[ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
bunch of new features to be tried and tested:

- Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
instance variable type determination.
- New detail pane for current menu entry
- Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
- menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
- Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
- Uses same colors as Shout
- Help

3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.

eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
find more documentation there.

Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and feedback!

Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Chris Patrick Schreiner
This is great stuff!!

Ruben Bakker wrote:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and feedback!
>
> Ruben

RE: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ramon Leon
> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There
> are a bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for
> better instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the
> version 3.0b1 by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion.
> You'll find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> feedback!
>
> Ruben

Fantastic, I love it already, keep up the great work.

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

garduino
Very, VERY good!

Cheers.
gsa.

2006/3/30, Ruben Bakker <[hidden email]>:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Chris Muller
Stunning.  Simply gorgeous.

It is high time Squeak got a such a nice and serious productivity
update to its core dev tools.  I knew someone would do it eventually.
This level of auto-completion is finally on par with eclipse.

It looks like you've really given great consideration to the subtle
usability.  I *really* like the keyboard support; thank you for that.
Good keyboard support really helps me go faster.

Even the web site is gorgeous, simple and.. heh, uncomplex!  :)

I had tried the previous version of eCompletion a while ago (still have
it installed) but eventually turned it off because it doesn't seem to
work well with #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus enabled.  I run with this on
all the time just so I can easily close windows with command+w.  I'm
always opening a (hierarchy or tracing-messages) browser and then
conveniently closing via keyboard.  Ha!  Ironically, I suppose this has
been my "poor-mans" ecompletion, I'll probably switch to the real thing
now (I will miss command+w)..

Thanks for the great contribution!
 Chris

PS - I hit a couple of notifications..  Here's one of them.

30 March 2006 9:52:44 pm

VM: Win32 - a SmalltalkImage
Image: Squeak3.8 [latest update: #6665]

SecurityManager state:
Restricted: false
FileAccess: true
SocketAccess: true
Working Dir C:\Development\Chris\Development\Squeak
Trusted Dir C:\Development\Chris\Development\Squeak\Chris
Untrusted Dir C:\My Squeak\Chris

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #model
        Receiver: nil
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                aMessage: model
        Receiver's instance variables:
nil

TextMorph>>keyStroke:
        Receiver: a TextMorph(2873)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                evt: [keystroke '<left>']
                action: nil
                completionAllowed: nil
                stringHolder: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                bounds: 522@482 corner: 894@652
                owner: an ECDetailMorph(1665)
                submorphs: #()
                fullBounds: 522@482 corner: 894@652
                color: Color black
                extension: a MorphExtension (1702) [other:  (autoFitContents ->
false)]
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black
                textStyle: a TextStyle Verdana
                text: a Text for 'actionMap

        ^EventManager actionMapFor: self'
                wrapFlag: true
                paragraph: a MultiNewParagraph
                editor: nil
                container: nil
                predecessor: nil
                successor: nil
                backgroundColor: nil
                margins: nil

TextMorph>>handleKeystroke:
        Receiver: a TextMorph(2873)
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anEvent: [keystroke '<left>']
                pasteUp: nil
        Receiver's instance variables:
                bounds: 522@482 corner: 894@652
                owner: an ECDetailMorph(1665)
                submorphs: #()
                fullBounds: 522@482 corner: 894@652
                color: Color black
                extension: a MorphExtension (1702) [other:  (autoFitContents ->
false)]
                borderWidth: 0
                borderColor: Color black
                textStyle: a TextStyle Verdana
                text: a Text for 'actionMap

        ^EventManager actionMapFor: self'
                wrapFlag: true
                paragraph: a MultiNewParagraph
                editor: nil
                container: nil
                predecessor: nil
                successor: nil
                backgroundColor: nil
                margins: nil

KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
        Receiver: [keystroke '<left>']
        Arguments and temporary variables:
                anObject: a TextMorph(2873)
        Receiver's instance variables:
                timeStamp: 35880924
                source: a HandMorph(2006)
                type: #keystroke
                buttons: 0
                position: 704@523
                handler: nil
                wasHandled: true
                keyValue: 28

