AW: Re: Problem with save as ...

Frank Urbach
Saving Croquet participant is not the goal. But saving the master during a long term simulation and a restart later is a possible scenario.

Cheers,
  Frank

Re: AW: Re: Problem with save as ...

Peter Moore-5
I think the better solution is checkpointing the island to disk and
restarting from that.

On May 3, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Frank Urbach wrote:

> Saving Croquet participant is not the goal. But saving the master
> during a long term simulation and a restart later is a possible
> scenario.
>
> Cheers,
>   Frank

Re: AW: Re: Problem with save as ...

Laurence Rozier
I can envision a time when there won't be a need to save an image with an open participant but in the meantime without transparently persistent worlds wherein all 2D work can be easily done it seems like a pretty good thing to have. If a Croqueteer jumps over to another project she needs to be able to save the image while working. Having to go back close the participant is a hassle, forgetting to saving and blowing away work is worse. The latter can be a double blow because the changes just made to the Croquet space get lost as well. If one checkpoints the island to disk it is still desirable to be able to quit, reload the image, and be in the exact same place as before. One could trigger events to cause this behavior but it seems like there ought to be a default approach so that CroquetSpaces are interoperable. My mindset here is of one who has been using Squeak projects extensively over the years and is thinking about CroquetSpaces in a similar manner - I realize that folks who've been playing with Jasmine/Hedgehog have fresh perspectives.

Cheers,

Laurence