Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

timrowledge
I’d like to out a zip of a (hopefully) useful release of NuScratch in a suitable place; ftp.squeak.org seems a plausible option. So far as I can see I don't have any write permissions there (and probably shouldn’t have) so hints as to how to achieve this, or indeed suggestions for other good servers to use, would be welcomed.

tim
Strange OpCodes: L: Lie!

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 04:48:40PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> I???d like to out a zip of a (hopefully) useful release of NuScratch in a suitable place; ftp.squeak.org seems a plausible option. So far as I can see I don't have any write permissions there (and probably shouldn???t have) so hints as to how to achieve this, or indeed suggestions for other good servers to use, would be welcomed.

I think we are calling it files.squeak.org rather than ftp.squeak.org now.

If you can provide a reference version of NuScratch in a zip, then I think
it would be great to put it on files.squeak.org. Hopefully we will also see
ongoing development of NuScratch, in which case files.squeak.org might not
be the best place to host the ongoing distributions. But the current version
of NuScratch is a significant piece of work, and it would be good to have
a reference copy that can be easily found on files.squeak.org.

So +1 from me.

Dave

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

timrowledge
Who has the keys to files.squeak.org? Somebody must have the ability to write there...

tim
Strange OpCodes: MFC: Mangle Following Command

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Tobias Pape

> On 23.08.2017, at 19:25, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Who has the keys to files.squeak.org? Somebody must have the ability to write there...

The web team.
And me. I have the keys to everywhere… o.O

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: MFC: Mangle Following Command

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Chris Muller-3
SqueakMap is the easiest and most universal place for users to consume
Squeak software, and can host for your files under your own account as well.

MaSarPackage (on SqueakMap) can be used to easily script the building
of a .SAR file deployable on SqueakMap for single-click installation.

MaSarPackageWithGui adds a drag-and-drop UI (Maui based).

Instructions for using it can be found here:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6155

I actually made a new release of it last December which I need to
release, but the old one does work in the image its designated for.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:25 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Who has the keys to files.squeak.org? Somebody must have the ability to write there...
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: MFC: Mangle Following Command

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

timrowledge

> On 23-08-2017, at 3:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> SqueakMap is the easiest and most universal place for users to consume
> Squeak software, and can host for your files under your own account as well.

Well sure, but an entire image & library of media/project/help files at 40Mb? It’s not source code to load into an image. If SM can handle that sort of thing it’s
a) news to me
b) interesting

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 1) "Behold, the keyboard of Kalis!  The greatest Klingon code warrior that ever lived!"

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

timrowledge

> On 23-08-2017, at 11:33 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 23.08.2017, at 19:25, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Who has the keys to files.squeak.org? Somebody must have the ability to write there...
>>

> The web team.
> And me. I have the keys to everywhere… o.O

Oh, so you’re the one that picked them up. I used to have keys to almost everywhere… it was fun getting into purportedly secure places.

So, how can I - if it seems a sensible thing to do - get NuScratch up on files.squeak.org?

tim
You never finish a program, you just stop working on it.

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Chris Muller-4
Ah, forgot it was it's own dedicated image.

Right, SM isn't designed to host whole image files, only code and
external resources intended to be loaded into one's own running image.

Which seems like a good idea anyway for Scratch, if it were easy to
do.  Some of the potential integrations with the IDE could be
fantastic.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 6:30 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 23-08-2017, at 3:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> SqueakMap is the easiest and most universal place for users to consume
>> Squeak software, and can host for your files under your own account as well.
>
> Well sure, but an entire image & library of media/project/help files at 40Mb? It’s not source code to load into an image. If SM can handle that sort of thing it’s
> a) news to me
> b) interesting
>

> tim
> Klingon Code Warrior:- 1) "Behold, the keyboard of Kalis!  The greatest Klingon code warrior that ever lived!"