--- The full stack ---
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #model
TextMorph>>keyStroke:
TextMorph>>handleKeystroke:
KeyboardEvent>>sentTo:
TextMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
TextMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
ECDetailMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
ECMenuMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
PasteUpMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
PasteUpMorph>>processEvent:using:
PasteUpMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendKeyboardEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor: {[:h |  ActiveHand := h.  h
processEvents.  capturingGesture := capturingGest...]}
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess {[[World doOneCycle.  Processor
yield.  false] whileFalse.  nil]}
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess {[self value.  Processor
terminateActive]}

--- Ruben Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Chun, Sungjin
Could this work in MVC too? I'm using my customized MVC only image
and I miss eCompletion very much :-)

On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:37 AM, Ruben Bakker wrote:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Frank Urbach
Hi Ruben!

Great! For beginners like me the coding is much easier.
Thanks for this cool tool.

Cheers,
 Frank

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
Thank you all for the positive feedback!!!

@chris: I've fixed the bug. It would be great if you could test it.
Just download the latest version from squeaksource and give it a try.
Here is the link:
http://www.squeaksource.com/eCompletion/ECompletion-bar.78.mcz.
Concerning #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus - I'll look into it... and give
you feedback.

Ruben

On 3/31/06, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> --- Ruben Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> > bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
> >
> > - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> > instance variable type determination.
> > - New detail pane for current menu entry
> > - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> > - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> > - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> > - Uses same colors as Shout
> > - Help
> >
> > 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> > you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> > by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
> >
> > eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> > find more documentation there.
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
When I first released eCompletion more than a year ago, MVC support
was requested, too. I then asked how many people work on MVC without
Morphic, it seemed not worth the effort. Has the situation changed?

Personally I would prefer a Tweak port of eCompletion, as this will be
the future Ui framework for squeak. But I don't know when the
transition from Morphic to Tweak will happen and how important Tweak
is at the present time.

And there is even wxSqueak to consider - so many options...

Ruben

On 3/31/06, Sungjin Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could this work in MVC too? I'm using my customized MVC only image
> and I miss eCompletion very much :-)
>
> On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:37 AM, Ruben Bakker wrote:
>
> > On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> > bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
> >
> > - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> > instance variable type determination.
> > - New detail pane for current menu entry
> > - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> > - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> > - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> > - Uses same colors as Shout
> > - Help
> >
> > 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> > you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> > by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
> >
> > eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> > find more documentation there.
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> > feedback!
> >
> > Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno ven, 31/03/2006 alle 14.43 +0200, Ruben Bakker ha scritto:
> When I first released eCompletion more than a year ago, MVC support
> was requested, too. I then asked how many people work on MVC without
> Morphic, it seemed not worth the effort. Has the situation changed?
>
> Personally I would prefer a Tweak port of eCompletion
> [...]
> And there is even wxSqueak to consider - so many options...

Can't eCompletion use the Toolbuilder system?

        Giovanni

| | |

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
Hi Chris,

I looked into the #mouseOverForKeyboardFocus matter. An eCompletion
menu now gives back the focus to the editors morph when entered with
the mouse. It only gets focus, when you click into the source code in
the detail pane. Would you mind to try it out and give me feedback how
it works?

You find the changed version here:
http://www.squeaksource.com/eCompletion/ECompletion-bar.79.mcz

> [...]

> --- Ruben Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> > bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
> >
> > - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> > instance variable type determination.
> > - New detail pane for current menu entry
> > - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> > - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> > - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> > - Uses same colors as Shout
> > - Help
> >
> > 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> > you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> > by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
> >
> > eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> > find more documentation there.
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

stéphane ducasse-2
Coooooool
I hope that we will add it to the Squeak-Developer image.
:)

On 30 mars 06, at 19:37, Ruben Bakker wrote:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

stéphane ducasse-2
New in 3.0! Integration with the award wining RoelTyper framework for
instance variable type evaluation.

:)))))))))))

You should participate to the ESUG 2006 competition....

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi ruben

here is what I did
        loaded in latest 39alpha 7021 image
        shout 3.15
        http://www.squeaksource.com/eCompletion/ECompletion-bar.78.mcz.

        then opened a classbrowser
        selected a method
                in the code pane
                a press tab and I got the system blocked.

