[ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

[ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

Since the weekend is over I've decided to release what I got so far and
consequently I'm happy to announce the availability of a new interface
to the platform SSL/TLS facilities for Squeak. SqueakSSL is a
plugin-based approach which utilizes the platform implementation;
currently the SCHANNEL SSPI on Windows and OpenSSL on Unix.

To use SqueakSSL you need the following pieces:
1) The plugin for your platform. For Windows, you can download the
plugin from

        http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL.zip

For Unix you'll have to compile your own; I'm attaching the relevant
part of the platforms tree. Mac support is currently not provided but
the OpenSSL based version can probably be adapted for Macs.

2) The SqueakSSL source code and tests. All of this can be found at

        http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL.html

You need SqueakSSL-Core for the code and SqueakSSL-Tests for the unit
tests (SqueakSSL-Plugin is the plugin source which you don't need and
which we'll probably push into VMMaker).

Once you've downloaded and installed everything correctly, you should be
able to try SqueakSSL via the google example, which makes a query to
encrypted.google.com:

        SqueakSSL google: 'Squeak'.

If the query fails your plugin is probably not installed correctly (it
seems unlikely that Google's cert has an issue :-)

3) For further tests (incl. the unit tests) you will need to provide a
server certificate that can be used by SqueakSSL. On Unix you can do
that using the openssl command line tools and once you've generated your
cert, you can tell SqueakSSLTest to use the cert. On Windows the process
is a bit more involved - you need to have a valid cert AND have it
installed in the local certificate store (a description can be found at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816794 but make sure you install it in
your *user* account not the computer account). Once you have the cert
installed, you can run the unit tests which should now succeed.

Obviously, this is an early release and there's plenty of work that
remains to be done, so help is welcome. However, it is starting to
become useful and consequently I'm intending to update WebServer and
WebClient soon for HTTPS support.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

SqueakSSL-Unix.zip (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

garduino
Very important and useful work!

Thanks.

2010/7/19 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Folks -
>
> Since the weekend is over I've decided to release what I got so far and
> consequently I'm happy to announce the availability of a new interface to
> the platform SSL/TLS facilities for Squeak. SqueakSSL is a plugin-based
> approach which utilizes the platform implementation; currently the SCHANNEL
> SSPI on Windows and OpenSSL on Unix.
>
> To use SqueakSSL you need the following pieces:
> 1) The plugin for your platform. For Windows, you can download the plugin
> from
>
>        http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL.zip
>
> For Unix you'll have to compile your own; I'm attaching the relevant part of
> the platforms tree. Mac support is currently not provided but the OpenSSL
> based version can probably be adapted for Macs.
>
> 2) The SqueakSSL source code and tests. All of this can be found at
>
>        http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL.html
>
> You need SqueakSSL-Core for the code and SqueakSSL-Tests for the unit tests
> (SqueakSSL-Plugin is the plugin source which you don't need and which we'll
> probably push into VMMaker).
>
> Once you've downloaded and installed everything correctly, you should be
> able to try SqueakSSL via the google example, which makes a query to
> encrypted.google.com:
>
>        SqueakSSL google: 'Squeak'.
>
> If the query fails your plugin is probably not installed correctly (it seems
> unlikely that Google's cert has an issue :-)
>
> 3) For further tests (incl. the unit tests) you will need to provide a
> server certificate that can be used by SqueakSSL. On Unix you can do that
> using the openssl command line tools and once you've generated your cert,
> you can tell SqueakSSLTest to use the cert. On Windows the process is a bit
> more involved - you need to have a valid cert AND have it installed in the
> local certificate store (a description can be found at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816794 but make sure you install it in your
> *user* account not the computer account). Once you have the cert installed,
> you can run the unit tests which should now succeed.
>
> Obviously, this is an early release and there's plenty of work that remains
> to be done, so help is welcome. However, it is starting to become useful and
> consequently I'm intending to update WebServer and WebClient soon for HTTPS
> support.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Patrick Shouse
Teleplacer wrote
[...]

