ARM 64 Bit VM/Support?

darth-cheney
Hi all,

Yesterday someone pointed out that there do not appear to be builds for the ARM VM in 64bit on the Squeak website. I actually don't see these in the regular OpenSmalltalkVM builds either. But there does appear to be a build folder for it in the official repo (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/build.linux64ARMv8)

Is the VM (and Squeak generally) supported on 64-bit ARM?

Thanks

--
Eric

Re: ARM 64 Bit VM/Support?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Eric,

On Feb 23, 2020, at 9:05 AM, Eric Gade <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Yesterday someone pointed out that there do not appear to be builds for the ARM VM in 64bit on the Squeak website. I actually don't see these in the regular OpenSmalltalkVM builds either. But there does appear to be a build folder for it in the official repo (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/Cog/build.linux64ARMv8)

Is the VM (and Squeak generally) supported on 64-bit ARM?

The stack build should be supported.  On Thursday & Friday I also got past the issue that was blocking progress on the ARMv8 JIT, so I hope to provide a production JIT version by April (the work is only partially funded).  “Supported” is an interesting phrase.  What does it mean when vm work, just like the rest of the image work, is essentially unfunded?

Thanks

--
Eric