Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search strings as symbols automatically.

I cannot confirm that. Does anybody else have this issue?

Bset,
Marcel

Re: Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

Tobias Pape

On 05.08.2016, at 08:53, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search
> strings as symbols automatically.
>
> I cannot confirm that. Does anybody else have this issue?

it may be the MessageFinder, right?
Or anybody sending #asSymbol …

> Bset,
> Marcel

Re: Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

marcel.taeumel
Tobias Pape wrote
On 05.08.2016, at 08:53, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search
> strings as symbols automatically.
>
> I cannot confirm that. Does anybody else have this issue?

it may be the MessageFinder, right?
Or anybody sending #asSymbol …

> Bset,
> Marcel
Could not find any suspicious code...

Re: Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

timrowledge

> On 05-08-2016, at 1:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 05.08.2016, at 08:53, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, there.
>>
>> In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search
>> strings as symbols automatically.

As a quick test
open an image (my example is a #16174 update)
use search bar to lookup ‘fooble’
‘fooble’ appears in the message finder list
in a workspace
Symbol lookup: ‘fooble’ -> #fooble
Symbol allSymbols includes: ‘fooble’ -> true

I’m pretty sure it’s SearchBar>>smartSearch:in: causing this since it uses ‘input asSymbol’ about halfway down. Not sure of the cleanest way to avoid this though. Maybe it would be best to see if the input is a symbol first? Or, better yet IMO, simply drop that entire clause since searching for something I think starts with ‘blorp’ and annoyingly finding there is also an exact match for ‘blorp’ when a message list opens is… annoying. Much nicer to get the usual search thingy.

Err, wait a minute; that method looks royally messed up. Can anyone see how the last four lines might ever get executed?

tim

Re: Accidential interning of symbols via the world's search bar? Not here...

marcel.taeumel
tim Rowledge wrote
> On 05-08-2016, at 1:09 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 05.08.2016, at 08:53, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi, there.
>>
>> In the last board meeting, Tim reported that our search bar interns search
>> strings as symbols automatically.

As a quick test
open an image (my example is a #16174 update)
use search bar to lookup ‘fooble’
‘fooble’ appears in the message finder list
in a workspace
Symbol lookup: ‘fooble’ -> #fooble
Symbol allSymbols includes: ‘fooble’ -> true

I’m pretty sure it’s SearchBar>>smartSearch:in: causing this since it uses ‘input asSymbol’ about halfway down. Not sure of the cleanest way to avoid this though. Maybe it would be best to see if the input is a symbol first? Or, better yet IMO, simply drop that entire clause since searching for something I think starts with ‘blorp’ and annoyingly finding there is also an exact match for ‘blorp’ when a message list opens is… annoying. Much nicer to get the usual search thingy.

Err, wait a minute; that method looks royally messed up. Can anyone see how the last four lines might ever get executed?

tim
Hi Tim,

I think I copied most of that over from the former SearchBarMorph. Yeah, that #asSymbol is wrong. And the last 4 lines are dead code.

Best,
Marcel