About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran
Hi,

The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.

I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:

(PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
(PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
(PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
(PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765

(PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
(PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
(PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
(PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154

Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.

Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.

Cheers,
Richo

Re: About Skeleton

Bert Freudenberg

On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>
> I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>
> Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>
> Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project? Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.

- Bert -

Re: About Skeleton

Karl Ramberg
I also would like to integrate Skeleton in Etoys sometime.
It's a nice tool and give many new ways to make animation etc.

I have not looked at the code at all.

Is the license ok ?

There is not much documentation as far as I know.

We could add it and gradually expose it as it get documented and
tested for bugs etc.

Karl

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>>
>> I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:
>>
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>>
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>>
>> Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>>
>> Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richo
>
> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project? Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>
> - Bert -

Re: About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>
> I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>
> Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>
> Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?

My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files, but not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.

I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for integrating Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of csv files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that difficult, I suppose.

Cheers,
Richo

- Bert -

Re: About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also would like to integrate Skeleton in Etoys sometime.
It's a nice tool and give many new ways to make animation etc.

I have not looked at the code at all.

Is the license ok ?

Mmmm... I didn't look but we might have a problem because it seems to be SqueakL. That's not acceptable, right?

There is not much documentation as far as I know.

We could add it and gradually expose it as it get documented and
tested for bugs etc.

Karl

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>>
>> I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:
>>
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
>> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>>
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
>> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>>
>> Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>>
>> Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richo
>
> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project? Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>
> - Bert -

Re: About Skeleton

Randy Caton
I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and basic and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create. Couldn't the functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does Skeleton allow plots? If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to see them in etoys also.

Randy

Randall Caton
41596 Bald Eagle Drive
Bigfork, MN 56628
218-832-3490
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>
> I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with DrGeo:
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
> (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
> (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>
> Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>
> Anyway, if you want to test it: http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>
> Cheers,
> Richo

How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?

My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files, but not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.

I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for integrating Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of csv files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that difficult, I suppose.

Cheers,
Richo

- Bert -

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Karl Ramberg
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and basic
> and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create. Couldn't the
> functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does Skeleton allow plots?
> If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to see them in etoys
> also.
> Randy

Hi
I think it is possible to make all these graphs out of skeleton.
>From what I see is Skeleton a extension to the way we script and
visualize in Etoys,
It seems to have a thought out model.

Only working with it and managing the code will tell if it something
we find useful and worth while.

Karl

> Randall Caton
> 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
> Bigfork, MN 56628
> 218-832-3490
> http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
> Sent from my iPhone
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 11.10.2011, at 14:34, Ricardo Moran wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > The squeak list is currently discussing about a spreadsheet morph, and
>> > that just reminded me about how cool is Skeleton actually. So I'm wondering
>> > why it is not in Etoys? I found an old discussion stating that it could be a
>> > nice extension to Etoys but the biggest issue being the slow loading of
>> > external code. I have to agree with that being a problem but I think we
>> > might reconsider just include it in the image as with Dr Geo.
>> >
>> > I know we already have a bloated image full of half finished projects
>> > but from what I briefly tested Skeleton seems to work out of the box. And it
>> > doesn't add a *huge* amount of new code. See this simple comparison with
>> > DrGeo:
>> >
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') systemCategories size. 2
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') classes size. 38
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') methods size. 654
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'Skeleton') linesOfCode. 4765
>> >
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') systemCategories size. 10
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') classes size. 214
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') methods size.  1863
>> > (PackageInfo named: 'DrGeoII') linesOfCode.  17154
>> >
>> > Another issue, I guess, is that if Skeleton gets included someone will
>> > have to maintain it, but from what I've seen the latest version dates from
>> > 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>> >
>> > Anyway, if you want to test it:
>> > http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Richo
>>
>> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?
>
> My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files, but
> not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
> functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.
>

>> Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>
> I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for integrating
> Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of csv
> files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that
> difficult, I suppose.
> Cheers,
> Richo
>

>> - Bert -

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran
Hi,

I uploaded to the inbox a version of Skeleton with a few changes of mine that allows you to use a spreadsheet just as you would use mine to import/export data and iterate over its contents.