If you get this error message: "This application has failed to start because MSVCR100.dll was not found", you'll need to install the MS Visual C++ redistributable package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

On 7/19/2010 8:39 AM, Patrick Shouse wrote:
> If you get this error message: "This application has failed to start because
> MSVCR100.dll was not found", you'll need to install the MS Visual C++
> redistributable package:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84

Oops. I accidentally linked against the runtime DLL instead of
statically. I've uploaded a new version which should address this issue.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

garduino
Hi:

Only now I've the time (and need) of try SSL.

Can you comment briefly how to compile the SSL plugin on Linux, to work with Cog
(I'm using the cog binary downloaded from
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2219/) ?

On 9/17/2010 5:24 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Only now I've the time (and need) of try SSL.
>
> Can you comment briefly how to compile the SSL plugin on Linux, to work with Cog
> (I'm using the cog binary downloaded from
> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2219/) ?

There should be no need to recompile it, the version available from
http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL-bin.zip should work out of
the box. Or are you seeing any problems? For recompilation, you'd have
to add the openssl libraries to the link (i.a., add -lopenssl) but
that's pretty much all there is to it. Also, check out the post at
http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/using-squeakssl-with-seaside/
which provides some setup instructions for Ubuntu.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> 2010/7/19 Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>:
>> Folks -
>>
>> Since the weekend is over I've decided to release what I got so far and
>> For Unix you'll have to compile your own; I'm attaching the relevant part of
>> the platforms tree. Mac support is currently not provided but the OpenSSL
>> based version can probably be adapted for Macs.

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

garduino
Yes, sorry the buzz, I was not aware than on the zip of above (related
to windows) also cames the .so for Linux.

It works ok with Squeak 4,1 normal VM, not tried yet with Cog.

Thanks.

About problem I'm trying now

2010/9/17 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> On 9/17/2010 5:24 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Only now I've the time (and need) of try SSL.
>>
>> Can you comment briefly how to compile the SSL plugin on Linux, to work
>> with Cog
>> (I'm using the cog binary downloaded from
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2219/) ?
>
> There should be no need to recompile it, the version available from
> http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL-bin.zip should work out of the
> box. Or are you seeing any problems? For recompilation, you'd have to add
> the openssl libraries to the link (i.a., add -lopenssl) but that's pretty
> much all there is to it. Also, check out the post at
> http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/using-squeakssl-with-seaside/
> which provides some setup instructions for Ubuntu.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
>> 2010/7/19 Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> Since the weekend is over I've decided to release what I got so far and
>>> For Unix you'll have to compile your own; I'm attaching the relevant part
>>> of
>>> the platforms tree. Mac support is currently not provided but the OpenSSL
>>> based version can probably be adapted for Macs.

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

LawsonEnglish
  The Mac OS X version isn't in there yet, right?

Lawson

On 9/17/2010 5:13 PM, Lawson English wrote:
> The Mac OS X version isn't in there yet, right?

It is, but the support is incomplete. I haven't made my way through the
Apple Certificate APIs which means that you cannot:
* Verify a server certificate (it will always fail)
* Specify the certificate for a server (i.e., no Seaside support)
Depending on what you're trying to do this may still be sufficient. If
all you need is https access for encryption and don't care about the
certificate validation it will work fine. If you need more then you're
out of luck for now.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

  On 9/17/10 5:26 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/17/2010 5:13 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>> The Mac OS X version isn't in there yet, right?
>
> It is, but the support is incomplete. I haven't made my way through
> the Apple Certificate APIs which means that you cannot:
> * Verify a server certificate (it will always fail)
> * Specify the certificate for a server (i.e., no Seaside support)
> Depending on what you're trying to do this may still be sufficient. If
> all you need is https access for encryption and don't care about the
> certificate validation it will work fine. If you need more then you're
> out of luck for now.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

That's certainly enough to start with, thanks.

Lawson

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

LawsonEnglish
  I'm probably doing this completely wrong, but this fails:

(WebClient httpGet: 'https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi')

Error: primitiveSSLCreateFailed/

I've got the latest SqueakSSL package and plugin installed, and the
latest webclient on Squeak 4.1 VM.

The URL doesn't return a valid certificate anyway, its just an xml-rpc
portal for getting a login URL via an encrypted connection.

