[ANN] package universe with Damien's picks

[ANN] package universe with Damien's picks

Lex Spoon
I have set up a package universe that has Damien Cassou's picks [1]
for his developer's image.  It's the default now, so, if you install
"YAXO" and "Universes" from SqueakMap, your image will be pointed at
this Damien's picks universe.  You can then select packages among
these finest of Grade-A packages, without having to worry about
dependencies.

Let me join the chorus and thank Damien for doing this kind of work.
I of all people can tell you it takes time and effort.  When I made an
analogous effort for Squeak 3.7, I found that only 200 of the 500
published packages made sense for the then-current version of Squeak
[2].  You'll notice that I have not found the time and energy to try
it a second time!  :)

I'd love to hear how it works for anyone.  I cannot add major features
right now, as much as it pains me, but I can try to fix any smaller
problems that crop up.

-Lex

[1] http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/seaside/pier

[2] http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3835

Re: [ANN] package universe with Damien's picks

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 07:52:12AM -0700, Lex Spoon wrote:
> I have set up a package universe that has Damien Cassou's picks [1]
> for his developer's image.  It's the default now, so, if you install
> "YAXO" and "Universes" from SqueakMap, your image will be pointed at
> this Damien's picks universe.  You can then select packages among
> these finest of Grade-A packages, without having to worry about
> dependencies.

Outstanding!

This provides a nice simple way to browse and load the packages. It's
easy to use, works well, and gives me some reasonable confidence that
the packages I'm loading are actually going to work.

One minor nit in this universe, selecting the "Tric-RefractoringBrowser version 7"
gives a warning "could not find necessary package: RefactoringEngine".

Excellent stuff, highly recommended.

Dave

"David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> writes:
> One minor nit in this universe, selecting the
> "Tric-RefractoringBrowser version 7" gives a warning "could not find
> necessary package: RefactoringEngine".

Ahh, it should be "Refactoring Engine" with a space.  Fixed now.  -Lex

Re: [ANN] package universe with Damien's picks

Markus Gälli-3

On Oct 27, 2006, at 4:52 PM, Lex Spoon wrote:

> I have set up a package universe that has Damien Cassou's picks [1]
> for his developer's image.  It's the default now, so, if you install
> "YAXO" and "Universes" from SqueakMap, your image will be pointed at
> this Damien's picks universe.  You can then select packages among
> these finest of Grade-A packages, without having to worry about
> dependencies.
>
> Let me join the chorus and thank Damien for doing this kind of work.
> I of all people can tell you it takes time and effort.  When I made an
> analogous effort for Squeak 3.7, I found that only 200 of the 500
> published packages made sense for the then-current version of Squeak
> [2].  You'll notice that I have not found the time and energy to try
> it a second time!  :)
>
> I'd love to hear how it works for anyone.  I cannot add major features
> right now, as much as it pains me, but I can try to fix any smaller
> problems that crop up.

Thanks Lex and Damien.
I truly believe this is the way to go regarding package maintenance
in Squeak.

Cheers,

Markus