Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

123

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

kilon.alios
Just for the record, the name does not matter

As a matter of fact if you want the name to really sell the library/ tools then the last thing you want is a name that makes any logical sense

You have much better chance to catch attention with "Pink Elephant" than "Pharo Remote tools" or whatever

illogical names monopolise the software market

Python
Ruby on Rails
Django
Blender
Unreal
Unity
Javascript
Java
C++
Windows
MacOS

and so on

Developers choose to name their projects the craziest names and wisely so

the name is there to catch attention, not to make sense or come up top on google search.

In the end what it matters is the code itself.

Ruby On Rails did not become populary because we love ruby stones or we love go "too...tooooooo" on rails ... its popular because the library has been very useful to many people.

And the name itself guarantees that it wont come up top in google search because it has nothing unique about it.

The rest is just marketing ;)

The rest is just marketing ;)

The rest is just marketing ;)

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Ben Coman
Not great but okay. i think we are at the point of "perfect is the enemy of done".  There have been plenty of suitable suggestions, and its a topic with high bike-shedding quotient, so you should just pick one you and the man paying the bills are happy with.  Otherwise you'll get another round of suggestions like these...
"phrem"  26k googs - pharo remote
"phremt" - 195 googs - pharo remote tools
"phremit" 225 googs - pharo remote integrated tools
"phremide" 5 googs - pharo remote ide

One thing to keep in mind though is that we can be as clever as we like here in text, but you should imagine yourself saying it in front of a lecture.

cheers -ben

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Markus Fritsche-4
Hello,

I guess the vote is already cast, but I'd like to add my two Cents:

the packages now have a description that give an idea about what the
package is supposed to do. Still, discoverability should be considered
when finding a name. That's why I would prefer something like TelePharo,
since the name already hints at the core functionality.

Best regards,
   Markus

Am 29.01.2017 15:14, schrieb stepharong:

> Hi guys
>
> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to
> get  some ideas for a cool name.
> Any ideas?
>
> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about
> Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.
>
> Stef

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Esteban A. Maringolo
If anybody ever did an `apt-cache search name` it will be clear that
having a good, concise, intention revealing package name is better
than having a sophisticated one. I don't see how in Pharo catalogs and
other discovery/browsing mechanisms it would be different.

Best regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hello,
>
> I guess the vote is already cast, but I'd like to add my two Cents:
>
> the packages now have a description that give an idea about what the package
> is supposed to do. Still, discoverability should be considered when finding
> a name. That's why I would prefer something like TelePharo, since the name
> already hints at the core functionality.
>
> Best regards,
>   Markus
>

> Am 29.01.2017 15:14, schrieb stepharong:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Since we will push the remote tools (videos/web...) I would like to
>> get  some ideas for a cool name.
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Because Pharmide (looks like medicine or chemical product).
>> Since I vaguely remember some german Pharmide made me think about
>> Fern(sehen) but this is not a good name.
>>
>> Stef

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Brad Selfridge
I understand that if a developer is building a standalone application, (like Windows, Apache, Slack, Git, ...... PHARO !!! ), then a fuzzy-wuzzy name may make sense. But, there are so many packages that are built for Pharo/Squeak use only, that have cryptic names and no descriptions. This drives me crazy. I see all these package names spewn about and I have no idea what they are. I look on the Pharo website - no explanation. I look on Git - often times little to no explanation. I look on SmalltalkHub - little to no explanation...etc. I look on Catalog Browser - absolutely NO explanation. The only way to find out is start texting message boards or load the code and study the crap out of it just trying to figure out that - "oops, I didn't really want that loaded at all".

With that said, the creator has the right to name their creation anything they want. Just understand, that we ARE wanting to grow our exposure and the we need to make this as easy and pain free as possible.
Brad Selfridge

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Andreas Wacknitz
I second this wholeheartedly!
Everything that is used outside Pharo could have a fancy name.
For internal tools and frameworks this is IMO really irritating and
repellent.
It is like talking in argot and creates high walls around Pharo.

Andreas

Am 24.02.17 um 17:18 schrieb Brad Selfridge:

> I understand that if a developer is building a standalone application, (like
> Windows, Apache, Slack, Git, ...... PHARO !!! ), then a fuzzy-wuzzy name may
> make sense. But, there are so many packages that are built for Pharo/Squeak
> use only, that have cryptic names and no descriptions. This drives me crazy.
> I see all these package names spewn about and I have no idea what they are.
> I look on the Pharo website - no explanation. I look on Git - often times
> little to no explanation. I look on SmalltalkHub - little to no
> explanation...etc. I look on Catalog Browser - absolutely NO explanation.
> The only way to find out is start texting message boards or load the code
> and study the crap out of it just trying to figure out that - "oops, I
> didn't really want that loaded at all".
>
> With that said, the creator has the right to name their creation anything
> they want. Just understand, that we ARE wanting to grow our exposure and the
> we need to make this as easy and pain free as possible.
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Igor Stasenko
Call it Java[tm]
..
..
what? i heard it is quite popular. albeit fuzzy wuzzy
:)

P.S. just call it Pharo-Remote and let it go

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Andreas Wacknitz wrote
Everything that is used outside Pharo could have a fancy name.
For internal tools and frameworks this is... like talking in argot and creates high walls around Pharo.
+100
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Any idea for a cool name for the remote tool suite?

Pierce Ng-3
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 04:42:03PM -0800, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Andreas Wacknitz wrote
> > Everything that is used outside Pharo could have a fancy name.
> > For internal tools and frameworks this is... like talking in argot and
> > creates high walls around Pharo.
>
> +100

Just call it Bike Teleporter already. :-P

Pierce

123