Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

Is there a way for the Squeak image to detect the scaling factor applied
to screen display by Windows?

For example, my daughter's small laptop on Windows 10 has a default 150%
scaling applied to all applications. Squeak does not behave too well in
that regard, it looks real fuzzy.

Also, 'Display extent' when in full-screen returns the actual OS screen
resolution, ignoring the display factor. This means that my Saucers game
for example thinks it has more real estate than what is really
available, and thus does not compose itself correctly.

Re: Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

Stéphane Rollandin
> Is there a way for the Squeak image to detect the scaling factor applied
> to screen display by Windows?

In fact I realize now that what I would like is a way to have Squeak
*ignore* that scaling factor at the level of the display itself, and
simply be informed of the factor value so that we can, if we wish,
change the font sizes accordingly.

Re: Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

Tobias Pape
Hi

> On 08.10.2020, at 09:57, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way for the Squeak image to detect the scaling factor applied to screen display by Windows?
>
> For example, my daughter's small laptop on Windows 10 has a default 150% scaling applied to all applications. Squeak does not behave too well in that regard, it looks real fuzzy.
>
> Also, 'Display extent' when in full-screen returns the actual OS screen resolution, ignoring the display factor. This means that my Saucers game for example thinks it has more real estate than what is really available, and thus does not compose itself correctly.

There's an experimental vm branch:
        https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/krono/highdpi-v2
and some changesets that do this:
        http://forum.world.st/highdpi-testing-tp5122069p5122307.html

There's no pre-built vm at the moment, so if you need a VM please ask and someone can send you one :)

Note that this is all a bit untested, feel free to experiment around.

Best regards
        -Tobias

Re: Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

marcel.taeumel
Hi Stéphane.

Tobias is working on this:

The manual way works like this on windows:
1. Disable scaling for the Squeak application via .manifest and/or (?) manual override on squeak.exe.
2. In Squeak click on Extras > Themes & Colors > Set High-DPI Mode

Best,
Marcel

Am 08.10.2020 09:58:02 schrieb Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]>:

Hello,

Is there a way for the Squeak image to detect the scaling factor applied
to screen display by Windows?

For example, my daughter's small laptop on Windows 10 has a default 150%
scaling applied to all applications. Squeak does not behave too well in
that regard, it looks real fuzzy.

Also, 'Display extent' when in full-screen returns the actual OS screen
resolution, ignoring the display factor. This means that my Saucers game
for example thinks it has more real estate than what is really
available, and thus does not compose itself correctly.

Re: Accessing display scaling in Windows OSes

Stéphane Rollandin
> There's an experimental vm branch:
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/tree/krono/highdpi-v2
> and some changesets that do this:
> http://forum.world.st/highdpi-testing-tp5122069p5122307.html

Ah, ok, thanks. I never groked that this was what High-DPI is about :)

> There's no pre-built vm at the moment, so if you need a VM please ask and someone can send you one :)
>
> Note that this is all a bit untested, feel free to experiment around.

Well, then I am hereby formally and kindly asking for such a VM - I'll
sure do some experimenting.

Best,

Stef