Announcements for Pharo?

12

Announcements for Pharo?

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
And if so, which of the existing implementations?

Michael

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Tudor Girba-3
That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of Lukas
and it works just fine.

Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did not
look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from the
blog :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Feb 2009, at 01:28, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
> And if so, which of the existing implementations?
>
> Michael

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
Tudor Girba wrote:
> That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of Lukas
> and it works just fine.

+ 1

I also use the Lukas' version.
That is the version that we should use and standarize to.

Miguel Cobá

> Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
> copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did not
> look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from the
> blog :).
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 26 Feb 2009, at 01:28, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
>> And if so, which of the existing implementations?
>>
>> Michael

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Rob Rothwell
+1

Even as a beginner, it made sense to me!

Rob

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tudor Girba wrote:
> That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of Lukas
> and it works just fine.

+ 1

I also use the Lukas' version.
That is the version that we should use and standarize to.

Miguel Cobá

> Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
> copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did not
> look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from the
> blog :).
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 26 Feb 2009, at 01:28, Michael Rueger wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
>> And if so, which of the existing implementations?
>>
>> Michael

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Ramon Leon-5
> + 1
>
> I also use the Lukas' version.
> That is the version that we should use and standarize to.
>
> Miguel Cobá

+1 for me as well, I also use Lukas' implementation.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

keith1y
Rob Rothwell wrote:

> +1
>
> Even as a beginner, it made sense to me!
>
> Rob
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
>
>     Tudor Girba wrote:
>     > That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of
>     Lukas
>     > and it works just fine.
>     >

There is also WAAnnouncements, "Wandering announcements" which has a
whole lot more functionality taking advantage of the intrinsic structure
and logical geography of components. i.e. An announcement can track a
path up a hierarchy or over siblings.

I wrote this to be useful for simulations (of hierarchical assemblies),
and the UI has a hierarchical structure.

Keith

Keith Hodges wrote:

> Rob Rothwell wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> Even as a beginner, it made sense to me!
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
>>
>>     Tudor Girba wrote:
>>     > That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of
>>     Lukas
>>     > and it works just fine.
>>     >
>>
> There is also WAAnnouncements, "Wandering announcements" which has a
> whole lot more functionality taking advantage of the intrinsic structure
> and logical geography of components. i.e. An announcement can track a
> path up a hierarchy or over siblings.
>
> I wrote this to be useful for simulations (of hierarchical assemblies),
> and the UI has a hierarchical structure.

It is possible to merge this extra functionality or create
a new Announcements framework that includes the best of the two?

Miguel Cobá

> Keith

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
> copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did not
> look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from the
> blog :).

I originally started from Colin's minimal implementation in OB and
extended it with additional ideas that I found in the blog of Vassili.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Janko Mivšek
I found Vassili's Announcements a really cool way to implement any
publish/subscribe event mechanism, because it is generally useful for
many things from events in GUI apps to those on web apps and they can be
extended even in a distributed way (think Hydra).

Announcements in Pharo are therefore very welcome, I'd just be careful
that they are API compatible with VisualWorks, to ease porting.

Best regards
Janko

Rob Rothwell pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Tudor Girba-3
We have just ported an application that uses Announcements from VW to
Pharo, and it worked out of the box (well, a minor renaming was
necessary, but it is now committed) with the implementation of Lukas.

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Feb 2009, at 11:20, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> I found Vassili's Announcements a really cool way to implement any
> publish/subscribe event mechanism, because it is generally useful for
> many things from events in GUI apps to those on web apps and they
> can be
> extended even in a distributed way (think Hydra).
>
> Announcements in Pharo are therefore very welcome, I'd just be careful
> that they are API compatible with VisualWorks, to ease porting.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Rob Rothwell pravi:
>> +1
>>
>> Even as a beginner, it made sense to me!
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
>>
>>  Tudor Girba wrote:
>>> That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of
>>> Lukas
>>> and it works just fine.
>>>

>>  + 1
>>
>>  I also use the Lukas' version.
>>  That is the version that we should use and standarize to.
>>
>>  Miguel Cobá
>>
>>> Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
>>> copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did
>>> not
>>> look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from
>>> the
>>> blog :).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every successful trip needs a suitable vehicle."

