Apple allows Smalltalk apps on iOS

Bert Freudenberg

Re: Apple allows Smalltalk apps on iOS

Andreas.Raab
On 9/9/2010 8:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/09statement.html

Sweet! And I may be wrong but I'll send some kudos to John, and Alan,
and Mitch; I suspect they may have had something to do with that :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 09.09.2010, at 18:00, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 9/9/2010 8:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/09statement.html
>
> Sweet! And I may be wrong but I'll send some kudos to John, and Alan, and Mitch; I suspect they may have had something to do with that :-)

Well, interpreted code is allowed only if it comes in the app bundle. So downloading Etoys or Scratch projects is still not considered okay I think.

But it's progress nonetheless, not being restricted in ones choice of tools feels right :)

- Bert -

Re: Apple allows Smalltalk apps on iOS

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 09.09.2010 18:00, schrieb Andreas Raab:
> On 9/9/2010 8:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/09/09statement.html
>
> Sweet! And I may be wrong but I'll send some kudos to John, and Alan,
> and Mitch; I suspect they may have had something to do with that :-)

Rellay good! Does anybody have any idea how the part "as long as the
resulting apps do not download any code" affects Scratch, for example?
Is a Scratch project considered downloaded code?

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

(not owning any i* devices, I'm just asking out of curiousity)

Re: Apple allows Smalltalk apps on iOS

Michael Haupt-3

very good news. :-)
Thanks to all that helped making this possible!

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, interpreted code is allowed only if it comes in the app bundle. So downloading Etoys or Scratch projects is still not considered okay I think.

"... as long as the resulting apps do not download any code". Uh.

But it *is* significant progress; and moreover, the press release says
the reviewing policies will be made public as well. Not bad.

Best,

Michael

On 09.09.2010, at 18:46, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> very good news. :-)
> Thanks to all that helped making this possible!
>
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, interpreted code is allowed only if it comes in the app bundle. So downloading Etoys or Scratch projects is still not considered okay I think.
>
> "... as long as the resulting apps do not download any code". Uh.
>
> But it *is* significant progress; and moreover, the press release says
> the reviewing policies will be made public as well. Not bad.

They are, you just need a developer account to see them:

https://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/guidelines.html

But certainly someone will spill them too :)

- Bert -

Re: Apple allows Smalltalk apps on iOS

Casey Ransberger-2
Yeah, but the clincher I think is whether or not Apple will let us ship apps that allow users to *type code in by hand*. If that winds up being okay, and the full blown crusade against users programming is quieted a bit, we could do an Etoys or Scratch "mobile" that has import crippled, and export setup to send the projects to a website.

We could then make a "teachers" edition, and teachers could deploy the kids projects to the app store.

It sucks, but it's better than nothing.