Are Objects really hard?

Chris Cunnington

"Perhaps your passion is keeping you from understanding what others say."

Hard to argue with that. I'm definitely in a fit of pique at the moment.

"I support the concept of a small, basic image *providing*
there is a simple way for newcomers to add to the available extras."

Both of those things are key.

I will reiterate that I think the powerful origin legacy of Squeak is becoming
something that doesn't represent where the community would like to go. There
is an inertia that is holding Squeak from changing and I posit that we need
to break from the past. Without actually losing it, I guess.

Being on the Board can be maddening. Has anybody noticed that it has a high
attrition rate? You go in with the best of intentions and things seem so...
static.

Chris

Re: Are Objects really hard?

Tom Rushworth-2
On 12/02/13 14:04, Chris Cunnington wrote:

[snip]

> Being on the Board can be maddening. Has anybody noticed that it has a high
> attrition rate? You go in with the best of intentions and things seem so...
> static.

Things seem static in any group where participation is purely voluntary.
 It is sort of like herding cats - you can't force, or scare, or coral
them, you can only lure them into going where you want, and you can
never manage to lure all of them.  You have to adjust your idea of
success to include a few strays :).

Despite the static appearance overall progress does happen, just not as
much as or in the exact direction desired by any one individual.

We need the Board, so keep up the good work, and when it gets too
maddening, remember the successes not the failures.

Tom Rushworth

Re: Are Objects really hard?

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 04:18:42PM -0800, Tom Rushworth wrote:

> On 12/02/13 14:04, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Being on the Board can be maddening. Has anybody noticed that it has a high
> > attrition rate? You go in with the best of intentions and things seem so...
> > static.
>
> Things seem static in any group where participation is purely voluntary.
>  It is sort of like herding cats - you can't force, or scare, or coral
> them, you can only lure them into going where you want, and you can
> never manage to lure all of them.  You have to adjust your idea of
> success to include a few strays :).
>
> Despite the static appearance overall progress does happen, just not as
> much as or in the exact direction desired by any one individual.
>
> We need the Board, so keep up the good work, and when it gets too
> maddening, remember the successes not the failures.

+1

Chris, many thanks to you and all the board members for your time,
effort, and commitment.

Dave