Any volunteers to mentor a Crypto/Exupery Soc project?

1 message Options

Any volunteers to mentor a Crypto/Exupery Soc project?

Bryce Kampjes
I've proposed a project to use Exupery to provide either fast
ByteArray or fast 32 bit arithmetic aiming to be useful for
cryptology. Is there any crypto people interested in co-mentoring?
Most of the mentoring will be on the Exupery side but some help
selecting benchmarks and evaluating the results could be very useful.

The idea for 32 bit integers is to provide a proper boxed object that
contains a 32 bit integer then write primitives for the required
arithmetic. With some work (the project) Exupery should be able to
remove the unnecessary boxing between expressions. If the objects were
"register" objects that could be assigned to then there is a chance
that we could remove all Smalltalk's overhead although a safe guess is
would be we'd achieve about 1/2 C's speed.

32 bit integers are a great project because the code delivered could
be very simply extended to also work with floating point numbers
providing the same level of efficiency. Working with 32 bit integers
allows the approach to be proven in a practical setting without also
needing to add support for floating point instructions. Less work, but
proves the same point and will be easily adaptable to do both.

Bryce
P.S. I messed up the exupery address in my first post thus I'm
resending to the exupery list.