Alien support in standard VM?

Torsten Bergmann

Any news on this?

Thx
Torsten

Re: Alien support in standard VM?

David T. Lewis

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:39:32AM +0200, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Any news on this?

John,

Can you offer any guidance on this?

I have not looked at this in any detail, but it look like the
Alien-VMMaker-Support package could potentially be merged into VMMaker
(assuming MIT license for those changes), and the remainder of the
Alien on SqueakSource should be maintained as a separate package,
as is already the case.

I have not tried building the Alien support, but I appears that for
32-bit Intel platforms it would be a matter of building the plugin
from sources in Alien-VMMaker-Plugins. The remainder would be image
changes to be loaded from the remaining packages in Alien from your
SqueakSource project.

Is that correct?

Dave

Re: Alien support in standard VM?

johnmci

I would think you will find the  alien plugin source is under

"Copyright 2008 Cadence Design Systems, Inc. Licensed under the Apache
License, Version 2.0 (the ''License''); you may not use this file
except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the
License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Aug 27th, 2009 "

But as far as I can see the only author is Eliot, with changes by me
to fix a few things and expand a bit on the PowerPC support.

Further to this

The class comment says:

"This plugin implements the Newsqueak foreign-function interface, a
small elaboration on the Strongtalk FFI.

Call-outs are performed by a small number of primitives, one each for
the four different kinds of return linkage on x86.  The primitives are
var-args.  Each primitive has a signature something like:"

Also some of the C & h files are
* Some of this code is
  * Copyright 2008 Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  *
  * Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the ''License'');
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.  You
may obtain a copy of the License at  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  *
with perhaps

  * Some of this code is

  //  Created by John M McIntosh on 12/2/08.

  Copyright (c) 2008 Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd. All rights
reserved.
  MIT License

or  if I had made the file without using Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
files.

--
=
=