Any hint how to use wrap?

Uwe Hübner
Dear Squeakers,

can anybody give me a hint how to use the 'Sketch wrap' in the
Squeakland-Squeak version 3.8-05 #556?

Uwe

Re: Any hint how to use wrap?

K. K. Subramaniam
On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 2:19:30 am Uwe Hübner wrote:
> Dear Squeakers,
>
> can anybody give me a hint how to use the 'Sketch wrap' in the
> Squeakland-Squeak version 3.8-05 #556.
When an object moves beyond the limits of its container, wrap makes it
re-appear on the other side. It is as if the container is a globe.

Try dragging a playfield out of Supplies into the world and then drag a star
into this playfield. Open the viewer for the star and create the following
script and start ticking that script.
        star forward by 5.
        star wrap.

You can turn the star around to see what happens as it moves disappears out of
view in different edges.

HTH .. Subbu

AW: Any hint how to use wrap?

"Hübner, Uwe"
Yes I expected that.
But it doesn't work.

Even in a newer image! (Squeak3.9-final-7067.image)

I thought, I was doing something wrong...

Is it broken?

Uwe (uwe4711 web.de)

On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 2:19:30 am Uwe Hübner wrote:
> Dear Squeakers,
>
> can anybody give me a hint how to use the 'Sketch wrap' in the
> Squeakland-Squeak version 3.8-05 #556.
When an object moves beyond the limits of its container, wrap makes it re-appear on the other side. It is as if the container is a globe.

Try dragging a playfield out of Supplies into the world and then drag a star into this playfield. Open the viewer for the star and create the following script and start ticking that script.
        star forward by 5.
        star wrap.

You can turn the star around to see what happens as it moves disappears out of view in different edges.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: AW: Any hint how to use wrap?

K. K. Subramaniam
On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 4:37:21 pm Hübner, Uwe wrote:
> Yes I expected that.
> But it doesn't work.
What exactly happens?

The attached project works fine in my Squeakland image.

Subbu

SunAndSnow.001.pr (40K) Download Attachment

AW: AW: Any hint how to use wrap?

"Hübner, Uwe"
Unexpectedly your project works.
Thanks.
But it doesn't work with
star forward by 5
Try it!

Uwe

On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 4:37:21 pm Hübner, Uwe wrote:
> Yes I expected that.
> But it doesn't work.
What exactly happens?

The attached project works fine in my Squeakland image.

Subbu

Re: Any hint how to use wrap?

Bert Freudenberg
Strange indeed. It also does not work in the OLPC Etoys image. I filed
a bug report:

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7550

- Bert -

Am 17.07.2008 um 08:47 schrieb Hübner, Uwe:

> Unexpectedly your project works.
> Thanks.
> But it doesn't work with
> star forward by 5
> Try it!
>
> Uwe

Re: AW: AW: Any hint how to use wrap?

K. K. Subramaniam
On Thursday 17 Jul 2008 9:17:09 pm you wrote:
> Unexpectedly your project works.
> Thanks.
> But it doesn't work with
> star forward by 5
forward command will not go beyond the fence if the playfield option "fence
enabled" is set. So it will not wrap around. If you want morphs to wrap
around in a playfield, turn the fence off (see attached project).

Subbu

SunAndSnow.002.pr (51K) Download Attachment

Re: AW: AW: Any hint how to use wrap?

Uwe Hübner
You are absolutely right.
:-)