ARM Cog fires up

timrowledge
After a lot of ‘fun’ yesterday I managed to compile a debug cog arm vm a few minutes ago. It started up loaded the image and very quickly failed. The really cool part is that it failed ‘politely’ by detecting its own problem and opening a debugger (squeak, not gdb) and it failed pretty much exactly where the simulation failed last week. Which means around 130 million bytecodes were translated and run, with some 2500 compiled methods translated and at least one full garbage collection.

https://plus.google.com/107730379469391818270/posts/hiGXJeLjbUq

tim
Science adjusts its views based on what is observed. Faith denies observation so belief can be preserved

ARM Cog fires up

Louis LaBrunda
Real Cool!!!

On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:30:03 -0700, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>After a lot of ‘fun’ yesterday I managed to compile a debug cog arm vm a few minutes ago. It started up loaded the image and very quickly failed. The really cool part is that it failed ‘politely’ by detecting its own problem and opening a debugger (squeak, not gdb) and it failed pretty much exactly where the simulation failed last week. Which means around 130 million bytecodes were translated and run, with some 2500 compiled methods translated and at least one full garbage collection.
>
>https://plus.google.com/107730379469391818270/posts/hiGXJeLjbUq
>
>tim
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: ARM Cog fires up

timfelgentreff
Yay! Is it far enough so I can run benchmarks against RSqueakVM on my Raspberry Pi? Supposedly the RPython JIT isn't quite as advanced on ARM as it is on x86, and I would like to quantify this against Cog on that architecture.

Re: ARM Cog fires up

timrowledge

On 29-04-2015, at 1:11 PM, timfelgentreff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yay! Is it far enough so I can run benchmarks against RSqueakVM on my
> Raspberry Pi? Supposedly the RPython JIT isn't quite as advanced on ARM as
> it is on x86, and I would like to quantify this against Cog on that
> architecture.

Not even close! It’ll be a while before we get to that stage I think.

tim
Programmers do it bit by bit.