[ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

12

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

Lex Spoon
stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> writes:
> Excellent!
> You are given us a lesson of "Do-it"

Indeed.  great work!  -Lex

Scamper Re: [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

karl-8
Lex Spoon skrev:

> Robert Withers <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I tried to add support for a POST command, but I couldn't really test
>> it because I couldn't find a WebBrowser.  Do we still have one?  I
>> wanted to do my online banking in squeak! :-)
>>

> It's called Scamper.  It does not seem to work in 3.9, though, because
> a class named "WebPageMorph" is missing.
>
> If your code is loadable in 3.7, you could develop in that version.
> There is a package-universes release of 3.7, and its version of
> Scamper works fine.
>
>     http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3835
>

> -Lex

I will look into these issues, and try to get Scamper to work properly
with 3.9
Karl

Re: [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

Rob Withers

On Oct 4, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Robert Withers <[hidden email]> writes:
>> I tried to add support for a POST command, but I couldn't really test
>> it because I couldn't find a WebBrowser.  Do we still have one?  I
>> wanted to do my online banking in squeak! :-)
>
> It's called Scamper.  It does not seem to work in 3.9, though, because
> a class named "WebPageMorph" is missing.
>
> If your code is loadable in 3.7, you could develop in that version.
> There is a package-universes release of 3.7, and its version of
> Scamper works fine.
>
>     http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3835

Yeah, unfortunately there is no Monticello Browser in 3.7.  I found
both in the 3.8 image, however.  Once I fixed the #asUrl logic to
include https, I was able to load https pages.  But when I tried to
login to my bank, to test https POST logic, the login button logic
failed.  The FormInputSet had a form that was missing the url.  I
couldn't dig too deeply.   I tried some other sites and they had
difficulty even displaying the login button.  I am figuring that
Javascript is an issue.  It was worth a try.

cheers,
Robert

Re: Scamper Re: [ANN] Working SSL In Squeak

tblanchard
You know, it would be extra cool if someone who is good at graphics
and web stuff were to use the HtmlParser I wrote and build a proper
renderer on top of it.  I think we have most of the pieces to do a
workable web client (we only lack Javascript), just needs integration
work and rendering.

Perhaps when I get down to one job again...

-Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard skrev:
> You know, it would be extra cool if someone who is good at graphics
> and web stuff were to use the HtmlParser I wrote and build a proper
> renderer on top of it.  I think we have most of the pieces to do a
> workable web client (we only lack Javascript), just needs integration
> work and rendering.
>
> Perhaps when I get down to one job again...

I have tried to do a html table morph and have scratched my head
over all the quirks and loops one have to jump through. CSS I have not
looked at at all
but I guess the same problems will pop up. Automatic layout stuff is
really hard to get right.
I salute anyone who dare take on that beast
Karl

Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> writes:
> You know, it would be extra cool if someone who is good at graphics
> and web stuff were to use the HtmlParser I wrote and build a proper
> renderer on top of it.  I think we have most of the pieces to do a
> workable web client (we only lack Javascript), just needs integration
> work and rendering.

As far as I know Scamper parses HTML just fine.  If you think not,
maybe lobby to get Scamper using your parser?  What is better about
it?

IMHO the next step for Scamper would be to implement a TableMorph and
then get Scamper to talk to it.  Just beware that people have tried
and then fizzled out.

Alternatively, there are always lurking options of trying to use
Mozilla code.  That way, you'd be really feature complete on whatever
parts you reused.  At the very least the pages would *look* nice.

-Lex

Lex Spoon skrev:

> Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> You know, it would be extra cool if someone who is good at graphics
>> and web stuff were to use the HtmlParser I wrote and build a proper
>> renderer on top of it.  I think we have most of the pieces to do a
>> workable web client (we only lack Javascript), just needs integration
>> work and rendering.
>>

> As far as I know Scamper parses HTML just fine.  If you think not,
> maybe lobby to get Scamper using your parser?  What is better about
> it?
>

> IMHO the next step for Scamper would be to implement a TableMorph and
> then get Scamper to talk to it.  Just beware that people have tried
> and then fizzled out.

I think the parser is fine and pretty easy to extend. The hard part is
whipping TextMorph, MorphicLayout and company into laying out the html
in a somewhat decent manner.
Karl

On Oct 9, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> As far as I know Scamper parses HTML just fine.  If you think not,
> maybe lobby to get Scamper using your parser?  What is better about
> it?

It understands CSS.
It understands DOCTYPEs
It understands W3C DOCTYPE definitions for the various HTML/
XHTMLstandards and can use them to guess about and recover from
malformed HTML.  It can download new DOCTYPES and use them. This
makes it somewhat future proof.

It has support for more modern tags like DIV and SPAN (missing in
Scamper).

The only thing it is missing to be on par with modern browser like
Firefox is Javascript support - which could be added either via a
SpiderMonkey plugin, or a native JS interpreter, and plugin support.

HTML has changed a lot in the last few years and I don't think
Scamper has kept up, which is why I started from scratch when I wrote
the parser used to do http://badpage.net.  I did look at what was
available first.

-Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard skrev:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 11:23 AM, Lex Spoon wrote:
>

>> As far as I know Scamper parses HTML just fine.  If you think not,
>> maybe lobby to get Scamper using your parser?  What is better about
>> it?
>
> It understands CSS.
> It understands DOCTYPEs
> It understands W3C DOCTYPE definitions for the various
> HTML/XHTMLstandards and can use them to guess about and recover from
> malformed HTML.  It can download new DOCTYPES and use them. This makes
> it somewhat future proof.
>
> It has support for more modern tags like DIV and SPAN (missing in
> Scamper).
This sounds good :-)

> The only thing it is missing to be on par with modern browser like
> Firefox is Javascript support - which could be added either via a
> SpiderMonkey plugin, or a native JS interpreter, and plugin support.
>
> HTML has changed a lot in the last few years and I don't think Scamper
> has kept up, which is why I started from scratch when I wrote the
> parser used to do http://badpage.net.  I did look at what was
> available first.
Sounds like building Scamper on top of your parser is a good idea.
Karl

> -Todd Blanchard

12