I also commited a version of the CSV package, which I use to do the importing. However, I didn't remember to look at the license of the package before clicking commit and now that I did, I see it doesn't specify MIT, so I'll ask the author about it (please forgive me and remove the commit if it can be a problem).

Anyway, if you can please tell me what you think.

Cheers,
Richo

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > 2006 and it still works today. So maybe it won't be that big of an issue.
>> >
>> > Anyway, if you want to test it:
>> > http://www.languagegame.org:8080/ggame/11.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Richo
>>
>> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?
>
> My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files, but
> not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
> functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.
>

>> Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>
> I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for integrating
> Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of csv
> files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that

Re: About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and basic and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create.

I too like the fact that my spreadsheet it's really simple (although I don't really like my implementation) but if we are thinking of including a table like object, I'm pretty sure Skeleton is the right choice. The only disadvantage I can see is the lack of a scroll bar to manage big amounts of data. I'm thinking this could be solved with a ScrollPane object acting as a playfield where you could drop big objects and use the scrollbars to move around. I tried to do it today but I don't understand how the ScrollPane works exactly.

Couldn't the functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does Skeleton allow plots? If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to see them in etoys also.

I don't know if Skeletong allows plots, but as Karl said, it should be possible to build them with it. As for my graphs, IIRC there were a few technical issues preventing them to be included, but I'll see what I can do this weekend to fix them.

Cheers,
Richo

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and basic
>> and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create.
>
> I too like the fact that my spreadsheet it's really simple (although I don't
> really like my implementation) but if we are thinking of including a table
> like object, I'm pretty sure Skeleton is the right choice. The only
> disadvantage I can see is the lack of a scroll bar to manage big amounts of
> data. I'm thinking this could be solved with a ScrollPane object acting as a
> playfield where you could drop big objects and use the scrollbars to move
> around. I tried to do it today but I don't understand how the ScrollPane
> works exactly.
>

>> Couldn't the functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does
>> Skeleton allow plots? If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to
>> see them in etoys also.
>
> I don't know if Skeletong allows plots, but as Karl said, it should be
> possible to build them with it. As for my graphs, IIRC there were a few
> technical issues preventing them to be included, but I'll see what I can do
> this weekend to fix them.
> Cheers,
> Richo

Great you are starting to work on this :-)
I'll be checking it out too.
What did you change from the original code ?
I think we have to change the layout of the ticker clock in the
spreadsheet, because it now gets kind of cramped.

Karl

>> Randy
>>
>> Randall Caton
>> 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
>> Bigfork, MN 56628
>> 218-832-3490
>> http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?
>>
>> My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> but not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.
>>

>>> Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>>
>> I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> integrating Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want
>> the I/O of csv files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It
>> shouldn't be that difficult, I suppose.
>> Cheers,
>> Richo
>>

>>> - Bert -

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Karl Ramberg
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I uploaded to the inbox a version of Skeleton with a few changes of mine
> that allows you to use a spreadsheet just as you would use mine to
> import/export data and iterate over its contents.
> I also commited a version of the CSV package, which I use to do the
> importing. However, I didn't remember to look at the license of the package
> before clicking commit and now that I did, I see it doesn't specify MIT, so
> I'll ask the author about it (please forgive me and remove the commit if it
> can be a problem).
> Anyway, if you can please tell me what you think.
> Cheers,
> Richo

That is CSV Parser from SqueakSource right ?
I don't see a licence anywhere ...
Can you mail Avi Bryant and ask ?

