Announcement: Spelling services

Tim Felgentreff
Hi

Once upon a time, John M. McIntosh built a spellchecker plugin for the
MacVM and there was a fileout that added a spelling service class to use
it from Squeak. We have added code to provide the same API (for now) to
windows and linux users that have ispell (or a compatible program, like
aspell) installed on their systems using system callouts.

A metacello configuration is available from the MetacelloRepository on
Squeaksource, ConfigurationOfSpellingServices.

The development repository is at
http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/SpellingServices.html,
the repo has global read+write, so if anybody finds this useful and has
changes, feel free to commit to that repository.

-Tim

Re: Announcement: Spelling services

Paul DeBruicker
Thanks for making this.

I just submitted some changes so this project works on 64 bit linux
(Ubuntu) and Pharo-1.3

I'm happy to take another look at it if you don't like some of my changes.

Paul

On 12-03-06 08:35 AM, Tim Felgentreff wrote:

> Hi
>
> Once upon a time, John M. McIntosh built a spellchecker plugin for the
> MacVM and there was a fileout that added a spelling service class to use
> it from Squeak. We have added code to provide the same API (for now) to
> windows and linux users that have ispell (or a compatible program, like
> aspell) installed on their systems using system callouts.
>
> A metacello configuration is available from the MetacelloRepository on
> Squeaksource, ConfigurationOfSpellingServices.
>
> The development repository is at
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/SpellingServices.html,
> the repo has global read+write, so if anybody finds this useful and has
> changes, feel free to commit to that repository.
>
> -Tim

Re: Announcement: Spelling services

Christoph Thiede
Hi all,

I created a small fix to get the ispell interface working again for Windows,
but unfortunately, I cannot upload it because the HPI SqueakSource is in
read-only mode now.

For now, I'm attaching my patch here as an MCZ, but maybe we should move
this repository either to squeaksource.com or to GitHub?

---

SpellingServices-ct.mcz
<http://forum.world.st/file/t372205/SpellingServices-ct.mcz>

Name: SpellingServices-ct.6
Author: ct
Time: 12 June 2021, 7:32:26.942173 pm
UUID: b1b3b84a-56b2-4844-99fd-a2a3ee6e546c
Ancestors: SpellingServices-tfel.5

Fix ispell interface for Windows

Only open the file in read-only mode, otherwise the callout on Windows fails
to write back into the same file.

---

Best,
Christoph