An Error Preference?

Kirk Fraser
When programming I sometimes encounter a situation where the method entry pane stays in error mode so anything I type or copy in, even perfectly good code produces an error, usually nothing more expected and most or all of the code stays red.  In the past I've lucked out of it somehow, deleting a hard to see misplaced character.  But this time it doesn't stop even on a method with only a name, comment and hand entered | |.  How is this preference for calling everything an error defeated?  Thanks.

Kirk Fraser

Re: An Error Preference?

Chris Muller-3
Are you sure you're in the method-entry pane and not the
class-definition pane?  You ahve to select a method or method-category
to enter a new method.

Teh other possibility is you have a bad character in the text.  If so,
I would just delete all that text and re-type your code.  Select
"cancel" on the text menu.  Or, you could press Command+a followed by
Backspace.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Kirk Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When programming I sometimes encounter a situation where the method entry
> pane stays in error mode so anything I type or copy in, even perfectly good
> code produces an error, usually nothing more expected and most or all of the
> code stays red.  In the past I've lucked out of it somehow, deleting a hard
> to see misplaced character.  But this time it doesn't stop even on a method
> with only a name, comment and hand entered | |.  How is this preference for
> calling everything an error defeated?  Thanks.
>
> Kirk Fraser

Re: An Error Preference?

Kirk Fraser
Chris,

Thanks. Starting over from a fresh method entry pane and typing without copying worked. Maybe my WinVista OS and keyboard are acting up inserting bad characters.  When I attempt to close and restart Squeak part of my keyboard goes bad putting up "3" instead of typed "l" for example, unless I reboot the computer between Squeak sessions.