Karl

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and
>> > basic
>> > and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create. Couldn't the
>> > functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does Skeleton allow
>> > plots?
>> > If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to see them in etoys
>> > also.
>> > Randy
>>
>> Hi
>> I think it is possible to make all these graphs out of skeleton.
>> From what I see is Skeleton a extension to the way we script and
>> visualize in Etoys,
>> It seems to have a thought out model.
>>

>> Only working with it and managing the code will tell if it something
>> we find useful and worth while.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> > Randall Caton
>> > 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
>> > Bigfork, MN 56628
>> > 218-832-3490
>> > http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> > Sent from my iPhone
>> > On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> > but
>> > not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> > functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

>> > I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> > integrating
>> > Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of
>> > csv
>> > files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that
>> > difficult, I suppose.
>> > Cheers,
>> > Richo

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:12 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and basic
>> and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create.
>
> I too like the fact that my spreadsheet it's really simple (although I don't
> really like my implementation) but if we are thinking of including a table
> like object, I'm pretty sure Skeleton is the right choice. The only
> disadvantage I can see is the lack of a scroll bar to manage big amounts of
> data. I'm thinking this could be solved with a ScrollPane object acting as a
> playfield where you could drop big objects and use the scrollbars to move
> around. I tried to do it today but I don't understand how the ScrollPane
> works exactly.
>

>> Couldn't the functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does
>> Skeleton allow plots? If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to
>> see them in etoys also.
>
> I don't know if Skeletong allows plots, but as Karl said, it should be
> possible to build them with it. As for my graphs, IIRC there were a few
> technical issues preventing them to be included, but I'll see what I can do
> this weekend to fix them.
> Cheers,
> Richo

Great you are starting to work on this :-)
I'll be checking it out too.
What did you change from the original code ?

I haven't changed the original code, I added things :). I added #width: and #height to SkSheetMorph, #additionsToViewerCategories and #initialize to SkSheetMorph class, and a bunch of extension methods to Player.

I think we have to change the layout of the ticker clock in the
spreadsheet, because it now gets kind of cramped.

Yes, I think that too. That's easy to fix in SkSheetMorph>>#showPageControls. I don't know where to move the sheet's name, though. I like the fact that it doesn't bother much where it is now.

Cheers,
Richo

Karl

>> Randy
>>
>> Randall Caton
>> 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
>> Bigfork, MN 56628
>> 218-832-3490
>> http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> How does it compare to the data table thing you did in your GSoC project?
>>
>> My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> but not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.
>>

>>> Would be nice to have only one, not two table-like objects.
>>
>> I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> integrating Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want
>> the I/O of csv files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It
>> shouldn't be that difficult, I suppose.
>> Cheers,
>> Richo
>>

>>> - Bert -

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I uploaded to the inbox a version of Skeleton with a few changes of mine
> that allows you to use a spreadsheet just as you would use mine to
> import/export data and iterate over its contents.
> I also commited a version of the CSV package, which I use to do the
> importing. However, I didn't remember to look at the license of the package
> before clicking commit and now that I did, I see it doesn't specify MIT, so
> I'll ask the author about it (please forgive me and remove the commit if it
> can be a problem).
> Anyway, if you can please tell me what you think.
> Cheers,
> Richo

That is CSV Parser from SqueakSource right ?
I don't see a licence anywhere ...
Can you mail Avi Bryant and ask ?

Yes, I did. I'm waiting for an answer now...

Richo

Karl

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Randy Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I like the spreadsheet that Ricardo created because it is simple and
>> > basic
>> > and allows I/O. It leaves more for learners to create. Couldn't the
>> > functions already in etoys be used in the cells? Does Skeleton allow
>> > plots?
>> > If so, then what about Ricardo's graphs? I'd like to see them in etoys
>> > also.
>> > Randy
>>
>> Hi
>> I think it is possible to make all these graphs out of skeleton.
>> From what I see is Skeleton a extension to the way we script and
>> visualize in Etoys,
>> It seems to have a thought out model.
>>

>> Only working with it and managing the code will tell if it something
>> we find useful and worth while.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> > Randall Caton
>> > 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
>> > Bigfork, MN 56628
>> > 218-832-3490
>> > http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> > Sent from my iPhone
>> > On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> > but
>> > not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> > functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

>> > I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> > integrating
>> > Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of
>> > csv
>> > files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that
>> > difficult, I suppose.
>> > Cheers,
>> > Richo

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran
Hi guys, I haven't received any response from Avi Bryant regarding the license of his csv parser, probably because I might have an old/incorrect mail. But anyway, it doesn't matter, because it's easy to write one. So I uploaded a new version of Skeleton with my little csv parser and I moved the CSV package to treated.

