Aida on Gemstone

12

Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Does anyone "have" *the* Gemstone port of Aida?

Monty Williams was pretty sure that a port was available and we talked about getting that up and running on the GLASS appliance!  I have GLASS up and running (short of a static ip address!), and wanted to start giving it a shot.

The next step would then be to get something up on the GLASS website with Monty's help, which we also talked about doing last week!

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Does anyone "have" *the* Gemstone port of Aida?

Yep. It is actually published on their GemSource:

     http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2.html
     http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html

But simplest would be just to download Aida "overlay" over the base
GLASS installation:

    ftp://ftp.aidaweb.si/aida/aida-overlay.zip

So, first you need to make an original GLASS working, then you install
Aida over it. By "overlaying" or simply by installing over it. Maybe
you'll need to remove existing Swazoo and Hyper first, then install
Swazoo2, then Aida.

Well, this is from my not very reliable memory, but I think it will be
good for start.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> The next step would then be to get something up on the GLASS website
> with Monty's help, which we also talked about doing last week!

That would be perfect! An Aida GLASS section on Gemstone website, we
need to have that as soon as possible!

Thanks Rob for starting on that task.
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Thanks...I'll give this a try.  Just so you know, I am definitely planning on using the GLASS appliance for an actual application, so I should be able to "deliver" on this promise!

As it is, I get excited about a lot of things and am slow to deliver...I still owe you all Radio Buttons and more documentation...

Anyway, I will make this work and put a "recipe" together.

I'm not sure what an "overlay" is, but I'll figure it out!

Thank you!

Rob

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rob,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:

The next step would then be to get something up on the GLASS website with Monty's help, which we also talked about doing last week!

That would be perfect! An Aida GLASS section on Gemstone website, we need to have that as soon as possible!

Thanks Rob for starting on that task.

Monty and I had some good conversation around this; I'll get with him once I get Aida up and running!

And...you're most welcome.  I want to be able to help.

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Monty Williams
Hi Rob,

I'm not sure it's Janko's latest Aida code, though. However, it is the latest that's been ported to GemStone.

-- Monty

Monty Williams wrote:

> It's on http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida/
>
> I'm not sure it's Janko's latest Aida code, though. However, it is the
> latest that's been ported to GemStone.

It is the 5.6, but working on Swazoo 2.1 port. It is from February when
I last worked on GLASS port. But I didn't find time to try it on the
latest GLASS beta. There could be some problems, but I don't expect bigger.

We need to find some time and sync latest Aida, which has now separate
branches on Squeak and on VW. First sync needs to therefore be between
Squeak and VW, then with GLASS. This will then be a base for sync of
Scribo and port it to GLASS at the end.

JAnko

I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I tried SwazooAida demoStart.

SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach the default "Hello World" page...

I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is continually restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!

Rob

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I tried
> SwazooAida demoStart.

It is normal that it blocks, because now you are running something on
GS, not Squeak. Just do Ctrl . to break the execution.

> SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach the default
> "Hello World" page...

Note also that Aida don't work behind Apache but directly on port 8888.
It could be that this is not accessible outside the appliance.

> I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is continually
> restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!

Hmm, I cannot run appliance on my machine but I installed GLASS
directly. What if you try to open the page inside the appliance? Check
with wget command if it is present.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Ok...I:

1.  Used the GS Monticello Browser to unload the existing Swazoo package in the appliance.
2.  Loaded Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9
3.  Loaded Aida-5.6-jm.11
4. Executed SwazooAida demoStart.
5. Pressed Alt-., Interrupt Gemstone
6. Tried to connect.
7. Executed SwazooAida demoStart again!  (Did not block)
8. Tried to connect.
9.  Inspected SwazooServer singleton sites.  Only one site, 'aidademo' is showing as enabled and serving
10.  Tried wget http://localhost:8888 within the appliance, which "connected" but just hung.
11.  Repeated the above following a SwazooServer startOn: 9999 with the same results.

I'm a little out of my league, but am willing to try anything!

Rob

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I tried
> SwazooAida demoStart.

It is normal that it blocks, because now you are running something on
GS, not Squeak. Just do Ctrl . to break the execution.

> SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach the default
> "Hello World" page...

Note also that Aida don't work behind Apache but directly on port 8888.
It could be that this is not accessible outside the appliance.

> I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is continually
> restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!

Hmm, I cannot run appliance on my machine but I installed GLASS
directly. What if you try to open the page inside the appliance? Check
with wget command if it is present.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
I have validated that the Aida demo site is indeed on port 8888 with (SwazooServer singleton sites at: 1) port.

Where would be a good place to start "probing the system" to see if I am even getting any requests?

I'd turn of seaside and shut down Apache, but I am pretty sure I would lose my interface to the GLASS appliance that way!

