Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

123

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Denis Kudriashov

PharoRemoteToolSet

Pharoos which reminds russian word parus (sail in english). Or in same meaning latin "Valum" or german Segel.

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Denis Kudriashov

RIDE? (Remote Integrated Development Environment)

It is too common name for Robots IDE

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Denis Kudriashov
Remode

RIDE? (Remote Integrated Development Environment)

It is too common name for Robots IDE

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

James Ladd

Flail looks like a good candidate .

Sent from my Commodore 64

On 30 Jan 2017, at 11:06 am, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some ideas for a cool name.
Any ideas?

Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.

For a change, I'm lacking original ideas :P
But of other suggestions, I like...

> Phresnel from Fresnel lenses [1] used in lighthouses to be visible over greater distances
Good googability and a *great* fit for Pharo's lighthouse theme.
There is one competing project https://github.com/lobid/Phresnel
but it looks abandoned and ranks low in searches.

> PharoAfar
Except its a bit of a tongue twist and I'd shorten it to Pharofar, and maybe Pharophar.
far = at, to, or by a great distance

> Pharoscope from Pharo + Telescope
Related terms: borescope, oscilloscope, spectroscope.

So far Phresnel is my phavorite.

cheers -ben

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Guillaume Larcheveque
Marionnetist

Guillaume Larcheveque

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

NorbertHartl

I really enjoy how motivated people get when it is about finding a name :)

I don't agree PharmIDE is a bad name. Farming is a well known term when it comes to server installations (server farm) or other distributed stuff. So as it is not your context you get another impression. People that are in the context (e.g. me ;) ) might think different. So while I agree it has a medicinal taste I like the name and I think we could coin the term more sincere for projects around pharo based farms.
So my gut feeling says that keeping the IDE could make sense. The term cloud is burnt so CloudIDE is maybe not good. A successor of this would be SwarmIDE if we need something that is still a bit trendy. But PharmIDE has its uniqueness and that is a surplus. Ok, I must confess I named some things for distributed infrastrature also with the prefix Pharm :)

Norbert

> Am 29.01.2017 um 15:14 schrieb stepharong <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.
>
> Stef

I also like my original name :)

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Ben Coman
On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.

Following a theme of "superpower remote viewing"

 * Clairvoi - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvoyance
915 googs is not too bad

* Psych - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic projection
43,500,000 googs, not so good

* ESP - Extra Sensory Pharo
265,000,000 googs, bleh!

*  sckrii - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying
987 googs instead of 788,000 for Scry not too bad

* astrrall - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection
87 googs instead of 55,100,000 for astral not to bad, but perhaps
trying a bit too hard

And btw, at home I refer to my own personal superpowers as "telepathetic"

cheers -ben

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Guillermo Polito
Avatools only gives ~2k results :)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.

Following a theme of "superpower remote viewing"

 * Clairvoi - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clairvoyance
915 googs is not too bad

* Psych - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic projection
43,500,000 googs, not so good

* ESP - Extra Sensory Pharo
265,000,000 googs, bleh!

*  sckrii - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrying
987 googs instead of 788,000 for Scry not too bad

* astrrall - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection
87 googs instead of 55,100,000 for astral not to bad, but perhaps
trying a bit too hard

And btw, at home I refer to my own personal superpowers as "telepathetic"

cheers -ben

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Ben Coman
On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some
> ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about
> Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.

* distann - derive from distantool, or distant tool.
2700 googs not too bad.

* ansyble - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible
90 googs rather than 3,130,000 googs for ansible
and differentiates from competing project http://ansible.com

cheers -ben

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

philippeback
Like it too FWIW.

Phil

I also like my original name :)

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Ben Coman
But I agree with Stef.  My very first impression when I read the ANN
subject line was of a pharmaceutical/medical app.  Maybe a slight
contraction to "PharIDE", which in common usage would probably become
"pharide". Only 6k googs is not too bad.

btw, what is the "m" for in PharmIDE ?

cheers -ben

First it is like farm.
Seconds it is Pharo Remote IDE

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

NorbertHartl

> Am 30.01.2017 um 14:21 schrieb Ben Coman <[hidden email]>:
>
> But I agree with Stef.  My very first impression when I read the ANN
> subject line was of a pharmaceutical/medical app.  Maybe a slight
> contraction to "PharIDE", which in common usage would probably become
> "pharide". Only 6k googs is not too bad.
>
> btw, what is the "m" for in PharmIDE ?

It is not an acronym per se but a variation of farm. So it is pharo farm. PharIDE just kills it. In this case something else would be better.

Norbert

> cheers -ben
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:15 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Like it too FWIW.
>>
>> Phil

>>> I also like my original name :)

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Thierry Goubier

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:14 PM, stepharong <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to get some
> ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about
> Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.

* distann - derive from distantool, or distant tool.
2700 googs not too bad.

* ansyble - derived from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansible
90 googs rather than 3,130,000 googs for ansible
and differentiates from competing project http://ansible.com

I vote for any name that has a relation to U.K. Le Guin books :)

3 miilions hits for a SF-invented word. Cool.

Regards,

Thierry

cheers -ben

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Brad Selfridge

I'm not a big fan of cryptic names. I already think there are way too many in Pharo. You look at the names and have no idea what they do. Why not call it what it is: "Pharo Remote IDE" or "RemoteIDE".  It's simple and it tells the user EXACTLY what it is without digging into some obscure document, (or no document at all).

--
Brad Selfridge
[hidden email]

Brad Selfridge

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Esteban A. Maringolo
+1 to simple names.

Pharo Remote.
No accronym involved, no lookup to know what it means.

A remote it also a noun, i.e. something you use to control your TV remotely :D

If you want more details... Pharo Remote Toolkit.
Tools is too abstract, toolkit is a set of tools meant to work
together o a particular kind of task..

Best regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> btw, what is the "m" for in PharmIDE ?
>

> First it is like farm.
> Seconds it is Pharo Remote IDE

> It is not an acronym per se but a variation of farm. So it is pharo farm. PharIDE just kills it. In this case something else would be better.

Instead you get Far-IDE.

But I do like the "farm" association.  So perhaps...
* Pharrem
which *sounds* like "farm" said real-slow like a farmer's drawl,
while avoiding the pharmaceutical association.

The two R's avoid it sounding like "fa-Rem".

The "rem" part associates more easily with "remote" than when the "e"
is dropped.

cheers -ben

Am 30.01.2017 um 16:21 schrieb Ben Coman <[hidden email]>:

[...]

We are talking about a technology for distributed stuff. I assume that anyone working in that area associates the term farm with a lot of things to manage. And that is what it does. If they are old enough the might even get the ph-pun (like in phreaking [1]). Maybe that is the reason I like it. Putting a lot of meaning in a term has most of the time no outcome because people cannot see the meaning you've put in. Recognizable terms are indeed a plus because it is just seeing it and knowing it from somewhere else.
Or you could (like Brad said) use a clear name that describes what it does. The problem here is that you cannot find it on the net among those other things that describe clearly the same.
And I'm against cool fantasy names like we have to many in pharo. They just produce confusion.

And that is my last mail on this topic. I knew it was wrong participating in that thread :)

Norbert

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking