Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Chris Cunnington
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153739.html

By you.  As these emails from several weeks ago show.

I tried it and it failed on the Mac. It worked on the PC very easily.

"I'm unaware of any reported failures on the Mac."

I think that statement is what is known as negative proof. Unreported failure is not proof of success.

Who has made this work besides you?

Chris

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Andreas.Raab
The second message you quote states specifically the limitations of the
Mac OS support at this point, but *nowhere* does it say "the plugin
doesn't work". The plugin is expected to work on the Mac to the extend
described in that message and if people have difficulties to get this
working I'd appreciate feedback.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 10/5/2010 8:54 AM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153739.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153740.html
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153741.html
>
> By you.  As these emails from several weeks ago show.
>
> I tried it and it failed on the Mac. It worked on the PC very easily.
>
> "I'm unaware of any reported failures on the Mac."
>
> I think that statement is what is known as negative proof. Unreported
> failure is not proof of success.
>
> Who has made this work besides you?
>
> Chris

Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Chris Cunnington
On the one hand you have two people who have told you the plugin doesn't work. On the other hand you have nobody who says it does except you. And you're citing my possible misreading of an email you made saying it does. Where does the truth lie here, Andreas?

On 10/5/2010 10:14 AM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> On the one hand you have two people who have told you the plugin doesn't
> work. On the other hand you have nobody who says it does except you. And
> you're citing my possible misreading of an email you made saying it
> does. Where does the truth lie here, Andreas?

I'm not accusing you of anything and I would appreciate if you would do
me the same favor. It is quite possible that the plugin doesn't work.
However, your claim that this has been "acknowledged" implies that I am
not only aware of that situation but have also been able to verify such
failure. My point is, I haven't. So far, one person (Lawson) reported no
success, and I take from your above comment that you've tried as well,
but you hadn't previously pointed out your problems. I apologize for my
apparent failure to read your mind successfully, but my Jedi powers are
limited. I need people to *tell* me when something goes wrong :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

johnmci
http://smalltalkconsulting.com/html/squeakinfoplist.html

Alter
SqueakDebug
Set to 1, versus 0 to enable printing of some debug information

That might provide a clue about how the library loader logic is deciding where/why/who to load the SSL plugin.

On 2010-10-05, at 9:41 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> The second message you quote states specifically the limitations of the Mac OS support at this point, but *nowhere* does it say "the plugin doesn't work". The plugin is expected to work on the Mac to the extend described in that message and if people have difficulties to get this working I'd appreciate feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
> On 10/5/2010 8:54 AM, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153739.html
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153740.html
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153741.html
>>
>> By you.  As these emails from several weeks ago show.
>>
>> I tried it and it failed on the Mac. It worked on the PC very easily.
>>
>> "I'm unaware of any reported failures on the Mac."
>>
>> I think that statement is what is known as negative proof. Unreported
>> failure is not proof of success.
>>
>> Who has made this work besides you?
>>
>> Chris

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Yanni Chiu
On 07/10/10 12:00 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> http://smalltalkconsulting.com/html/squeakinfoplist.html
>
> Alter
> SqueakDebug
> Set to 1, versus 0 to enable printing of some debug information
>
> That might provide a clue about how the library loader logic is deciding where/why/who to load the SSL plugin.

That gave very useful information in the console. The relevant part is
attached, but the crucial clue seems to be:

dlopen(/Users/yanni/nobackup/Squeak4-1/Squeak
4.2.4beta1U.app/Contents/Resources/SqueakSSL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SqueakSSL,
10): no suitable image found.  Did find: ...
unknown required load command 0x80000022

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Maybe that's relevant here.

debug.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

johnmci
Is this a macIntel box or a PowerPC box?
Is SqueakSSL compiled for macIntel or PowerPC or both?

Are you running the Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app as MacIntel on a MacIntel box or
using Rosetta on a macIntel Machine, or running it a PowerPC machine?

