Aida on Gemstone

12

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:
Ok...now I have to try this!

Don't you think it would be nice to publish an appliance along the lines of your Gemstone Linux Aida Swazoo Server?  (that got a laugh, by the way).

Yep, it is planned. And because you have the hardware, maybe you can help here. That is, to prepare and test such an appliance.

I would be happy to do so since I will be doing it anyway!

GLASS as GL Aida Swazoo Smalltalk or Server? As Smalltalk was the first idea :)

Hmmm...I was quoting from memory, but now I'm not sure.  Is "Server" implied with Swazoo?  Your "Smalltalk all the way down" idea is probably important to convey as well...

Rob

Swazoo on AIDA 5.4

BrunoBB
Janko,

Is Swazoo version 2.1 shipped with AIDA 5.4?

I have restarted the port of AIDA 5.4 to Dolphin, but I do not know what
version of Swazoo is with AIDA 5.4.

Regards,
Bruno

Checked by AVG.
4:13 PM

Re: Swazoo on AIDA 5.4

Janko Mivšek
Hi Bruno,

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco wrote:

> Is Swazoo version 2.1 shipped with AIDA 5.4?

It is already Swazoo 2.0, yes, and it should work on 2.1 without problems.

> I have restarted the port of AIDA 5.4 to Dolphin, but I do not know what
> version of Swazoo is with AIDA 5.4.

Very nice, thanks! Why wouldn't you port latest 5.6 instead? Also Swazoo
2.1 (even 2.0) needs to be ported first and I'm not sure if Esteban did
something on that port already.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Rob Rothwell wrote:
Ok...now I have to try this!

Don't you think it would be nice to publish an appliance along the lines of your Gemstone Linux Aida Swazoo Server?  (that got a laugh, by the way).

Yep, it is planned. And because you have the hardware, maybe you can help here. That is, to prepare and test such an appliance.

I have a bare Ubuntu 8.04 server Virtual machine running and am in the process of trying to follow the directions!

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rob,

I just managed to run Aida on latest GLASS beta, doing this steps:

1. download GemStone/S 2.3 Beta1 Web Edition for Linux
   from http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
2. install following instructions:
   http://seaside.gemstone.com/userguide.html#Linux-installation
3. run then stop Seaside to check if installation was successful:
   http://seaside.gemstone.com/userguide.html#starting-gemstone

4. download and unpack somewhere GemTools Squeak image:
   curl -O http://seaside.gemstone.com/squeak/GemTools.zip
5. start GemTools image: ./GemTools.sh in certain subdir
6. login

7. in Gemstone Workspace open Monticello
8. unload packages Swazoo and Hyper
9. add repositories:
   http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2.html
   http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html
10.open both and load latest Swazoo2.1, then Aida 5.6

11.SwazooAida demoStart
12 open http://localhost:8888

Just checking that in your installation Apache is NOT running, correct?  Which means that you would only be able to log in to Gemstone directly from your Linux machine, not remotely?

I am behind due to Linux inadequacies!

I have tried modifying the shipped appliance by running Squeak in the appliance and turning off Apache, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Ah well...eventually!

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Just checking that in your installation Apache is NOT running, correct?

Not running, not needed, right. Swazoo is there to serve everything.

>  Which means that you would only be able to log in to Gemstone directly
> from your Linux machine, not remotely?

You need just to change AIDASite host:ip:port: settings, as you'd do on
  the Squeak or VW Aida:

(AIDASite named: 'aidademo')
        host: 'www.mysite.org' ip: 'publicip.ofmymachine.org' port: 8888

For port 80 you need to run GLASS as root on Linux.

> I am behind due to Linux inadequacies!
>
> I have tried modifying the shipped appliance by running Squeak in the
> appliance and turning off Apache, but that doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Ah well...eventually!

Good luck!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Swazoo port to Dolphin

BrunoBB
Janko,

Site new

Answer aSite with the collection <uriPattern> with aSiteIdentifier with all
instVar with nil. So, it fails when:

Stack:
SiteIdentifier>>printHostPortStringOn: stream
SiteIdentifier>>printUrlOn: aWriteStream
Site>>printUrlOn: aWriteStream

Code:
SiteIdentifier
printHostPortStringOn: stream
        stream nextPutAll: self host.
        self port = 80 ifFalse: [stream nextPut: $:; nextPutAll: self port
printString]

" Here's the problem "
self host --> is nil,

Is this a bug in or the problem is in CompositeResourceTest>>testCurrentUrl
test ?

Regards,
Bruno

> Is Swazoo version 2.1 shipped with AIDA 5.4?

It is already Swazoo 2.0, yes, and it should work on 2.1 without problems.

> I have restarted the port of AIDA 5.4 to Dolphin, but I do not know what
> version of Swazoo is with AIDA 5.4.

Very nice, thanks! Why wouldn't you port latest 5.6 instead? Also Swazoo
2.1 (even 2.0) needs to be ported first and I'm not sure if Esteban did
something on that port already.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si
11:20 AM

Checked by AVG.
11:20 AM

Re: Swazoo port to Dolphin

Janko Mivšek
Bruno,

Are you sure that you are porting 2.1 and not some older version? Squeak
and VW Swazoo 2.1 tests namely all pass.

Do you have this method too:

SiteIdentifier>>printString

   ^'a Swazoo.SiteIndentifier
       host: ', (self host isNil ifTrue: [''] ifFalse: [self host]), '
       ip: ', (self ip isNil ifTrue: [''] ifFalse: [self ip]), '
       port: ', self port printString

Just in case I also changed:

SiteIdentifie>>printHostPortStringOn: stream

   stream nextPutAll:
      (self host notNil ifTrue: [self host] ifFalse: ['']).
   self port = 80 ifFalse:
      [stream nextPut: $:; nextPutAll: self port printString]

I hope this helps a bit.