Lawson

On 9/17/10 5:26 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/17/2010 5:13 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>> The Mac OS X version isn't in there yet, right?
>
> It is, but the support is incomplete. I haven't made my way through
> the Apple Certificate APIs which means that you cannot:
> * Verify a server certificate (it will always fail)
> * Specify the certificate for a server (i.e., no Seaside support)
> Depending on what you're trying to do this may still be sufficient. If
> all you need is https access for encryption and don't care about the
> certificate validation it will work fine. If you need more then you're
> out of luck for now.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

>> Lawson
>>
>> On 9/17/10 2:55 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>> Yes, sorry the buzz, I was not aware than on the zip of above (related
>>> to windows) also cames the .so for Linux.
>>>
>>> It works ok with Squeak 4,1 normal VM, not tried yet with Cog.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> About problem I'm trying now

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Andreas.Raab
Hi -

Most likely this means that plugin isn't installed correctly. Make sure
the bundle is in the right place (i.e., Contents/Resources) and that the
actual executable (SqueakSSL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SqueakSSL) has
executable permissions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 10/3/2010 8:08 PM, Lawson English wrote:

> I'm probably doing this completely wrong, but this fails:
>
> (WebClient httpGet: 'https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi')
>
> Error: primitiveSSLCreateFailed/
>

> I've got the latest SqueakSSL package and plugin installed, and the
> latest webclient on Squeak 4.1 VM.
>
> The URL doesn't return a valid certificate anyway, its just an xml-rpc
> portal for getting a login URL via an encrypted connection.
>

> Lawson
>
> On 9/17/10 5:26 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> On 9/17/2010 5:13 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>>> The Mac OS X version isn't in there yet, right?
>>
>> It is, but the support is incomplete. I haven't made my way through
>> the Apple Certificate APIs which means that you cannot:
>> * Verify a server certificate (it will always fail)
>> * Specify the certificate for a server (i.e., no Seaside support)
>> Depending on what you're trying to do this may still be sufficient. If
>> all you need is https access for encryption and don't care about the
>> certificate validation it will work fine. If you need more then you're
>> out of luck for now.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas
>>

>>> Lawson

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

LawsonEnglish
  The bundle is in the right place and all the permissions seem to be
correct. There IS a difference between this and other plugins though:

the bundle has permissions drwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   drwxr-xr-x  4  for other
bundles.
the executable has permissions -rwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   -rwxr-xr-x  4

could the '@' have anything to do with it?

Otherwise, I seem to be stuck.

Thanks,

Lawson

On 10/4/10 10:59 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Most likely this means that plugin isn't installed correctly. Make
> sure the bundle is in the right place (i.e., Contents/Resources) and
> that the actual executable (SqueakSSL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SqueakSSL)
> has executable permissions.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>
> On 10/3/2010 8:08 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>> I'm probably doing this completely wrong, but this fails:
>>
>> (WebClient httpGet:
>> 'https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi')
>>
>> Error: primitiveSSLCreateFailed/
>>

>> I've got the latest SqueakSSL package and plugin installed, and the
>> latest webclient on Squeak 4.1 VM.
>>
>> The URL doesn't return a valid certificate anyway, its just an xml-rpc
>> portal for getting a login URL via an encrypted connection.
>>

>> Lawson

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Tom Rushworth-3
The '@' means there is an extended attribute set on the file.  Use "ls -l@ed" to see what it is.  If it is the "quarantine" bit, it won't execute unless you answer a popup dialog saying it is OK to do so.  You can use the "xattr" command to remove it.  There is no man page for xattr, but "xattr -?" gives an almost usable usage message :).