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Hannes Hirzel
On 8/24/17, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah, forgot it was it's own dedicated image.
>
> Right, SM isn't designed to host whole image files, only code and
> external resources intended to be loaded into one's own running image.
>
> Which seems like a good idea anyway for Scratch, if it were easy to
> do.  Some of the potential integrations with the IDE could be
> fantastic.

Both would be good to have
a) a ready to go NuScratch image for download
b) an updated SqueakMap entry which pulls in the latest NuScratch code.

Tim, on which Squeak version is your NuSCratch zip
- 5.1
- 6.0a
?

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 6:30 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 23-08-2017, at 3:55 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> SqueakMap is the easiest and most universal place for users to consume
>>> Squeak software, and can host for your files under your own account as
>>> well.
>>
>> Well sure, but an entire image & library of media/project/help files at
>> 40Mb? It’s not source code to load into an image. If SM can handle that
>> sort of thing it’s
>> a) news to me
>> b) interesting
>>

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Klingon Code Warrior:- 1) "Behold, the keyboard of Kalis!  The greatest
>> Klingon code warrior that ever lived!"

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Hannes Hirzel
In terms of SqueakMap two entries would be fine

- 5.1
- 6.0a

Then it is easy to pull in whatever you need.

And there could be two NuScratch.zip

One for
- 5.1
- 6.0a

On 8/24/17, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/24/17, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ah, forgot it was it's own dedicated image.
>>
>> Right, SM isn't designed to host whole image files, only code and
>> external resources intended to be loaded into one's own running image.
>>
>> Which seems like a good idea anyway for Scratch, if it were easy to
>> do.  Some of the potential integrations with the IDE could be
>> fantastic.
>
> Both would be good to have
> a) a ready to go NuScratch image for download
> b) an updated SqueakMap entry which pulls in the latest NuScratch code.
>
> Tim, on which Squeak version is your NuSCratch zip
> - 5.1
> - 6.0a
> ?

>>> Well sure, but an entire image & library of media/project/help files at
>>> 40Mb? It’s not source code to load into an image. If SM can handle that
>>> sort of thing it’s
>>> a) news to me
>>> b) interesting
>>>

>>> tim
>>> --
>>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>>> Klingon Code Warrior:- 1) "Behold, the keyboard of Kalis!  The greatest
>>> Klingon code warrior that ever lived!"

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

Hannes Hirzel
@Chris

There is not yet a SqueakMap tag for version 6.0a

HH

SqueakMap_Squeak_versions_tags_Screenshot_2017-08-24.png (27K) Download Attachment

Re: Adding a NuSCratch zip to ftp.squeak.org or similar

timrowledge

> On 24-08-2017, at 3:03 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> a) a ready to go NuScratch image for download
> b) an updated SqueakMap entry which pulls in the latest NuScratch code.

It’s on SM as of February, tagged for 5.1. If you load NuScratch it seems to work ok in both 5.0 & .1.
You can also load NuScratchGPIO (only really makes much sense on a Pi, though strictly speaking.. .see later) and that will also load the base NuScratch. Or should, anyway. And that should load up the Pi Hardware driver stuff.

> Tim, on which Squeak version is your NuSCratch zip
> - 5.1

The zip is a 5.1 based release. And if I ever get to upload it somewhere sensible you can all test it out. And if we ever get to work out how come I can’t even request the webteam to pull my update to _projects/scratch.md then we might have a convenient link to it from squeak.org.

> - 6.0a
Latest code from SqueakSource appears fine on 6.x too.

Now, that ‘see later’ - the GPIO stuff is done via pigpiod, a socket based interface. So it’s quite possible to run the pigpio interface library on any platform that it will compile on (not tried anything other than Pi myself, look at http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/pigpiod.html
to find out more) and the daemon on a Pi somewhere remote and control stuff at a distance. This would be a good way to use a Pi 0W as a $10 head end and run the complex stuff on a more powerful machine elsewhere.

tim
Oxymorons: Religious tolerance