Janko

Bruno Buzzi Brassesco wrote:
 > Janko,
 >
 > Site new
 >
 > Answer aSite with the collection <uriPattern> with aSiteIdentifier
with all
 > instVar with nil. So, it fails when:
 >
 > Stack:
 > SiteIdentifier>>printHostPortStringOn: stream
 > SiteIdentifier>>printUrlOn: aWriteStream
 > Site>>printUrlOn: aWriteStream
 >
 > Code:
 > SiteIdentifier
 > printHostPortStringOn: stream
 > stream nextPutAll: self host.
 > self port = 80 ifFalse: [stream nextPut: $:; nextPutAll: self port
 > printString]
 >
 > " Here's the problem "
 > self host --> is nil,
 >
 > Is this a bug in or the problem is in
CompositeResourceTest>>testCurrentUrl
 > test ?
 >
 > Regards,
 > Bruno

Behalf Of

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Just checking that in your installation Apache is NOT running, correct?

Not running, not needed, right. Swazoo is there to serve everything.

>  Which means that you would only be able to log in to Gemstone directly
> from your Linux machine, not remotely?

You need just to change AIDASite host:ip:port: settings, as you'd do on
 the Squeak or VW Aida:

(AIDASite named: 'aidademo')
       host: 'www.mysite.org' ip: 'publicip.ofmymachine.org' port: 8888

For port 80 you need to run GLASS as root on Linux.

> I am behind due to Linux inadequacies!
>
> I have tried modifying the shipped appliance by running Squeak in the
> appliance and turning off Apache, but that doesn't seem to work either.
>
> Ah well...eventually!

Ok...I have an ubuntu 7.10 64 bit VMWare server successfully running the GemStone/S Web Edition, version 2.3.0beta1.

I can run Seaside from another computer, but not from the server itself--I'm sure this is some networking thing I don't understand.

I have GemTools on another computer, and have added:

gs64ldi     50377/tcp

to my /etc/services file, and restarted networking with:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and even rebooted, but when I try to login from a remote machine, I get:

The given Stone Repository monitor cannot be reached:
, NetLDI service 'gs64ldi' not found on node 'glass':
 The gethostbyname() call failed for host 'glass' failed with h_errno = 1, HOST_NOT_FOUND, Authoritive Answer Host not found

Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.

Just wondering if you had run into this and had any ideas?

Meanwhile, I can't quite even run the GemTools image from within ubuntu from the command line!

But...almost there...I'd like to get an Aida based Virtual Machine that people could play with!

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

Good test that you Gemstone install is actually working is command line
utility topaz. If you can login with topaz locally, then you are on
right path. Try first just with topaz, then with topaz -l.

Also don't forget to actually start GS:

        startnetldi
        startstone

Those commands must report successful completition. If not, see also
gemstone.log in, hmm, /opt/gemstone/log ?

For more help it would be better to ask guys on GLASS mailing list.

Best regards
Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Ok...I have an ubuntu 7.10 64 bit VMWare server successfully running the
> GemStone/S Web Edition, version 2.3.0beta1.
>
> I can run Seaside from another computer, but not from the server
> itself--I'm sure this is some networking thing I don't understand.
>
> I have GemTools on another computer, and have added:
>
> gs64ldi     50377/tcp
>
> to my /etc/services file, and restarted networking with:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> and even rebooted, but when I try to login from a remote machine, I get:
>
> The given Stone Repository monitor cannot be reached:
> , NetLDI service 'gs64ldi' not found on node 'glass':
>  The gethostbyname() call failed for host 'glass' failed with h_errno =
> 1, HOST_NOT_FOUND, Authoritive Answer Host not found
>
> Select Proceed to continue, or close this window to cancel the operation.
>

> Just wondering if you had run into this and had any ideas?
>
> Meanwhile, I can't quite even run the GemTools image from within ubuntu
> from the command line!
>
> But...almost there...I'd like to get an Aida based Virtual Machine that
> people could play with!
>
> Rob

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Thanks...and yes, topaz works and I can get to seaside remotely...time to head on over to the GLASS list!

Thanks again; have a good weekend,

Rob

Rob Rothwell wrote:

[...]

Sorry, one more question, and then I imagine my problems are network related and I will need to learn more than I wanted to!

I loaded:

Swazoo-2.1-dkh.9.mcz
Aida-5.6-jm.11.mcz

and then did

SwazooAida demoStart

When you did this, it did it block like we talked about before, right?  Did you have to do an Alt-. and interrupt GemStone?

I did, and then I had to do (AidaSite named: 'aidademo') start to start the site.

Anyway, I am definitely talking to GemStone (in a VMWare appliance I built myself) from another computer using the GemTools image; I just can't seem to reach the Aida site, either from within the host computer or external to it, and neither with DHCP or static IP.

I just wanted to make sure that the blocking thing was expected behavior before I go down the networking path!

Take care,

Rob

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Rob, blocking is expected behavior, I just don't remember if Ctrl-. is
really the way to break the execution. After you break Aida, it is also
good to stop it: SwazooAida stop. I have one line always ready to execute:

        SwazooAida stop; demoStart

Maybe yo can try to run on all interfaces with puting '*' as ip:

        (AIDSite named: 'aidademo' ip: '*'

Janko