[ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

bpi

[ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

bpi
Dear Smalltalkers,

I am very happy to announce that the Styled Text Editor for the brand new Cuis 4.0 is now available on GitHub [1]. The Styled Text Editor was first presented by me at last year's ESUG in Edinburgh [2]. Thanks to ESUG the presentation was recorded [3].

The Styled Text Editor is a framework for rich text editing using styles as known from popular word processors like Apple Pages or Microsoft Word. It features paragraph and character styles, allowing easy text formatting using styles only. It is intended for applications where users need to work with good looking rich text in a simple and fast way.

Rich text commonly refers to text with formatting information like different fonts, sizes, alignments, and emphasis. To make editing as simple as possible instead of individual formatting information end users apply styles to parts of the text. Editing is made fast by keyboard shortcuts for text navigation, selection, and styles selection. Where possible the feel of widely used rich text editors is supported.

It includes many features like
- numbered and bulleted list paragraph styles
- support for images
- multiple level undo and redo
- text completion using various glossaries including a dictionary of English with about 166.000 words
- RTF clipboard (on OS X VMs with the ClipboardExtendedPlugin)

The Styled Text Editor is developed in Cuis with the plan to eventually port it to Squeak and Pharo. The development of the Styled Text Editor inspired many changes to Cuis itself, and It is the first package to use the brand new DVCS based development process for external packages for Cuis 4.0.

The idea and funding was provided by me, Bernhard Pieber and my company Software Generation. The implementation was done by Juan Vuletich, the mastermind behind Cuis. Thanks Juan for the close cooperation. It was and still is great fun to work with you.

We are looking forward to feedback from you. Fork it on GitHub [1], create issues and send us pull requests. ;-)

Cheers,
Bernhard Pieber

[1] https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor
[2] http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/Schedule-And-Talks/StyledTextEditor
[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUoVbvwspi8&list=PL813665D04A2E4C0A&index=7&feature=plpp_video

The Squeak vs Pharo hostility... (was Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk)

Göran Krampe
Hey all!

On 04/23/2012 03:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>> It doesn't really matter who started it. We all like to come over this. It can happen and the only thing making it worse is to talk about the fact that it happened.
>>
>> Yeah, I don't care either about who started it - I am just tired of it :).
>
> May be other people are tired by other aspects?
> No? I guess so.

I don't follow. What do you mean?

> We have a vision and people can help making it true or not. :)
> But our goal is to support business emerge (with our little mean) but we try hard.

I know and I am all behind it, 100%. The thing is, this "history" behind
the Squeak/Pharo divide is still lurking between the lines and I
(personally) am tired of it.

For example, I often get the feeling that my posts to this list raise
replies as if I am some kind of "outsider", just because I was heavily
involved in Squeak earlier or something.

I am a Pharoer too. I may be more of a bystander these days than a
contributor (since I don't have a lot of time to spend) - but I am only
using *Pharo* these days, not Squeak. Yup, sorry Squeak, but it is just
the reality. I *still* wish the best for Squeak though, and all other
open source or commercial efforts in the Smalltalk arena.

I think it would be nice if we all could be a little bit more positive
and inclusive, especially the people who are prominent in our
(overlapping) communities - you set the example. :)

I really don't see any gain in Pharo spewing negatives over Squeak,
Squeak is still the inheritage of Pharo and I for one am proud of the
friendliness of the Smalltalk community. Nor of course see I any gain in
spewing in the other direction, it goes both ways.

Now, I suspect this light criticism wrapped up in smileys and all, and
with all the good intentions, will still lead to negative replies. But I
hope not. Perhaps time to simply move on? ;)

regards, Göran

PS. I love all the momentum in Pharo right now, it all looks very good,
and I am itching digging into 1.4! Superb work.

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

David Graham
Beautiful work Bernhard and Juan!

I just discovered the greatest feature I never knew I was missing, word
completion for text!  This is so much better than battling with a
spellchecker until one of us figures out what I was trying to say. :)

bpi

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

bpi
Thank you David and Germán for the kind words! They are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 23.04.2012 um 18:21 schrieb David Graham:
> Beautiful work Bernhard and Juan!
>
> I just discovered the greatest feature I never knew I was missing, word completion for text!  This is so much better than battling with a spellchecker until one of us figures out what I was trying to say. :)

Re: [Pharo-project] The Squeak vs Pharo hostility... (was Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk)

Igor Stasenko
I stop reacting to these things long ago. It just a waste of time.
I don't care if people prefer A over B or C over D, as long as they
are not evangelizing me make same choice.

