Anybody using Orca Smalltalk to JavaScript?

123

Re: @About posting here

Eliot Miranda-2
Frank,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 3:52 AM, Frank-B <[hidden email]> wrote:
Phil,

nice attempt to drill and silence me! My advise: They all failed!

How is Phil's list of the advantages of mailing lists from a phone user (advantages I depend on all the time) an attempt to silence you?

If somebody can't cope with straight critics or unpopular opinions that aint
my fault.

Phil cotradicting you is not an example of someone not coping with your opinions, unpopular or otherwise.  Quite the opposite.  It is an example of rational debate.  Phil is introducing the benefits he sees from using mailing lists.  He disagrees with you.  To me it looks like you who can't cope with his disagreement.  Instead of addressing his points you post an extremely subjective response.

Frank
who never worried about being labeled and
from a country where free speech is still welcome

Why is free speech necessarily a national issue?  It is also an issue at smaller and larger scales.  How is your free speech being impinged upon here?  You haven't been blocked.  Tudor gave a reasoned request for you to be more civil, which is not bad advice.  I myself found your "javascript idiots" shocking, because I can think of no better way of antagonizing the JavaScript community, with which you may have to interact regularly to get help with your project, than writing the entire community off as idiotic.  Maybe I misunderstood you.

Anyway, I do hope that you can find discussion here more p[roductive and less antagonistic, both in your perceptions and your responses.  And more importantly I hope you have productive discussions here.  We all stand to benefit from each other if we can collaborate and assist, and that effort is in my experience always helped by clear and courteous communication, especially when opinions differ strongly.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: @About posting here

Frank-B
Eliot,

I already wrote twice: This case was closed on my side. I made my points clear but it seems you haven't read the whole thread.

Only because you misquoted me at least twice, I feel obliged to correct your false quotations:

1)
Why is free speech necessarily a national issue?
I NEVER wrote anything like that! It just aint fair to fake statements that were never made!

Unfortunately the suppression of free speech and even more so the self-censoring in peoples brains is in some countries, notably my home country in absence of a first amendment, far more advanced than in others - and in the US the "old system" is trying hard to achieve the same - look at all the fakes and lies around Putin bashing.

But if writers here use the most primitive national cliches I find this extremely stupid and annoying - espcially for someone like me who has lived more than half of his life in several other countries.

2) You should really learn to read and quote exactly, instead of making so many false allegations, because I also clearly did NOT call the JS "community" idiots but very precisely the people who devloped this language and the primitive tools without wanting to learn from existing technologies like in Smalltalk.

I wrote:
Why don't want these ignorant idiots who develop JavaScript and its primitive tools refuse to learn from Smalltalk?
Yes, that is my opinion!
(Though gramatically not quite correct!)

Because of many good reasons. Actually, nobody should know this better than Smalltalkers!

The more I am pulled and forced into such useless discussions often bsed on faked statements the less mood I have to add parts of my projects in the future. This is partially also the case, because I often have very different technological opinions not only on documentation. And if two writers tell me here to start documenting a third person's code, I find this just a bad silly joke. Yes, I am a documenation fanatic and my very long exprience tells me that this is totally correct. Failing to document is amateurish in my view and never ever can any excuse justify this failure!

I do not expect anybody to agree with me but I expect everbody to accepts other opinions including mine. This wasn't the case here. See what I wrote about Voltaire at 16. Aug. 14:23.

I hope you have productive discussions here.
I must strongly doubt that this will be the case.

And here is one proof why:

I find it most unmasking and eye opening that there was not a single comment to my long technical posting of 16. Aug. 08:34. All reactions were bashing me for the opinions that I expressed and on my critics, which were mostly addressing third party subjects (or did anybody here write this supa dupa forum mailing list?).

This proofs: Far more people here are interested in enforcing a social consensus than they are in discussing technical proposals and innovations.

Would you call this a good basis for productive technical discussion? I wouln't!

Regards
Frank

P.S. I suppose and do hope that you don't read your program code with the same low degree of precision as you quoted me!

P.S.2:  This was defintely my LAST response to any such off-topic postings whether fictious or true.

Re: @About posting here

kilon.alios
Could not agree more with entirety of your post.

Especially the part of the massive improvement of Pharo version 1 vs 6 are like and day.

Documentation wise even Unreal with its massive community and one of the most profitable game companies pouring massive resources has many doc problems.

In perspective and taking the size of the community into account we do great there too.

Personally I am running out of complains , my last ones is code completion and bootstrapping.  I would like to thank all contributors for the amazing work. Pharo is not perfect but it is improving blazing fast again taking into account the size of the community.

So excited for the future :)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 at 17:27, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know why you think that anybody would silence you.

Just the fact that you bother mentioning that is just a huge internal insecurity showcase to me.

Come on, if we cared about popular opinions, this would be a javascript or nodejs list, not a Pharo list.
I do not care a bit about popularity.
I care about my  customers being happy and accounts receivable clearing up on time so that I can provide for people who depend on me.

As far as I am concerned, you actively contributed to your channel volume being set to mute on my side.
That's how you come across and get on my nerves. Not because of what you write. Because of how.

I do not have a problem with critics against Pharo, I am cursing daily in front of it.
So far, my level of cursing is lower when working with Pharo than with other tool chains.

Pharo is there, I am happy for it to be around. Since the 1.x era, this thing has massively improved. Pharo 7 will be wonderful. Bootstrapping, how great. Massively great. Vector graphics, super. VM seeing major improvements and speedup. Roassal: awesome. GT: nothing can touch it. Community: packed to the gills with people who actually deliver working and innovative code. Want to be part of it? Your loss if you choose not to. Otherwise, welcome.

Contribute whatever you can.

Docs are in a bad state? Grab the docker image for book production at https://github.com/cdlm/docker-texlive
Clone something like https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Glorp, make a book about some stuff and push.

It is all tears in the rain anyway. As if I cared.

Phil