--
Tom Rushworth

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

LawsonEnglish
  There WAS a quarantine bit, but I removed it by doing xattr -rd
"com.apple.quarantine" SqueakSSL.bundle/  which removed the flag all the
way down but I still get the same error. :-/

On 10/4/10 6:12 PM, Tom Rushworth wrote:

> The '@' means there is an extended attribute set on the file.  Use "ls -l@ed" to see what it is.  If it is the "quarantine" bit, it won't execute unless you answer a popup dialog saying it is OK to do so.  You can use the "xattr" command to remove it.  There is no man page for xattr, but "xattr -?" gives an almost usable usage message :).
>
> On 2010-Oct-4, at 13:41, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> The bundle is in the right place and all the permissions seem to be correct. There IS a difference between this and other plugins though:
>>
>> the bundle has permissions drwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   drwxr-xr-x  4  for other bundles.
>> the executable has permissions -rwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   -rwxr-xr-x  4
>>
>> could the '@' have anything to do with it?
>>
>> Otherwise, I seem to be stuck.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lawson
>>
>> On 10/4/10 10:59 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Hi -
>>>
>>> Most likely this means that plugin isn't installed correctly. Make sure the bundle is in the right place (i.e., Contents/Resources) and that the actual executable (SqueakSSL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SqueakSSL) has executable permissions.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   - Andreas

Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Tom Rushworth-3
Well, that leaves one or more of:
1) the bundle path (which you say is good, but it might be worth double checking),
2) the actual file executable content,
3) missing libraries, or
4) corrupted download of the plugin.

For (2), try using the "file" command on the actual executable file of the SSL plugin and on the executable of a known good plugin - this will look at the first few bytes of the file to see what type the loader is going to think it is.  You'd expect them to be the same type :).

For (3), there's a tool to get a list of libraries used by the executable.  Use "otool -L" for 10.5, and possibly "dyldinfo" for 10.6.  I haven't used them recently, so my memory is pretty vague, but the idea is to get a list of required libs, then go around looking to see that you have them.
Sometimes it can be as simple as a missing symbolic link for a a general name (e.g. "libfoo" -> "libfoo.1.2.3").

For (4), I guess you download a second time and compare the resulting bundles.  You might have to cobble something together with "find" and "cmp".

If none of the above work, I'm out of ideas :).

--
Tom Rushworth

Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

LawsonEnglish
  The renamed title says it all. I'm wondering if any other Mac OS X
Snow Leopard users have tried to get the SqueakSSL plugin working at all...

Its such a straight-forward, show-stopping issue that I gotta think that
I'm either doing something entirely stupid, or no-one else has tried
this particular configuration before.

Lawson

On 10/4/10 7:56 PM, Lawson English wrote:

>  There WAS a quarantine bit, but I removed it by doing xattr -rd
> "com.apple.quarantine" SqueakSSL.bundle/  which removed the flag all
> the way down but I still get the same error. :-/
>

> On 10/4/10 6:12 PM, Tom Rushworth wrote:
>> The '@' means there is an extended attribute set on the file.  Use
>> "ls -l@ed" to see what it is.  If it is the "quarantine" bit, it
>> won't execute unless you answer a popup dialog saying it is OK to do
>> so.  You can use the "xattr" command to remove it.  There is no man
>> page for xattr, but "xattr -?" gives an almost usable usage message :).
>>
>> On 2010-Oct-4, at 13:41, Lawson English wrote:
>>
>>> The bundle is in the right place and all the permissions seem to be
>>> correct. There IS a difference between this and other plugins though:
>>>
>>> the bundle has permissions drwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   drwxr-xr-x  4  for
>>> other bundles.
>>> the executable has permissions -rwxr-xr-x@ 4   vs   -rwxr-xr-x  4
>>>
>>> could the '@' have anything to do with it?
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I seem to be stuck.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Lawson

bpi

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

bpi
Hi Lawson,

I think it works on my Mac. What makes me believe so?

I inspect the following:
WebClient httpGet: 'https://www.google.com/search?q=squeak'

I get the following notifier twice:
Error: No certificate was provided(code: -1)

I expected that because of http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153740.html. Why it fails twice, I don't know.

I Proceed twice and then I get an Inspector on a WebResponse with HTTP/1.1 200 OK. The content looks as if it might be correct.

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.4 on an Mac Pro (Dual-Core Intel Xenon). I use the Squeak 5.8b10 VM from John.

Here you can see how I installed the bundle after unzipping SqueakSSL-bin.zip:

By the way, Andreas, thank you very much for making this and everything else!

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 05.10.2010 um 09:17 schrieb Lawson English:

[...]

  I was only using the generic 4.2 VM from Squeak.org. Betting that's
the difference because everything else looks the same.

Thanks for the tip. Installing...

Lawson