Stef

On 30 mars 06, at 19:37, Ruben Bakker wrote:

> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
>
> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> instance variable type determination.
> - New detail pane for current menu entry
> - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> - Uses same colors as Shout
> - Help
>
> 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
>
> eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> find more documentation there.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> feedback!
>
> Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
Hi Stef,

I tried to reproduce the problem. TAB does not work, it just inserts a
TAB in the code pane. I'll fix that, in the mean time enter
ctrl-space.

You'll need Shout 4, I don't know about 3.15.

I didn't test 3.9a 7021, only 7006. I test 3.9a again this weekend...

Ruben

On 3/31/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ruben
>
> here is what I did
>         loaded in latest 39alpha 7021 image
>         shout 3.15
>         http://www.squeaksource.com/eCompletion/ECompletion-bar.78.mcz.
>
>         then opened a classbrowser
>         selected a method
>                 in the code pane
>                 a press tab and I got the system blocked.
>
> Stef
>
> On 30 mars 06, at 19:37, Ruben Bakker wrote:
>
> > On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> > bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
> >
> > - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> > instance variable type determination.
> > - New detail pane for current menu entry
> > - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> > - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> > - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> > - Uses same colors as Shout
> > - Help
> >
> > 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> > you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> > by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
> >
> > eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> > find more documentation there.
> >
> > Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> > feedback!
> >
> > Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Chris Muller
> Would you mind to try it out and give me feedback
> how
> it works?

Wow that was fast.  I certainly will try it out this weekend.

Thank you!

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Ruben Bakker
Wrong information from my side. The TAB key does work, there is a
difference between TAB and Ctrl-Space: TAB works only when the caret
is positioned behind a alphanumeric character otherwise you get a TAB
character inserted.

Stef, my 3.9a tests are still pending...
Ruben

On 3/31/06, Ruben Bakker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> I tried to reproduce the problem. TAB does not work, it just inserts a
> TAB in the code pane. I'll fix that, in the mean time enter
> ctrl-space.
>
> You'll need Shout 4, I don't know about 3.15.
>
> I didn't test 3.9a 7021, only 7006. I test 3.9a again this weekend...
>
> Ruben
>
> On 3/31/06, stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi ruben
> >
> > here is what I did
> >         loaded in latest 39alpha 7021 image
> >         shout 3.15
> >         http://www.squeaksource.com/eCompletion/ECompletion-bar.78.mcz.
> >
> >         then opened a classbrowser
> >         selected a method
> >                 in the code pane
> >                 a press tab and I got the system blocked.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On 30 mars 06, at 19:37, Ruben Bakker wrote:
> >
> > > On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
> > > bunch of new features to be tried and tested:
> > >
> > > - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better
> > > instance variable type determination.
> > > - New detail pane for current menu entry
> > > - Open a (class, implementers) browser on a menu entry
> > > - menu paging (PageUp, PageDown, Home, End)
> > > - Character completion for quotes, brackets etc.
> > > - Uses same colors as Shout
> > > - Help
> > >
> > > 3.0b1 is beta, so I didn't publish it. In "Squeakmap Package Loader"
> > > you need to open the eCompletion entry and install the version 3.0b1
> > > by right clicking and choosing "install" on it.
> > >
> > > eCompletion got a new home: http://uncomplex.net/ecompletion. You'll
> > > find more documentation there.
> > >
> > > Please don't hesitate to send me bug reports, suggestions and
> > > feedback!
> > >
> > > Ruben

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Herbert König
Hello Ruben,

RB> On SqueakMap you'll find a new release of eCompletion. There are a
RB> bunch of new features to be tried and tested:

whenever I go to one of my "beforeECompletion" images, first thing I
do is load eCompletion. Big time saver!

RB> - Integration with RoelTyper (created by Roel Wuyts) for better

The older version would work in the class comments too when doing the
part:
 instVar1     type -- comment about the purpose of instVar1

instVar and type sadly have stopped working. Please please, make it
work again.

And sometimes eCompletion has nothing to offer when I think it should
and formerly did. If you like I'll email you next time I'll encounter
it.

Thank you for making eCompletion!

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] eCompletion 3.0b1

Roel Wuyts
I would be interested if you could send me some examples of things
you encounter, so that I can see whether or not to support them in
RoelTyper.

PS: I made some changes to the VisualWorks version of RoelTyper that
I will feed back in the Squeak version.