On 10/7/2010 12:07 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Is this a macIntel box or a PowerPC box?
> Is SqueakSSL compiled for macIntel or PowerPC or both?

Whatever is the default on a "current" Mac in Xcode. Any chance you can
compile a canonical version that works with whatever VMs you're providing?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Are you running the Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app as MacIntel on a MacIntel box or
> using Rosetta on a macIntel Machine, or running it a PowerPC machine?
>

> On 2010-10-06, at 9:39 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>
>> On 07/10/10 12:00 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> http://smalltalkconsulting.com/html/squeakinfoplist.html
>>>
>>> Alter
>>> SqueakDebug
>>> Set to 1, versus 0 to enable printing of some debug information
>>>
>>> That might provide a clue about how the library loader logic is deciding where/why/who to load the SSL plugin.
>>
>> That gave very useful information in the console. The relevant part is attached, but the crucial clue seems to be:
>>
>> dlopen(/Users/yanni/nobackup/Squeak4-1/Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app/Contents/Resources/SqueakSSL.bundle/Contents/MacOS/SqueakSSL, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find: ...
>> unknown required load command 0x80000022
>>
>> I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Maybe that's relevant here.
>> <debug.txt>

> John M. McIntosh<[hidden email]>    Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

johnmci
I didn't see a link to the build material.

On 07/10/10 3:07 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Is this a macIntel box or a PowerPC box?
> Is SqueakSSL compiled for macIntel or PowerPC or both?
>
> Are you running the Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app as MacIntel on a MacIntel box or
> using Rosetta on a macIntel Machine, or running it a PowerPC machine?

Apple II - just kidding. I thought that saying OS X was enough to imply
macIntel, but I guess it's not.

I'm running on (no Rosetta):

Model Name: MacBook
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz

On 07/10/10 11:58 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> I didn't see a link to the build material.

I think the source is here:
   http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL-src.zip

and the ST plugin source here:
   http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL

On 07/10/10 1:37 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:
> On 07/10/10 11:58 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>> I didn't see a link to the build material.
>
> I think the source is here:
> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL-src.zip
>
> and the ST plugin source here:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL

I just remembered that the package currently does NOT indicate MIT
license. So, I'm not sure what the implications are for VM inclusion.

On 10/7/2010 10:51 AM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> On 07/10/10 1:37 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>> On 07/10/10 11:58 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>> I didn't see a link to the build material.
>>
>> I think the source is here:
>> http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakSSL-src.zip
>>
>> and the ST plugin source here:
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL
>
> I just remembered that the package currently does NOT indicate MIT
> license. So, I'm not sure what the implications are for VM inclusion.

It does not need to be included. It's an external plugin.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Chris Cunnington

I sort of didn't understand Yanni's difficulty. I worked through the SSL tutorial at http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com and I started to see it. I have a solution, I think, as usual, it's sort of a hack.

It's predicated on the idea that modules don't load into the image until they're needed. My solution is sort of to just shake the image. If you put the bundle in the right place (ensuring that you don't house it in SqueakSSL-bin file folder it came in) then it looks like this:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl1.jpg

Then you try Smalltalk listLoadedModules and  it doesn't appear. It needs to be primed at this point so try one of these or both:

    (WebClient httpGet: 'https://encrypted.google.com/') content.

    SqueakSSL google: 'squeak'

It complains. Save and quit. Restart. Then try Smalltalk listLoadedModules again, and SqueakSSL plugin will appear in the list. If still not there, prime again with the above in Workspace. Sufficiently shook, I proceed through the blog tutorial and set this to accept:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl2.jpg

It doesn't like that:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl3.jpg

But I'm not disappointed. My knowledge of whether I'm supposed to feed it the newkey.pem, newreq.pem or the demoCA/cacert.pem is not something I have. Perhaps somebody could tell me which is supposed to be the "the .pem file which must include both the certificate and the private key". With the correct file offered up to the image, I think it's on its way.

Chris