An interesting presentation and discussion

12

RE: An interesting presentation and discussion

Ramon Leon
 C# 2.0 can do what, can you be more precise?

stéphane ducasse-2
apparently you can add "static" like method on a class (at least this
will be in 3.0).
So this is not really class extension.

By the way I show the slides to an excellent expert on type systems
from SUN and
he said that the idea of dependent types were really not good. :)

Stef

>  C# 2.0 can do what, can you be more precise?

Well, you said 2.0 which is why I asked, it's not 2.0, it's 3.0.  It will let you add instance methods by using a convention similar to what programmers already do, create utility classes with only static methods, and they'll appear as instance methods on the classes you're extending, very much like extension methods in Smalltalk.  However, since 2.0 was just released it's kind of pointless, 3.0 is vaporware and will be for quite some time.

Marcel Weiher

On 6 Feb 2006, at 23:46, Nicholas Bennett wrote:

> Is it just me or does the "horizontal subclassing" Tim is looking
> for (allowing one to extend an existing framework (like the
> licensed Unreal Engine code) by adding some 'cluster' of members to
> some high level class that is deep in the engine) sound a lot like
> Traits?

Sounds a lot like Objective-C categories, if you ask me...

Marcel

--
Marcel Weiher                          Metaobject Software Technologies
[hidden email]         www.metaobject.com

12