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Lautaro Fernández
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
Does exist the Announcement implementation of Lukas in the actual image of Pharo?

In some time we will publish a new framework for Comet (called Meteoroid) which goes on top of Seaside and Swazoo and we are thinking to port it into Squeak/Pharo, but an implementation of announcements is required. It would be nice to see how much are similar the Lukas's announcements with Cincom's announcements.

Bye,
Lautaro Fernández

2009/2/25 Tudor Girba <[hidden email]>
That would be cool, actually. I have used the implementation of Lukas
and it works just fine.

Lukas pointed out that the VW Announcements code is under Cincom
copyright. The nice thing about his implementation is that he did not
look at the code. He only implemented the idea as he read it from the
blog :).

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Feb 2009, at 01:28, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
> And if so, which of the existing implementations?
>
> Michael

www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Luke LAut SkyFernadezWalker

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Lautaro Fernández wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
> Does exist the Announcement implementation of Lukas in the actual
> image of Pharo?

We will include it.

Stef

2009/2/26 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Lautaro Fernández wrote:

> This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
> Does exist the Announcement implementation of Lukas in the actual
> image of Pharo?

We will include it.

Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
Lautaro Fernández

Stef

Lautaro Fernández wrote:

> 2009/2/26 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>

>     On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Lautaro Fernández wrote:
>
>     > This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
>     > Does exist the Announcement implementation of Lukas in the actual
>     > image of Pharo?
>
>     We will include it.
>

> Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
> Lautaro Fernández
I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
loadable and only be called up if needed?

Keith

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

NorbertHartl
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 16:28 -0800, Michael Rueger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> should we add Announcements as part of the core image?
> And if so, which of the existing implementations?

I started to use AXAnnouncements in the early 2007. It is
used much in my application. While resurrecting the project
the last month I changed it to use Lukas' Announcements.
All I had to do was changing a call

when:do:for

subscribe:do:for

Works like a charm!

Norbert

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Michael Rueger-6
Keith Hodges wrote:

>>     We will include it.
>>

>> Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
>> Lautaro Fernández
> I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
> loadable and only be called up if needed?

Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/subscribing and
can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
available made all the difference.

Michael Rueger wrote:

> Keith Hodges wrote:
>
>>>     We will include it.
>>>

>>> Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
>>> Lautaro Fernández
>> I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
>> loadable and only be called up if needed?
>
> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
> This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/subscribing and
> can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
> provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
> In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
> available made all the difference.

  +1
We need to standarize to only one implementation, if posible, adding the
features needed from the others if neccesary.
It could be that some features from other implementation could not be
integrated because of architectural reason, but that will be discussed
when the time arrives.

Miguel Cobá

> Michael

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.

I have to disagree. The less we have the core, the easier it will be
to maintain it. However, Announcements may be included in the Pharo
distribution (currently named pharo-dev). I think we should discuss
that. I've added it to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Announcements for Pharo?

Janko Mivšek
Damien Cassou pravi:

> Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
>> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.

> I have to disagree. The less we have the core, the easier it will be
> to maintain it. However, Announcements may be included in the Pharo
> distribution (currently named pharo-dev). I think we should discuss
> that. I've added it to http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Packages

Announcements will soon become as core as Morphic, actually even more,
because they can replace the existing event mechanism in Morphic. VW
guys actually did that in their GUI, so this is proven in practice.

Therefore it is good for Announcements to become part of core, because
it will enable so many things, which is the main goal of the core
anyway: to contain a functionality useful as broadly as possible.

So, make an exception, include Announcements in core, noone will regret
that!

Janko

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 07:45 -0800, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Keith Hodges wrote:
>
> >>     We will include it.
> >>

> >> Thanks, we will try with Pharo then.
> >> Lautaro Fernández
> > I am confused. Surely you would expect a loadable package to remain
> > loadable and only be called up if needed?
>
> Although I'm normally the first to argue against including more stuff
> into the core image I think Announcements need to be part of core.
> This will allow us to have *one* mechanism for signaling/subscribing and
> can over time replace the different variants that are now used and
> provide a solid base for anyone needing such a mechanism.
> In the experimental forks I have worked on having Announcements
> available made all the difference.

Does that mean that the EventManager, package System-Object Events and
the methods in Object will be replaced by that? If yes I'm all for it!

Norbert

12