Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

ericgao
Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very clear idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class browser to type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step, any introduction on other function of Squeak? and any API reference for Squeak development environment?

How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?

And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place, how could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....

Re: Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

Enrico Schwass-2
ericgao <[hidden email]> writes:

Hello and welcome,

> Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very
> clear idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class
> browser to type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step,
> any introduction on other function of Squeak?

You definitely want to read

http://www.squeakbyexample.org/

If you dont know about yet, take a look at method finder. Also there are
some screencasts at

http://www.smalltalktelevision.com/

e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcGQT2lstFc

> and any API reference for Squeak development environment?

Most of the time there is no use for external API docs. Because you can
explore the image within the image. Most methods are sorted in common
protocols. So there are easier to find.

> How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?

The brandnew 4.2 image is a good start. If you want to reduce image size
Cuis might a good start.

There is also a load/unload mechanism.

http://forum.world.st/About-unloading-of-packages-in-the-most-recent-Squeak-4-1-trunk-td2333414.html

> And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place,
> how could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....

In the world menu click on Go to previous project.

One last remark: Dont give up to early. The learning curve during the
first two weeks might be steep, but later on you will be very productive

Keep on
Enno

Re: Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

K K Subbu
On Friday 11 Feb 2011 8:20:03 am ericgao wrote:
> Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very clear
> idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class browser to
> type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step, any introduction
> on other function of Squeak? and any API reference for Squeak development
> environment?
For programming tools like Workspace
   http://www.squeakbyexample.org
For simple examples - Terse Guide to Squeak at
   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
For Morphic GUI  - John Maloney's
  http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

Search past archives of beginner's list for other recommendations.

> How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?
Open an existing image, bring up the world menu and do a "save as" under a new
name.

> And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place, how
> could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....
The grey sheet is your "world". When you start Squeak for the first time, you
are shown a blank project. You add code (changeset) to the world by
programming using Workspace or Class Browser. Usually the first step is to give
a name to the project.

     Project current renameTo: 'Parrot'

When a new project is created, the parent project carries a thumbnail picture
of the new project. If you jump back to the parent from the Projects menu, you
can see this thumbnail. Click on this to re-enter it or press middle button to
get a menu to remove ("expunge") just the thumbnail or thumbnail along with
its attached project object.

You can create many projects and carry them in Squeak image itself. or you can
export ("save" or "publish") it to a file or remote server and import ("load")
it later.

Watch out for beginner's trap - The parent only contains a reference to the
new project object but not the whole project object. Saving the parent does
not save the new project.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

Steve Thomas
In the Squeak By Example Book they reference a BlobMorph (which seems to have been removed from the latest version (4.2)
Is there an HTML version of the book where I can add comments as I go for suggested changes?

Stephen

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday 11 Feb 2011 8:20:03 am ericgao wrote:
> Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very clear
> idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class browser to
> type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step, any introduction
> on other function of Squeak? and any API reference for Squeak development
> environment?
For programming tools like Workspace
  http://www.squeakbyexample.org
For simple examples - Terse Guide to Squeak at
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
For Morphic GUI  - John Maloney's
 http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

Search past archives of beginner's list for other recommendations.

> How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?
Open an existing image, bring up the world menu and do a "save as" under a new
name.

> And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place, how
> could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....
The grey sheet is your "world". When you start Squeak for the first time, you
are shown a blank project. You add code (changeset) to the world by
programming using Workspace or Class Browser. Usually the first step is to give
a name to the project.

    Project current renameTo: 'Parrot'

When a new project is created, the parent project carries a thumbnail picture
of the new project. If you jump back to the parent from the Projects menu, you
can see this thumbnail. Click on this to re-enter it or press middle button to
get a menu to remove ("expunge") just the thumbnail or thumbnail along with
its attached project object.

You can create many projects and carry them in Squeak image itself. or you can
export ("save" or "publish") it to a file or remote server and import ("load")
it later.

Watch out for beginner's trap - The parent only contains a reference to the
new project object but not the whole project object. Saving the parent does
not save the new project.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

laurent laffont

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
In the Squeak By Example Book they reference a BlobMorph (which seems to have been removed from the latest version (4.2)
Is there an HTML version of the book where I can add comments as I go for suggested changes?

Stephen

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM, K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday 11 Feb 2011 8:20:03 am ericgao wrote:
> Have used Squeak for some days, but it seems I still don't have very clear
> idea on how to use Squeak for develop, only know to open class browser to
> type in code and run in workspace and debug step by step, any introduction
> on other function of Squeak? and any API reference for Squeak development
> environment?
For programming tools like Workspace
  http://www.squeakbyexample.org
For simple examples - Terse Guide to Squeak at
  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5699
For Morphic GUI  - John Maloney's
 http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

Search past archives of beginner's list for other recommendations.

> How could a create a fresh image for Squeak developement?
Open an existing image, bring up the world menu and do a "save as" under a new
name.

> And after clicking on create a new project, squeak go to a grey place, how
> could I get back? Only i could do is closing the Squeak....
The grey sheet is your "world". When you start Squeak for the first time, you
are shown a blank project. You add code (changeset) to the world by
programming using Workspace or Class Browser. Usually the first step is to give
a name to the project.

    Project current renameTo: 'Parrot'

When a new project is created, the parent project carries a thumbnail picture
of the new project. If you jump back to the parent from the Projects menu, you
can see this thumbnail. Click on this to re-enter it or press middle button to
get a menu to remove ("expunge") just the thumbnail or thumbnail along with
its attached project object.

You can create many projects and carry them in Squeak image itself. or you can
export ("save" or "publish") it to a file or remote server and import ("load")
it later.

Watch out for beginner's trap - The parent only contains a reference to the
new project object but not the whole project object. Saving the parent does
not save the new project.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Any Beginner Introduction on Squeak Usage

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Steve Thomas wrote:

> In the Squeak By Example Book they reference a BlobMorph (which seems to
> have been removed from the latest version (4.2)

You should use the SqueakByExample image with the book:
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/4624/SqueakByExample-1.3.zip

Levente