An update after ESUG.

Bryce Kampjes

ESUG saw a lot of progress for Exupery. There is now a preliminary
Mac port and 2 bugs were fixed. There is a Mac VM available here:

 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3945

This version is compiled without optimisation. It looks like there's a
bug in GCC 4.0.1 which is preventing sends from working in Exupery.
Exupery works fine with gcc 3.3.3 and gcc 4.1.2. Hopefully there will
be a more polished Mac VM soon compiled with optimisations. Thanks to
Matthieu for building this.

Two bugs were fixed. The major bug was due Exupery overflowing
the root table, this was the one that was causing the crashes that
I was debugging. There was a minor bug that was due to failing to
mark Exupery's interpreter integration objects which as far as I'm
aware has never caused a crash, it's fixed too.

I'm starting to think about the next release seriously as I'm
hopeful that it's only one bug fix away. The pre-release tasks
are:
  * Fix the current bug
  * Test that Exupery can compile in the background for an hour
  * Check that the stress test still runs
  * Get Exupery installing from Package Universes
  * Build an Exupery development package on Package Universes
  * Integrate the 2G VM fixes from Dave and John.

I'd like to make it easier to build Exupery development images,
Exupery's development tools use more packages than Exupery needs to
run. The two things that need to be done is automating the build and
making sure that the catalogue has up to date pointers to to
packages. Some packages still point to the old minnow location for the
Squeak swiki.

I'd also like to integrate the 2G unsigned pointer comparison fixes
as they were causing crashes on my laptop after fixing the root table
bugs. At the time, I thought it was image corruption which is
plausible after debugging a GC related bug.

Bryce

Re: An update after ESUG.

Lukas Renggli
> ESUG saw a lot of progress for Exupery. There is now a preliminary
> Mac port and 2 bugs were fixed. There is a Mac VM available here:
>
>  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3945

Great.

I tried the Exupery VM for Mac and the prebuilt image on the wiki
site. Most examples and tests don't work because
MachineX86>>#exuperyCreateContext fails. Is there anything I am
missing?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: An update after ESUG.

Bryce Kampjes
Lukas Renggli writes:
 > > ESUG saw a lot of progress for Exupery. There is now a preliminary
 > > Mac port and 2 bugs were fixed. There is a Mac VM available here:
 > >
 > >  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3945
 >
 > Great.
 >
 > I tried the Exupery VM for Mac and the prebuilt image on the wiki
 > site. Most examples and tests don't work because
 > MachineX86>>#exuperyCreateContext fails. Is there anything I am
 > missing?

Yes, the pre-built image is very old. Use the latest Exupery from
SqueakSource.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that, that image is built for the
latest development versions of Exupery. It should work with
Exupery version 264 from SqueakSource. The b in the file name is
a build number, which is just a Monticello version number.

Bryce