About Configurations

12

Re: About Configurations

Hannes Hirzel
On 7/16/10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes. I'm for the GUI mockup I created (based on TestRunner) and not for the
> gui mockup Andreas created (based on SqueakMap). The details are in those
> posts. I'm just not sure what problem we're trying to solve. I think it'd be
> exciting to use configurations to shrink the image to 5 megs. But I'm not
> the community, so the more opinions we get from people, the better.
>
> Chris

Chris

Could you elaborate a bit more what you mean in your proposal**?

1) What is in the list on the left hand side? (BuildConfig1). Is that
a kind of configurations of configurations? If yes how are they
defined?

2) What are the three panes on the right hand side meant for?

The problem we are trying to solve is to find an agreement how a GUI
which loads MetaCello configurations and probably SAR packages (see
other thread) is going to look like.
This is illustrated by working code.

--Hannes

** The code is in the inbox under the category 'ConfigBrowser2'.

ConfigBrowser2-Chris.PNG (37K) Download Attachment

Re: About Configurations

Hannes Hirzel
And here for ease of reference a screen shot of Andreas' prototype.

>From Inbox:
Name: ConfigBrowser-ar.3
Author: ar
Time: 20 May 2010, 9:22:56.75 pm

--Hannes

ConfigBrowser-ar3.png (37K) Download Attachment

Re: About Configurations

Hannes Hirzel
And here the one of Andreas which gives version numbers for packages
(people however wanted something simpler).

Inbox

Name: ConfigBrowser-ar.1
Author: ar
Time: 18 May 2010, 10:32:53.736 pm

ConfigBrowser-ar1.png (35K) Download Attachment

Re: About Configurations

Chris Cunnington
Let me make something clear: Andreas is in charge. I'm not trying to create any conflict. I figure I have opinions and I'll put them out there. I'm happy to have them rejected, OK? If this turns into something where we have hostility, I'll just stop talking.

We all want a smaller image. There are two ways we can do that. We either have a monolithic kernel which shrinks. Or we break the image into pieces.

The image Hannes has provided is of the GUI mockup I created a while ago. The first two panes matter. The rest is just left over that could be used to give information. We already know what Metacello configurations are. That's what's listed in the second pane. So make Metacello configurations of core material, such as Network, Compiler, Morphic. Break the core image down to pieces except for a tiny rump core.

The BuildConfig pane on the left would be for lists. A BuildConfig would just be a list of Metacello configurations. You'd see all configurations in the second pane. Some could be deselected to customize the list. Then at the bottom you'd have a button that said install.

You'd have one list for a Seaside image, one for Cobalt, one for Etoys, for a server image with no GUI. They'd all be accomplished with lists of Metacello configurations. The BuildConfig pane would just present a bunch of lists of Metacello configurations. That's the idea.

And if you don't like it, I'm fine with that. But it is axiomatic that we all want a smaller core Squeak.

Chris

Re: About Configurations

Hannes Hirzel
Chris,
This makes sense for me. The left hand side in your proposal is a list
of 'distributions'. People can choose one for an image to be built on
request.

--Hannes

On 7/16/10, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me make something clear: Andreas is in charge. I'm not trying to create
> any conflict. I figure I have opinions and I'll put them out there. I'm
> happy to have them rejected, OK? If this turns into something where we have
> hostility, I'll just stop talking.
>
> We all want a smaller image. There are two ways we can do that. We either
> have a monolithic kernel which shrinks. Or we break the image into pieces.
>
> The image Hannes has provided is of the GUI mockup I created a while ago.
> The first two panes matter. The rest is just left over that could be used to
> give information. We already know what Metacello configurations are. That's
> what's listed in the second pane. So make Metacello configurations of core
> material, such as Network, Compiler, Morphic. Break the core image down to
> pieces except for a tiny rump core.
>
> The BuildConfig pane on the left would be for lists. A BuildConfig would
> just be a list of Metacello configurations. You'd see all configurations in
> the second pane. Some could be deselected to customize the list. Then at the
> bottom you'd have a button that said install.
>
> You'd have one list for a Seaside image, one for Cobalt, one for Etoys, for
> a server image with no GUI. They'd all be accomplished with lists of
> Metacello configurations. The BuildConfig pane would just present a bunch of
> lists of Metacello configurations. That's the idea.
>
> And if you don't like it, I'm fine with that. But it is axiomatic that we
> all want a smaller core Squeak.
>
> Chris

12