Rob

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I tried
> SwazooAida demoStart.

It is normal that it blocks, because now you are running something on
GS, not Squeak. Just do Ctrl . to break the execution.

> SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach the default
> "Hello World" page...

Note also that Aida don't work behind Apache but directly on port 8888.
It could be that this is not accessible outside the appliance.

> I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is continually
> restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!

Hmm, I cannot run appliance on my machine but I installed GLASS
directly. What if you try to open the page inside the appliance? Check
with wget command if it is present.

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Rob, I'm trying to start my Gemstone here to help. Or even better,
install latest GLASS beta and follow your steps. This will take for a
while ..

Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> I have validated that the Aida demo site is indeed on port 8888
> with (SwazooServer singleton sites at: 1) port.
>
> Where would be a good place to start "probing the system" to see if I am
> even getting any requests?
>
> I'd turn of seaside and shut down Apache, but I am pretty sure I would
> lose my interface to the GLASS appliance that way!
>
> Rob
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Ok...I:
>
>     1.  Used the GS Monticello Browser to unload the existing Swazoo
>     package in the appliance.
>     2.  Loaded Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9
>     3.  Loaded Aida-5.6-jm.11
>     4. Executed SwazooAida demoStart.
>     5. Pressed Alt-., Interrupt Gemstone
>     6. Tried to connect.
>     7. Executed SwazooAida demoStart again!  (Did not block)
>     8. Tried to connect.
>     9.  Inspected SwazooServer singleton sites.  Only one site,
>     'aidademo' is showing as enabled and serving
>     10.  Tried wget http://localhost:8888 within the appliance, which
>     "connected" but just hung.
>     11.  Repeated the above following a SwazooServer startOn: 9999 with
>     the same results.
>
>     I'm a little out of my league, but am willing to try anything!
>
>     Rob
>

>     On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Janko Mivšek
>
>         Rob Rothwell wrote:
>
>          > I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I
>         tried
>          > SwazooAida demoStart.
>
>         It is normal that it blocks, because now you are running
>         something on
>         GS, not Squeak. Just do Ctrl . to break the execution.
>
>          > SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach
>         the default
>          > "Hello World" page...
>
>         Note also that Aida don't work behind Apache but directly on
>         port 8888.
>         It could be that this is not accessible outside the appliance.
>
>          > I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is
>         continually
>          > restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!
>
>         Hmm, I cannot run appliance on my machine but I installed GLASS
>         directly. What if you try to open the page inside the appliance?
>         Check
>         with wget command if it is present.
>
>         JAnko
>

>         --
>         Janko Mivšek
>         AIDA/Web
>         Smalltalk Web Application Server
>         http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
I can help with the GLASS beta install if you need it.  Some tips:

1.  Make sure your ROM BIOS can enable Virtualization Technology.  Without that, your just stuck!  Getting a computer that would let us do that kept us from working on this a long time ago!

2.  Use the VMWare Server, not the player.  You have more options for configuring your Virtual Machine.

3.  The first time you start the appliance, it will likely fail.  The application that should start has a menu option "GLASS Appliance->Restart GLASS System" that seems to take care of this.

4.  If you want to connect to the appliance from another machine on the network, you have to set the VM Ethernet device to "Bridged" BEFORE you run the appliance.

5.  Once you do this, you should be able to open a browser from any computer on the network and go to http://bridged_ip_address and see the Gemstone web page being served from the appliance.  The ip address should be displayed in the lower right of the browser running in the appliance.

6.  If you run the GemTools Squeak image from another computer, you need to use the following settings for the Gem in the GemSton/S Login window:

Stone:  keep this as glass and seaside
User ID and password:  leave as default
Gem:  !tcp@ should be the "bridged" ip address.  #netldi should be 50377 (but I don't know why!)  This is probably the ONE thing you might not be able to figure out, but then again, maybe you could!

I would recommend the "Bridged" approach if you are putting this on a server because working in the appliance while remoted in to a server is just SLOW!  If you are going to run it locally on a laptop or PC, I think you can just leave the settings alone, which is what James was doing during his demo.

Let me know if I can help,

Rob

       Rob Rothwell wrote:

        > I tried to get it working last night, but it just hung when I
       tried
        > SwazooAida demoStart.

       It is normal that it blocks, because now you are running
       something on
       GS, not Squeak. Just do Ctrl . to break the execution.

        > SwazooServer start didn't die, but I couldn't seem to reach
       the default
        > "Hello World" page...

       Note also that Aida don't work behind Apache but directly on
       port 8888.
       It could be that this is not accessible outside the appliance.

        > I'm going to try again today.  The only painful part is
       continually
        > restarting the VMWare appliance when I mess it all up!