I think this version is good enough to be integrated in Etoys, what do you think?

Cheers,
Richo

P.S. I attached a simple project in order to help educators test it without going through Monticello :)

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> > Bigfork, MN 56628
>> > 218-832-3490
>> > http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> > Sent from my iPhone
>> > On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> > but
>> > not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> > functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

>> > I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> > integrating
>> > Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of
>> > csv
>> > files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that

Dancing stars.002.pr (121K) Download Attachment

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Karl Ramberg
This is looking great.
What we should do now is document it so it's easier to get a start using it.
Once we include it it should be a example project or two that explain
the use and features.

Karl

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys, I haven't received any response from Avi Bryant regarding the
> license of his csv parser, probably because I might have an old/incorrect
> mail. But anyway, it doesn't matter, because it's easy to write one. So I
> uploaded a new version of Skeleton with my little csv parser and I moved the
> CSV package to treated.
> I think this version is good enough to be integrated in Etoys, what do you
> think?
> Cheers,
> Richo
> P.S. I attached a simple project in order to help educators test it without
> going through Monticello :)
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 9:38 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> That is CSV Parser from SqueakSource right ?
>>> I don't see a licence anywhere ...
>>> Can you mail Avi Bryant and ask ?
>>
>> Yes, I did. I'm waiting for an answer now...
>> Richo
>>

>>> Karl

Re: [etoys-dev] About Skeleton

Randy Caton
Ricardo,

I looked at your project with skeleton and on the surface it is the same as what your wrote for GSoC. Either would be great with me. I couldn't evaluate which underlying code is better.

I would also like to see your chart, calendar and graphics IO objects included. Would it be possible for you to make a version of Etoys that has all those in it so we could test it on the XO?

Thank you for continuing your great work.

Randy

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > 41596 Bald Eagle Drive
>> > Bigfork, MN 56628
>> > http://www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton
>> > Sent from my iPhone
>> > On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]>
>> > wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > My data table serves the only purpose of importing/exporting CSV files,
>> > but
>> > not much else, whereas Skeleton is a proper spreadsheet, it supports
>> > functions, and is well integrated with etoys via drag and drop of tiles.

>> > I agree, but since my table is not integrated anyway, I vote for
>> > integrating
>> > Skeleton which is much better than what I did. And if we want the I/O of
>> > csv
>> > files, I could find the way of adapting Skeleton. It shouldn't be that

The views expressed in this email are my own
and not necessarily those of CNU.

Randall Caton
41596 Bald Eagle Drive
Bigfork, MN 56628
218-832-3490

email: [hidden email]
web: www.pcs.cnu.edu/~rcaton

Re: About Skeleton

Ricardo Moran
Hi, sorry for the delay.

I just came back from Montevideo for Ceibal Virtual Educa. It was a great event. And today before leaving to Buenos Aires we went to a school fair where children of 8 and 9 years old showed the work they did with the XOs. It was great! There were some animated short stories, kids making music, comics, animations, and a lot of presentations about different subjects. One kid showed me how to make a bar graph in Etoys. It was so cool! :)

I noticed, however, that most of the kids use Etoys merely as some sort of enhanced powerpoint but few of them actually see its potential for simulations and programming (they use Scratch or TurtleArt for that). I know that my sensation after seeing just a couple of students doesn't count as valid statistics, and I also know that there have been a lot of discussions about this in the list, but I can't help thinking something is wrong and I wanted to share it.

Anyway, coming back to the subject of this mail, regarding my changes of Skeleton: yes, I used the same code from GSoC except for the CSV parser which is now much better.

Regarding charts, calendar and graphics I/O: I will fix the number lines with the suggestions from you and steve and then I'll make a project with everything included. Or do you mean a whole new version of Etoys?

Cheers,
Richo

On Thursday, October 27, 2011, Randall Caton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ricardo,
>
> I looked at your project with skeleton and on the surface it is the same as what your wrote for GSoC. Either would be great with me. I couldn't evaluate which underlying code is better.

Exactly, I used the same code except for the CSV parser which is now much better.