I never spew on Squeak or people, since i am part of community.. and
its like spewing on myself at the end...

Apart from it, lying the facts about quality of some smelly Squeak
code (and consequently Pharo as well, since it inherits from it).
There is no need to divide on camps. Bad code is bad code, no matter
if it is in Squeak or Pharo.
As i told before, i prefer to call 'crap' what is crap. And it is
completely neutral towards fork(s), and based only on quality of code
in question and my bias towards better solutions :)
And i expect that pointing out to this should not provoke negative
emotions, but an efforts to fix it (or discussion how to fix it).

And i DO respect an effort of people who implemented things we using..
Even if implementation not perfect.
But hey, we are here to fix it! And pointing out to flaw is a first step.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/21/12, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 21.04.2012 um 22:22 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>> Yeah VM works on iOS.
> Cool!
>
>> My use case is private, nothing fancy. I just value having decent
>> TextEditor and friends.
>>
>> For an OO thing like  Smalltalk Pharo, it would be a shame to now have a
>> top notch UI kit for editing text.
> I totally agree. That's one reason why I started the Styled Text Editor
> project. ;-)

Great effort!
Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?

In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?

--Hannes

> [...]
>>>

>>> --
>>> Philippe Back
>>> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>>>
>>> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail:
>>> [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
>>> http://philippeback.be
>>>
>>> High Octane SPRL
>>> rue cour Boisacq 101
>>> 1301 Bierges
>>>

>> --
>> Philippe Back
>> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>>
>> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email]
>> | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
>> http://philippeback.be
>>
>> High Octane SPRL
>> rue cour Boisacq 101
>> 1301 Bierges

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Quoting "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:

> On 4/21/12, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 21.04.2012 um 22:22 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:
>>> Yeah VM works on iOS.
>> Cool!
>>
>>> My use case is private, nothing fancy. I just value having decent
>>> TextEditor and friends.
>>>
>>> For an OO thing like  Smalltalk Pharo, it would be a shame to now have a
>>> top notch UI kit for editing text.
>> I totally agree. That's one reason why I started the Styled Text Editor
>> project. ;-)
>
> Great effort!
> Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?

We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run it...

> In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?

Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used
for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac
VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but RTF
can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it is
better to use own format.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> --Hannes
>
>> Cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>
>>> I hope to be able to provide several decent samples so that newcomers
>>> don't have to go through the same pain as I go through now.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>>
>>> 2012/4/21 Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]>
>>> Thanks for the encouragement!
>>>
>>> The necessary funding depends on the effort of course, and this in turn
>>> depends on the approach one uses for porting. We have an idea how to do
>>> the port to Pharo as an external package. Do you have a concrete use case
>>> in mind?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bernhard
>>>
>>> P.S. Did you succeed building the Mac VM on Xcode 4.3 yet?

>>> --
>>> Philippe Back
>>> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>>>
>>> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email]
>>> http://philippeback.be
>>>
>>> High Octane SPRL
>>> rue cour Boisacq 101
>>> 1301 Bierges

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Casey Ransberger-2
Top post: Is there a market for a pure ST RTF implementation?

My first thought is "it can't be that hard to do" which is of course probably quite wrong, given that I don't know much about how RTF works:)

I'm curious about why RTF would live in a plugin, given that it's so common a format. Is that because the plugin wraps some convenient native libraries?

On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:21 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:

>>> Cool!

>>> I totally agree. That's one reason why I started the Styled Text Editor
>>> project. ;-)
>>
>> Great effort!
>> Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?
>
> We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run it...
>
>> In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?
>
> Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but RTF can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it is better to use own format.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> --Hannes
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bernhard

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Casey,

Quoting Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>:

> Top post: Is there a market for a pure ST RTF implementation?
>
> My first thought is "it can't be that hard to do" which is of course
> probably quite wrong, given that I don't know much about how RTF
> works:)
>
> I'm curious about why RTF would live in a plugin, given that it's so
> common a format. Is that because the plugin wraps some convenient
> native libraries?

No, you got me wrong! Maybe you'd check the code, but anyway... The
RTF for StyledTextEditor is pure Smalltalk. The export was done by me,
and was quite easy to do. The parser for import is based on Sophie's.

The extended clipboard plugin is used to bring RTF (and any other
supported format, like bmp/jpeg/tiff) from / to the OS clipboard.