       Hmm, I cannot run appliance on my machine but I installed GLASS
       directly. What if you try to open the page inside the appliance?
       Check
       with wget command if it is present.

       JAnko

       --
       Janko Mivšek
       AIDA/Web
       Smalltalk Web Application Server
       http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Rob,

Thanks for instructions, but my PC has too old 64bit CPU to run 64bit
appliances, therefore I need to have the classical GS64 install. Maybe
is not bad idea for you to install GLASS directly, so that we will have
more similar situation. Do you run on Linux or Mac?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

I just managed to run Aida on latest GLASS beta, doing this steps:

1. download GemStone/S 2.3 Beta1 Web Edition for Linux
    from http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
2. install following instructions:
    http://seaside.gemstone.com/userguide.html#Linux-installation
3. run then stop Seaside to check if installation was successful:
    http://seaside.gemstone.com/userguide.html#starting-gemstone

4. download and unpack somewhere GemTools Squeak image:
    curl -O http://seaside.gemstone.com/squeak/GemTools.zip
5. start GemTools image: ./GemTools.sh in certain subdir
6. login

7. in Gemstone Workspace open Monticello
8. unload packages Swazoo and Hyper
9. add repositories:
    http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2.html
    http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html
10.open both and load latest Swazoo2.1, then Aida 5.6

11.SwazooAida demoStart
12 open http://localhost:8888

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Ok...now I have to try this!

Don't you think it would be nice to publish an appliance along the lines of your Gemstone Linux Aida Swazoo Server?  (that got a laugh, by the way).

I do!

Rob

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
I forgot to say that we don't have a Linux machine to run this on, so I will be working in a VMWare appliance as soon as I find one!

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> I forgot to say that we don't have a Linux machine to run this on, so I
> will be working in a VMWare appliance as soon as I find one!

But you have VMware, so you just need to install a Linux on it. To use
GLASS in production you'll need the knowledge how to install it sooner
or later.

JAnko

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Ok...now I have to try this!
>
> Don't you think it would be nice to publish an appliance along the lines
> of your Gemstone Linux Aida Swazoo Server?  (that got a laugh, by the way).

Yep, it is planned. And because you have the hardware, maybe you can
help here. That is, to prepare and test such an appliance.

GLASS as GL Aida Swazoo Smalltalk or Server? As Smalltalk was the first
idea :)

Janko

> [...]
>      >>         appliance?
>      >>                Check
>      >>                with wget command if it is present.
>      >>
>      >>                JAnko
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>
>      >>                --
>      >>                Janko Mivšek
>      >>                AIDA/Web
>      >>                Smalltalk Web Application Server
>      >>                http://www.aidaweb.si
>      >>                _______________________________________________
>      >>                Aida mailing list
>      >>                [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      >>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>>

I'm working on it now, but I'm starting out with a pre-built Ubuntu image...!

Rob

   <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

    >>     Rob, I'm trying to start my Gemstone here to help. Or even
   better,
    >>     install latest GLASS beta and follow your steps. This will
   take for
    >>     a while ..
    >>
    >>     Janko
    >>
    >>
    >>     Rob Rothwell wrote:
    >>
    >>         I have validated that the Aida demo site is indeed on
   port 8888
    >>         with (SwazooServer singleton sites at: 1) port.
    >>
    >>         Where would be a good place to start "probing the
   system" to see
    >>         if I am even getting any requests?
    >>         I'd turn of seaside and shut down Apache, but I am
   pretty sure I
    >>         would lose my interface to the GLASS appliance that way!
    >>
    >>         Rob
    >>
    >>         On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Rob Rothwell
    >>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
   <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
    >>         <mailto:[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]>>>>
    >>         wrote:
    >>
    >>            Ok...I:
    >>
    >>            1.  Used the GS Monticello Browser to unload the
   existing Swazoo
    >>            package in the appliance.
    >>            2.  Loaded Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9
    >>            3.  Loaded Aida-5.6-jm.11
    >>            4. Executed SwazooAida demoStart.
    >>            5. Pressed Alt-., Interrupt Gemstone
    >>            6. Tried to connect.
    >>            7. Executed SwazooAida demoStart again!  (Did not block)
    >>            8. Tried to connect.
    >>            9.  Inspected SwazooServer singleton sites.  Only one
   site,
    >>            'aidademo' is showing as enabled and serving
    >>            10.  Tried wget http://localhost:8888 within the
   appliance, which
    >>            "connected" but just hung.
    >>            11.  Repeated the above following a SwazooServer startOn:
    >>         9999 with
    >>            the same results.
    >>
    >>            I'm a little out of my league, but am willing to try
   anything!

    >>            Rob
    >>
    >>
    >>            On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Janko Mivšek
    >>            <[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]>>
    >>         <mailto:[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]>