[ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

[ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Pavel Krivanek
This is the experimental package The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image:

http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/RoS.zip

Use kernel image with condensed changes. The size of the resultant
image is about 9.9MB and it doesn't include FFI and Speach.

The code of this package is generated automatically. Only the
initialization order and operations is modified manually.

The result is working Morphic image. Of course, not everything works
well but at least it shows that removing and reloading of Morphic, MVC
etc. is possible (see attached screenshot).

Enjoy...

-- Pavel

world.jpg (60K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel:
You made it.
I declare you winner of small image .
I download what you did and study.

Congratulations.
Edgar

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Re: [ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Alan Kay
Great!

Just curious ...how many lines of code is all this?

Cheers,

Alan

-----------

At 01:29 AM 7/22/2006, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

>This is the experimental package The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image:
>
>http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/RoS.zip
>
>Use kernel image with condensed changes. The size of the resultant
>image is about 9.9MB and it doesn't include FFI and Speach.
>
>The code of this package is generated automatically. Only the
>initialization order and operations is modified manually.
>
>The result is working Morphic image. Of course, not everything works
>well but at least it shows that removing and reloading of Morphic, MVC
>etc. is possible (see attached screenshot).
>
>Enjoy...
>
>-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Pavel Krivanek
Hi Alan,

this is the lines count of exported *.st files:

kernel image  - 109,000
The Rest of Squeak - 377,000

As you can see, the kernel is still full of mess :-) I hope that we
will be able to clean it more and to do license audit of the remaining
code. User then may load the SqueakL code from internet manually.
Current image size is about 2,9 MB. AFAIK about 1MB are Unicode tables
and other m17n related stuff.

The kernel image is prepared inside the full image. You create source
codes of the new image (mirrors) and then you recompile image with
this new sources. That's why it is quite easy to compare this two
worlds and to create difference package.

support code for preparation of the kernel image - about 400 lines
+ some code for the console etc. (about 1,000)
current non-generated code for Morphic initialization - only about 50 lines

So very small piece of code :-)

Cheers,

-- Pavel

On 7/22/06, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great!
>
> Just curious ...how many lines of code is all this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> -----------
>
> At 01:29 AM 7/22/2006, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> >This is the experimental package The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image:
> >
> >http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/RoS.zip
> >
> >Use kernel image with condensed changes. The size of the resultant
> >image is about 9.9MB and it doesn't include FFI and Speach.
> >
> >The code of this package is generated automatically. Only the
> >initialization order and operations is modified manually.
> >
> >The result is working Morphic image. Of course, not everything works
> >well but at least it shows that removing and reloading of Morphic, MVC
> >etc. is possible (see attached screenshot).
> >
> >Enjoy...
> >
> >-- Pavel

Re: [ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Marcus Denker

On 22.07.2006, at 10:29, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> This is the experimental package The Rest of Squeak for the kernel
> image:
>
> http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/20/RoS.zip
>
> Use kernel image with condensed changes. The size of the resultant
> image is about 9.9MB and it doesn't include FFI and Speach.

Very nice!

     Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] small miracle :-) The Rest of Squeak for the kernel image

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Pavel,

on Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:51:22 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> this is the lines count of exported *.st files:
>
> kernel image  - 109,000
> The Rest of Squeak - 377,000
>
> As you can see, the kernel is still full of mess :-) I hope that we
> will be able to clean it more and to do license audit of the remaining
> code. User then may load the SqueakL code from internet manually.
> Current image size is about 2,9 MB. AFAIK about 1MB are Unicode tables
> and other m17n related stuff.
Attached are two .cs files which together compile same 200KB Unicode table
data out of the .image (kernel as well as regular). They rewrite Unicode's
GeneralCategory SparseLargeTable oop entries (Strings) by using byte
(8bit) entries.

/Klaus

P.S
The third attached file is for those of you interested in performance data
points before/after applying the above and for validating that String
comparisons are no longer used by Character membership tests. This file's
changes are not intended to be kept in any image (use a regular image and
version revert before saving the image).

P.P.S.
Yoshiki-san, these are the same files I sent you recently.

Unicode-kwl-test.cs (1K) Download Attachment
Unicode-kwl.1.cs (5K) Download Attachment
Unicode-kwl.2.cs (2K) Download Attachment