That's why I say that supporting RTF file format is no big deal.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:21 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quoting "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:

>>> Great effort!
>>> Are there screen shots of the implementation available somewhere?
>>
>> We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run it...
>>
>>> In which format does it save the files? RTF? HTML? Something else?
>>
>> Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used
>> for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac
>> VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but
>> RTF can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it
>> is better to use own format.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>>> --Hannes

>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Casey Ransberger-2
Aha! Yes I understood quite improperly. Now I get it though.

As far as reading the actual code (you're quite right, I should have) it's just rather a challenge from a DRM phone:(

I mean to fix this, but first I need to get Celeste (or some such) working in Cuis, and then get Cuis working on my phone again!

:)

On Apr 26, 2012, at 4:12 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Casey,
>
> Quoting Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Top post: Is there a market for a pure ST RTF implementation?
>>
>> My first thought is "it can't be that hard to do" which is of course probably quite wrong, given that I don't know much about how RTF works:)
>>
>> I'm curious about why RTF would live in a plugin, given that it's so common a format. Is that because the plugin wraps some convenient native libraries?
>
> No, you got me wrong! Maybe you'd check the code, but anyway... The RTF for StyledTextEditor is pure Smalltalk. The export was done by me, and was quite easy to do. The parser for import is based on Sophie's.
>
> The extended clipboard plugin is used to bring RTF (and any other supported format, like bmp/jpeg/tiff) from / to the OS clipboard.
>
> That's why I say that supporting RTF file format is no big deal.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

>>> We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run it...

>>> Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but RTF can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it is better to use own format.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich
>>>

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Juan

On 4/27/12, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Casey,
>
> Quoting Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Top post: Is there a market for a pure ST RTF implementation?
>>
>> My first thought is "it can't be that hard to do" which is of course
>> probably quite wrong, given that I don't know much about how RTF
>> works:)
>>
>> I'm curious about why RTF would live in a plugin, given that it's so
>> common a format. Is that because the plugin wraps some convenient
>> native libraries?
>
> No, you got me wrong! Maybe you'd check the code, but anyway... The
> RTF for StyledTextEditor is pure Smalltalk. The export was done by me,
> and was quite easy to do. The parser for import is based on Sophie's.

I remember that there disucssions on the mailing list about not beeing
able to use Sophie code because it is a different license. I assume
now with the github version control system this is a different issue
as the Sophie file is separated, right?

I read here
https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/LICENSE
that the RTF import is BSD, the rest is MIT.

-- Hannes

> The extended clipboard plugin is used to bring RTF (and any other
> supported format, like bmp/jpeg/tiff) from / to the OS clipboard.
>
> That's why I say that supporting RTF file format is no big deal.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:21 PM, "Juan Vuletich (mail lists)"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> We haven´t published any. I can do it in case you´re not able to run
>>> it...

>>> Native format is SmartRefStream. The export to RTF is done and used
>>> for ExtendedClipboard (currently only supported on the 4 series Mac
>>> VM). It would be trivial to add support for saving RTF files, but
>>> RTF can not hold all the features StyledTextEditor supports, so it
>>> is better to use own format.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich
>>>

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: [Pharo-project] [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)
Hi Hannes,

Quoting "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Juan
>
> I remember that there disucssions on the mailing list about not beeing
> able to use Sophie code because it is a different license. I assume
> now with the github version control system this is a different issue
> as the Sophie file is separated, right?
>
> I read here
> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/LICENSE
> that the RTF import is BSD, the rest is MIT.
>
> -- Hannes

Exactly. What would be a problem is to include this code in the
official image of a Squeak variant.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)

Hi Bob,

Evaluating 'StyledTextInstaller new openStyledTextEditorDocumentation' works for me... Does it fail for you?

Cheers,

Juan Vuletich

Quoting Bob Arning <[hidden email]>:

[...]

It only works if I manually remove the .object suffix from

( 2012/04/22  04:43:50           13,060 )      Styled Text Editor Documentation.object

I encountered it initially while doing:

StyledTextInstaller new install

which produced this:

Halt
28 April 2012 3:24:02.533 pm

VM: Mac OS - Croquet Closure Cog MT VM [CoInterpreterMT VMMaker.oscog-eem.138] Croquet Cog 4.0.2519
Image: Cuis 4.0 [latest update: #1260]

