[Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Roel Wuyts
Hello people,

based on the excellent OmniBrowser framework I recently started
working on a new SystemBrowser that is loosely based on the one from
VisualWorks.

The key feature is found on the two top-left frames: instead of
showing categories and classes, as in the normal System Browser, this
browser shows Monticello packages and (hierarchies of) classes.
Moreover, these panes can be switched in which case the left pane
becomes a hierarchy view of whatever classes was selected before, and
the second pane shows all the packages this class is defined in or
has extensions in.

Sounds complicated, right ? Well, it is actually extremely easy to
use and a breeze if you ever open hierarchy browsers on a class to
see what you are inheriting, or if you use class extensions.

Before I continue working on this, I am interested in all kinds of
feedback, since if not enough people are interested (positively or
negatively) I cannot motivate myself to invest much time :-) Most
specifically I am looking for feedback from Monticello experts, since
the current implementation of getting packages etc. does not feel
right (allthough it works, I only use my browser to develop in, and I
use it for publishing to SqueakSource).

If you are ready to play with it: find the package named
'DuoSystemBrowser3.9' on SqueakSource. And, yes, it is for Squeak3.9.

Roel

Re: [Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Damien Cassou-3
Hello Roel,

this is a very good idea. In VW, one has different views for the same
classes in the same browser. It is sometimes very useful. Did you had a
look at OBPackageBrowser ?

Please continue, I will test it and give you feedback

Re: [Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Alain Plantec
Le Thursday 20 July 2006 16:29, Roel Wuyts a écrit :
> Hello people,

Hello Roel,
It's a very good news, I vill try it and send you feed backs.
thanks!
alain

> based on the excellent OmniBrowser framework I recently started
> working on a new SystemBrowser that is loosely based on the one from
> VisualWorks.
>
> The key feature is found on the two top-left frames: instead of
> showing categories and classes, as in the normal System Browser, this
> browser shows Monticello packages and (hierarchies of) classes.
> Moreover, these panes can be switched in which case the left pane
> becomes a hierarchy view of whatever classes was selected before, and
> the second pane shows all the packages this class is defined in or
> has extensions in.
>
> Sounds complicated, right ? Well, it is actually extremely easy to
> use and a breeze if you ever open hierarchy browsers on a class to
> see what you are inheriting, or if you use class extensions.
>
> Before I continue working on this, I am interested in all kinds of
> feedback, since if not enough people are interested (positively or
> negatively) I cannot motivate myself to invest much time :-) Most
> specifically I am looking for feedback from Monticello experts, since
> the current implementation of getting packages etc. does not feel
> right (allthough it works, I only use my browser to develop in, and I
> use it for publishing to SqueakSource).
>
> If you are ready to play with it: find the package named
> 'DuoSystemBrowser3.9' on SqueakSource. And, yes, it is for Squeak3.9.
>
> --
> Roel

Re: [Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Roel,

IMHO, you are off to a great start.  I have never liked the alphabetical
list of classes, though for inexplicable reasons, it has bothered me
less in Squeak than in other systems.  That aside, thanks for doing
this.

Your context menus are nice too, though I suspect a little incomplete.
I particularly like the placement of the browse-it command in the code
pane's menu; I use it often and like having it on the first "page" of
the menu.

Shout would be nice addition.  I would prefer to either have the --all--
method category selected by default, or to simply have all methods
displayed when no category is selected.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

Re: [Ann] DuoSystemBrowser

Philippe Marschall
Hi

Looks interesing.

Some issues I have come accoross:

- If a cagetory is selected and you have the same category of on the
class side then switching to the class side does not update the
methods displayed.

- Switching to the class side of a trait displays the instance side of Trait.

- Does italic for a class mean class extension? If so, shouldn't a
sublcass with class extensions also be italic? Like for example when a
package has a class extension in String and ByteString.

Cheers
Philippe