Alexandre.Bergel

2006/7/8, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:
> > The rest of the (omni) browser related stuff seems to work. Search for
> > 'commentd'  you get to TCommentDescription, hitting on '?' gives no
> > exception. Methods are where they should be.
>
> I did these fixes because it does not work with 7035.
> A fix has been included in 7036 or 7037 by 'pmm'.

Sure, no problem. It's not easy to get the right trait if you're not
familiar with them. I had to ask Adrian to get the right one. The
method somehow got lost by a (now fixed) monticello trait bug.

> NB: Having full name instead of initials would be something positive
> I guess... I do not know who is pmm...

Well that's me. So should I change the initials to 'me'? ;) *jk*

I agree with you, it would be desirable to know who wrote the code and
how to contact him (see also the relicensing thread). Initials don't
really scale in this matter as noted on an earlier thread. But having
the fullname of the author in the version name, especially with
blanks, I'd don't know, I just somehow don't like it.

Philippe

Initials vs. full names (was Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available)

Bert Freudenberg-3

Am 08.07.2006 um 18:03 schrieb Philippe Marschall:

> 2006/7/8, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:
>> NB: Having full name instead of initials would be something positive
>> I guess... I do not know who is pmm...
>
> Well that's me. So should I change the initials to 'me'? ;) *jk*
>
> I agree with you, it would be desirable to know who wrote the code and
> how to contact him (see also the relicensing thread). Initials don't
> really scale in this matter as noted on an earlier thread. But having
> the fullname of the author in the version name, especially with
> blanks, I'd don't know, I just somehow don't like it.

I also prefer initials. But we should make it a policy that you have
to register your initials with SqueakMap before any code is accepted
into an official package. Then it becomes very simple to lookup a
name, or even display it right there in the dev tools.

Something like this will also be necessary to officially track
contributors. The board is discussing that (and tracking historic
contributions) with an open-source lawyer right now.

- Bert -

Re: Initials vs. full names (was Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available)

Yann Monclair-2
Or a login system like VisualWorks StORE has ? You can check the
login (id) of the contributor, and the person did sign up to get the
login . It's easier to find the contributors that way I think.

Yann

On Jul 8, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 08.07.2006 um 18:03 schrieb Philippe Marschall:
>
>> 2006/7/8, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>:
>>> NB: Having full name instead of initials would be something positive
>>> I guess... I do not know who is pmm...
>>
>> Well that's me. So should I change the initials to 'me'? ;) *jk*
>>
>> I agree with you, it would be desirable to know who wrote the code
>> and
>> how to contact him (see also the relicensing thread). Initials don't
>> really scale in this matter as noted on an earlier thread. But having
>> the fullname of the author in the version name, especially with
>> blanks, I'd don't know, I just somehow don't like it.
>
> I also prefer initials. But we should make it a policy that you
> have to register your initials with SqueakMap before any code is
> accepted into an official package. Then it becomes very simple to
> lookup a name, or even display it right there in the dev tools.
>
> Something like this will also be necessary to officially track
> contributors. The board is discussing that (and tracking historic
> contributions) with an open-source lawyer right now.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Initials vs. full names (was Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available)

Alexandre Bergel-2
> I also prefer initials. But we should make it a policy that you
> have to register your initials with SqueakMap before any code is
> accepted into an official package. Then it becomes very simple to
> lookup a name, or even display it right there in the dev tools.
>
> Something like this will also be necessary to officially track
> contributors. The board is discussing that (and tracking historic
> contributions) with an open-source lawyer right now.

I am not convinced. I cannot lookup initials in my mailbox or on google.

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Alexandre.Bergel

Re: Initials vs. full names (was Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available)

Alexandre Bergel-2
Asking for the initials at each image startup is not something I
particularly like.
Initial could be store in the preference or in an external file. Or
even better, ask the OS for it. MacOSX has the info...

Alexandre

Am 08.07.2006 um 20:21 schrieb Alexandre Bergel:

>> I also prefer initials. But we should make it a policy that you
>> have to register your initials with SqueakMap before any code is
>> accepted into an official package. Then it becomes very simple to
>> lookup a name, or even display it right there in the dev tools.
>
> I am not convinced. I cannot lookup initials in my mailbox

So what? You cannot lookup them in your local phonebook either ;-)

> or on google.

Why not?

        http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/accountsbyinitials

- Bert -

Re: Initials vs. full names (was Re: [ANN] Squeak3.9b-7037 available)

Bert Freudenberg-3
Initials are *not* asked for on each start. But I agree that we
should store them externally. The prefs folder is underutilized right
now. Should be a tiny hook into ExternalSettings.

- Bert -