StandardFileStream class(Object)>>halt
    Receiver: StandardFileStream
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     FileStream
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#actAsExecutor->(StandardFileStream>>#actAsExecu...etc...
        format:     146
        instanceVariables:     #('name' 'fileID' 'buffer1')
        organization:     ('open/close' close closed ensureOpen open:forWrite: openReadOnly...etc...
        subclasses:     nil
        name:     #StandardFileStream
        classPool:     a Dictionary(#Registry->a WeakRegistry(<this WeakRegistry is locked>...etc...
        sharedPools:     nil

StandardFileStream class>>fileDoesNotExistUserHandling:
    Receiver: StandardFileStream
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        fullFileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        selection:     3
        newName:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     FileStream
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#actAsExecutor->(StandardFileStream>>#actAsExecu...etc...
        format:     146
        instanceVariables:     #('name' 'fileID' 'buffer1')
        organization:     ('open/close' close closed ensureOpen open:forWrite: openReadOnly...etc...
        subclasses:     nil
        name:     #StandardFileStream
        classPool:     a Dictionary(#Registry->a WeakRegistry(<this WeakRegistry is locked>...etc...
        sharedPools:     nil

FileDoesNotExistException>>defaultAction
    Receiver: FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        messageText:     nil
        tag:     nil
        signalContext:     FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
        handlerContext:     BlockClosure>>on:do:
        outerContext:     nil
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        readOnly:     nil

UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
    Receiver: nil
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        exception:     FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents...etc...
    Receiver's instance variables:
nil
FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>pass
    Receiver: FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        messageText:     nil
        tag:     nil
        signalContext:     FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
        handlerContext:     BlockClosure>>on:do:
        outerContext:     nil
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        readOnly:     nil

[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
    Receiver: a PasteUpMorph(1622) [world]
    Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
    Receiver's instance variables:
        bounds:     0@0 corner: 1462@957
        owner:     nil
        submorphs:     #(a SystemWindow(633)('Styled Text Editor Documentation') a Taskbar(...etc...
        fullBounds:     0@0 corner: 1462@957
        color:     (Color r: 0.7 g: 0.72 b: 0.83)
        extension:     a MorphExtension (2543) [eventHandler = an EventHandler]  [other:  (...etc...
        borderWidth:     0
        borderColor:     (Color r: 0.5 g: 0.5 b: 0.5)
        worldState:     a WorldState
        backgroundImage:     Form(1462x957x32)
        backgroundImageData:     #[255 216 255 236 0 17 68 117 99 107 121 0 1 0 4 0 0 0 81 ...etc...

BlockClosure>>valueWithPossibleArgument:
    Receiver: [closure] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        anArg:     FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Mac...etc...
    Receiver's instance variables:
        outerContext:     PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
        startpc:     71
        numArgs:     1

[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
    Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
    Arguments and temporary variables:
<<error during printing>
    Receiver's instance variables:
        sender:     PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
        pc:     17
        stackp:     3
        method:     (BlockClosure>>#on:do: "a CompiledMethod(4063)")
        closureOrNil:     nil
        receiver:     [closure] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:in:

BlockClosure>>ensure:
    Receiver: [closure] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        aBlock:     [closure] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
        complete:     nil
        returnValue:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
        outerContext:     MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
        startpc:     98
        numArgs:     0

MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
    Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        exception:     FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents...etc...
        val:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
        sender:     PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
        pc:     17
        stackp:     3
        method:     (BlockClosure>>#on:do: "a CompiledMethod(4063)")
        closureOrNil:     nil
        receiver:     [closure] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:in:

MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
    Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        exception:     FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents...etc...
        val:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
        sender:     SmalltalkEditor>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:ifFail:
        pc:     17
        stackp:     3
        method:     (BlockClosure>>#on:do: "a CompiledMethod(4063)")
        closureOrNil:     nil
        receiver:     [closure] in SmalltalkEditor>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:ifFail:

FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
    Receiver: FileDoesNotExistException: '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
        messageText:     nil
        tag:     nil
        signalContext:     FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
        handlerContext:     BlockClosure>>on:do:
        outerContext:     nil
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        readOnly:     nil

StandardFileStream class>>oldFileNamed:
    Receiver: StandardFileStream
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        fullName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     FileStream
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#actAsExecutor->(StandardFileStream>>#actAsExecu...etc...
        format:     146
        instanceVariables:     #('name' 'fileID' 'buffer1')
        organization:     ('open/close' close closed ensureOpen open:forWrite: openReadOnly...etc...
        subclasses:     nil
        name:     #StandardFileStream
        classPool:     a Dictionary(#Registry->a WeakRegistry(<this WeakRegistry is locked>...etc...
        sharedPools:     nil

