[ANN] Tuio - Tangible User Interaction on Squeak

[ANN] Tuio - Tangible User Interaction on Squeak

simonxholland
Hi All

I have just uploaded the first version of Tuio for Squeak.
Tuio allows Squeak to use the reacTIVision computer vision system to track physical objects in real time. The package includes a Tuio client and demonstration application program. To make practical use of Tuio for Squeak you will need a webcam or other camera, and should download the free Reactivision application for your operating system.  To learn more, see http://mcs.open.ac.uk/sh2/squeakmusic.html).

Tuio for Squeak makes it easy to build tangible user interfaces using fiducial markers on physical objects.

Tuio for Squeak allows the rapid development of table-based tangible user interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.

Prerequisite Package -  OSC 5.1 or later.
Please let me know if you find any problems.

Simon Holland

Re: Tuio - Tangible User Interaction on Squeak

Brad Fuller-2
Simon Holland wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have just uploaded the first version of Tuio for Squeak.
> Tuio allows Squeak to use the reacTIVision computer vision system to track
> physical objects in real time. The package includes a Tuio client and
> demonstration application program. To make practical use of Tuio for Squeak
> you will need a webcam or other camera, and should download the free
> Reactivision application for your operating system.  To learn more, see
> http://mcs.open.ac.uk/sh2/squeakmusic.html).
>
> Tuio for Squeak makes it easy to build tangible user interfaces using
> fiducial markers on physical objects.
>
> Tuio for Squeak allows the rapid development of table-based tangible user
> interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.
>
> Prerequisite Package -  OSC 5.1 or later.
> Please let me know if you find any problems.

sounds cool, Simon. How come a "visual" application needs OSC?

Also, would any of your work be applicable to a typical web camera for
IM use?

Re: Tuio - Tangible User Interaction on Squeak

simonxholland
Hi Brad
People think of OSC as something just for musical applications, but in fact OSC is perhaps the general purpose swiss army knife of protocols. It is light and fast - just a light layer on top of UDP. But it is much easier to use than UDP and totally flexible on a packet-by-packet basis.

It is starting to get used for tangible, pervasive and ubiquitous computing in many cases where devices or processes have to communicate.

In this case,  the reactivision computer vision engine runs as  a separate program , normally on the same machine, emitting OSC packets which Tuio for Squeak picks up and processes.

OSC can be an option to consider for easy, reliable, cross-platform cross-language  inter-program communication where otherwise you would have to write a plugin.

As regards cameras, quoting from the main reactavision site
http://www.iua.upf.es/mtg/reactable/?software

"In general cameras with CCD sensors should perform better than those with a CMOS chip. Additionally you should make sure that the camera has an acceptable lens. These two criterias basically exclude cameras below the $50 range. DV cameras supporting full-frame mode are suitable, while those with interlaced mode only, will not work at all. For lowest latency and best performance we recommend firewire cameras from the top range, such as industrial cameras with a high framerate and resolution. These cameras usually also come with high quality lenses. Cheaper firewire cameras, such as the unibrain fire-i also allow optional wide-angle lenses."

Cheers
Simon

Brad Fuller-2 wrote
Simon Holland wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have just uploaded the first version of Tuio for Squeak.
> Tuio allows Squeak to use the reacTIVision computer vision system to track
> physical objects in real time. The package includes a Tuio client and
> demonstration application program. To make practical use of Tuio for Squeak
> you will need a webcam or other camera, and should download the free
> Reactivision application for your operating system.  To learn more, see
> http://mcs.open.ac.uk/sh2/squeakmusic.html).
>
> Tuio for Squeak makes it easy to build tangible user interfaces using
> fiducial markers on physical objects.
>
> Tuio for Squeak allows the rapid development of table-based tangible user
> interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.
>
> Prerequisite Package -  OSC 5.1 or later.
> Please let me know if you find any problems.

sounds cool, Simon. How come a "visual" application needs OSC?

Also, would any of your work be applicable to a typical web camera for
IM use?

Re: [ANN] Tuio - Tangible User Interaction on Squeak

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Simon,

could you please post your package on the Universe? How-to is at:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5899.

Thank you

2007/10/4, Simon Holland <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All
>
> I have just uploaded the first version of Tuio for Squeak.
> Tuio allows Squeak to use the reacTIVision computer vision system to track
> physical objects in real time. The package includes a Tuio client and
> demonstration application program. To make practical use of Tuio for Squeak
> you will need a webcam or other camera, and should download the free
> Reactivision application for your operating system.  To learn more, see
> http://mcs.open.ac.uk/sh2/squeakmusic.html).
>
> Tuio for Squeak makes it easy to build tangible user interfaces using
> fiducial markers on physical objects.
>
> Tuio for Squeak allows the rapid development of table-based tangible user
> interfaces (TUI) and multi-touch interactive surfaces.
>
> Prerequisite Package -  OSC 5.1 or later.
> Please let me know if you find any problems.
>
> Simon Holland

Damien Cassou