Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Danil Osipchuk-2

Hello

In my spare time I'm trying to bring CurlPlugin up to date and to make
it easier to install. There are also several pending feature requests
from users.

CurlPlugin has several dependencies (libssl, ssh etc) and to make a
working infrastructure for it is not very fun (especially when time
has passed since last build).

Could vm-builders please consider to add platform specific files into
the trunk to ease the maintainence of this thing?
 At a moment I have a working setup for windows
(.\platforms\win32\plugins\CurlPlugin ) which I can email right now
and I also plan to add linux setup. I've noticed that John has already
added necessary files into the tree for mac os.

regards, Danil

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Andreas.Raab

Please don't email it but put a zip file someplace where I can look at
it. If it builds and runs I'm open to adding it to the source tree.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

danil osipchuk wrote:

> Hello
>
> In my spare time I'm trying to bring CurlPlugin up to date and to make
> it easier to install. There are also several pending feature requests
> from users.
>
> CurlPlugin has several dependencies (libssl, ssh etc) and to make a
> working infrastructure for it is not very fun (especially when time
> has passed since last build).
>
> Could vm-builders please consider to add platform specific files into
> the trunk to ease the maintainence of this thing?
>  At a moment I have a working setup for windows
> (.\platforms\win32\plugins\CurlPlugin ) which I can email right now
> and I also plan to add linux setup. I've noticed that John has already
> added necessary files into the tree for mac os.
>
> regards, Danil

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Hockenberry
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Göran Krampe

Hi!

Just wanted to mention that the current CouchDB API at Squeaksource uses
the Curlplugin to talk to Couch (it talks HTTP) so the CurlPlugin is
suddenly *very* important to me and to all those that will rush over to
play with it the next 2 years :)

I am also thinking of moving Gjallar over to CouchDB.

regards, Göran

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Andreas.Raab

I'm still waiting to hear back from Danil after my last message. It
would be helpful if someone could prepare a zip to look at so that we
can see how much modifications are required and how to integrate the
plugin into the build.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just wanted to mention that the current CouchDB API at Squeaksource uses
> the Curlplugin to talk to Couch (it talks HTTP) so the CurlPlugin is
> suddenly *very* important to me and to all those that will rush over to
> play with it the next 2 years :)
>
> I am also thinking of moving Gjallar over to CouchDB.
>
> regards, Göran

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Philippe Marschall

2009/6/28 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>:

> Hi!
>
> Just wanted to mention that the current CouchDB API at Squeaksource uses the
> Curlplugin to talk to Couch (it talks HTTP) so the CurlPlugin is suddenly
> *very* important to me and to all those that will rush over to play with it
> the next 2 years :)

There's also an HTTPS Monticello connector that uses the CurlPlugin
and doesn't send your password in plaintext over the internet :-)

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Adding curlplugin source into the source tree

Danil Osipchuk-2

Hello Andreas and everybody interested,
I know I doesn't look very responsive but I try to move forward anyway :)
This time it was just a small vacation in country side which stopped
me from answering quickly.
I'm documenting the process to compile the plugin on the wiki page:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6138 .

I took the general approach and Makerfile from the FTPlugin - it is
similar to CurlPlugin in a sense of a having external dependency.

Win32 specific code contains link-time libs and headers of the libcurl
and its friends.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/6138/CurlPluginPlatformsWin32Plugins.zip
This is  what I'm suggesting to add to the svn.

Basically you need to:
1) put dll's* from curl distribution into squeak-vm dir
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/curl-7.19.5-devel-mingw32.zip
2) Unpack win32 platform specific plugin files
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/6138/CurlPluginPlatformsWin32Plugins.zip
 into platform/win32/plugins. This should result in CurlPlugin right
under plugins folder.
3) Get the latest CurlPlugin source from
http://www.squeaksource.com/CurlPlugin.html

Generate it as external plugin and this should be enough to compile it.

So to integrate  the plugin into vm source (as I see it) should be as
simple as getting platform specific code into the trunk and
(optionally) adding some stable version of CurlPlugin to the stock
VMMaker. I'm not sure how to do it best way so please help here.

regards,
 Danil