FileStream class>>oldFileNamed:
    Receiver: FileStream
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     ReadWriteStream
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#asBinaryOrTextStream->(FileStream>>#asBinaryOrT...etc...
        format:     140
        instanceVariables:     #('rwmode')
        organization:     ('accessing' contents contentsOfEntireFile directoryEntry mimeTyp...etc...
        subclasses:     #(StandardFileStream)
        name:     #FileStream
        classPool:     a Dictionary()
        sharedPools:     nil

StyledTextModel class>>fromFileNamed:
    Receiver: StyledTextModel
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        file:     nil
        model:     #(nil)
    Receiver's instance variables:
        superclass:     TextModel
        methodDict:     a MethodDictionary(#actualContents:->(StyledTextModel>>#actualConte...etc...
        format:     140
        instanceVariables:     #('styleSet' 'fileName')
        organization:     ('accessing' actualContents: basicActualContents: styleSet styleS...etc...
        subclasses:     nil
        name:     #StyledTextModel
        classPool:     nil
        sharedPools:     nil

StyledTextInstaller>>open:
    Receiver: a StyledTextInstaller
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        name:     'Macbeth Example'
        fileName:     '/Users/bob/squeak/Cuis4.0-1260/Documents/Macbeth Example'
        model:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
a StyledTextInstaller
StyledTextInstaller>>openMacbethExample
    Receiver: a StyledTextInstaller
    Arguments and temporary variables:
        window:     nil
    Receiver's instance variables:
a StyledTextInstaller
StyledTextInstaller>>openExamples
    Receiver: a StyledTextInstaller
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
a StyledTextInstaller
StyledTextInstaller>>install
    Receiver: a StyledTextInstaller
    Arguments and temporary variables:

    Receiver's instance variables:
a StyledTextInstaller

--- The full stack ---
StandardFileStream class(Object)>>halt
StandardFileStream class>>fileDoesNotExistUserHandling:
FileDoesNotExistException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>pass
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
BlockClosure>>valueWithPossibleArgument:
[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
FileDoesNotExistException(Exception)>>signal
StandardFileStream class>>oldFileNamed:
FileStream class>>oldFileNamed:
StyledTextModel class>>fromFileNamed:
StyledTextInstaller>>open:
StyledTextInstaller>>openMacbethExample
StyledTextInstaller>>openExamples
StyledTextInstaller>>install
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
[] in SmalltalkEditor>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:ifFail:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
SmalltalkEditor>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:ifFail:
SmalltalkEditor>>doIt
SmalltalkEditor>>doIt:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>dispatchOn:
SmalltalkEditor(TextEditor)>>processKeyStroke:
[] in InnerTextMorph>>processKeyStroke:
InnerTextMorph>>handleInteraction:
InnerTextMorph>>processKeyStroke:
[] in InnerTextMorph>>keyStroke:
SmalltalkCompleter(AutoCompleter)>>autoCompletionAround:keyStroke:
InnerTextMorph>>keyStroke:
InnerTextMorph>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
InnerTextMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
InnerTextMorph(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:in:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:in:
HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in ProjectX class>>spawnNewProcessX
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

On 4/28/12 1:30 PM, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:

[...]

espin
I tried to install StyledTextEditor as follows (and according to instructions on GitHub):
1. fresh Cuis 4.0
2. cloned StyledTextEditor from GitHub
3. unpacked scowl-7.1 in same directory as Cuis image
4. run Cuis and install StyledTextInstaller.pck
5. Do-it StyledTextInstaller new install

Step 5. fails with DNU
      CodePackage class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #named:createIfAbsent:registerIfNew:
See attached log.

Any hints
Bye
Enrico

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 20:20, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick
"He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense."—John McCarthy

CuisDebug.log (15K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Styled Text Editor for Cuis 4.0 Smalltalk

J. Vuletich (mail lists)

Hi Enrico,

Quoting Enrico Spinielli <[hidden email]>:

Hi,
I tried to install StyledTextEditor as follows (and according to instructions on GitHub):
1. fresh Cuis 4.0
2. cloned StyledTextEditor from GitHub
3. unpacked scowl-7.1 in same directory as Cuis image
4. run Cuis and install StyledTextInstaller.pck
5. Do-it StyledTextInstaller new install

Step 5. fails with DNU
      CodePackage class(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #named:createIfAbsent:registerIfNew:
See attached log.

Any hints
Bye
Enrico