Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Herbert König
Hello,

I wanted to have a look at Areithfa Ffenestri and couldn't find a link
for download, only a lot of references on the mailing list.

Any help?

Thanks,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

timrowledge

On 24-Jun-07, at 7:19 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to have a look at Areithfa Ffenestri and couldn't find a link
> for download, only a lot of references on the mailing list.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862 is the current intro page. The VM
code is in the VM repository under 'HostWindowPlugin'. Aside from
some simple testing code there isn't any image code to speak of;
someone needs to write it. John wrote some code to treat a Project as
a host window but I really don't like that approach very much. In my
opinion we really want the ability to have each window as a window.
If some suitable high-level morph (existing or new) can be made a
suitable proxy for the host window then Ffenestri should have enough
API to allow us to make fully host decorated main windows,
undecorated host windows to use as pop-up menus and dialogues and
pretty much anything else.

Now that we have access to Cairo drawing libraries and all the font
stuff it really ought to be possible to implement a Squeak UI that
hardly ever needs to fall back to simple bitblt. The potential for
performance enhancement is enormous.

tim
dilate - live long

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

johnmci
Check with the 3.10 team.

        Subject: Re: Ffenestri (multiple host window support), and Mac Host
Menus
        Date: January 15, 2007 2:48:02 PM PST (CA)

> The 3.10 team asked me to build a change set for Ffenestri
> (multiple host window support), and Mac Host Menus for 3.10.
> The last change set was build for Tweak in 2004.
>
> I've updated my ftp site and my idisk in the Ffenestri folder found
> in the experimental directory with a number of new
> change sets that let you load the Ffenestri logic into a 3.10
> image, likely also into a 3.9 image. Testing shows that this re-
> released code works with Mac PowerPC and MacIntel.  I did uncover a
> byte order problem on macintel btw.
>
> For the additional Macintosh Host menu support, used by Sophie, and
> by Scratch I've also pushed out a set of change sets
> to allow one to load that logic into a 3.10 image, likely also into
> a 3.9 image too. Testing shows that this re-released code works
> with Mac PowerPC and MacIntel.
>
> I did NOT revisit the Tweak support, there seems to be a LACK of
> interest. Anyone who wants to explore that should email me and I'll
> point out the methods of interest they can rework for Tweak.  Of
> course for Tweak you can open a tweak project in a host window and
> expect everything to work since the display and event queue are
> instance variables, not globals like in Morphic.

ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/Ffenestri

On Jun 24, 2007, at 8:37 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 24-Jun-07, at 7:19 AM, Herbert König wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanted to have a look at Areithfa Ffenestri and couldn't find a
>> link
>> for download, only a lot of references on the mailing list.
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862 is the current intro page. The
> VM code is in the VM repository under 'HostWindowPlugin'. Aside
> from some simple testing code there isn't any image code to speak
> of; someone needs to write it. John wrote some code to treat a
> Project as a host window but I really don't like that approach very
> much. In my opinion we really want the ability to have each window
> as a window. If some suitable high-level morph (existing or new)
> can be made a suitable proxy for the host window then Ffenestri
> should have enough API to allow us to make fully host decorated
> main windows, undecorated host windows to use as pop-up menus and
> dialogues and pretty much anything else.
>
> Now that we have access to Cairo drawing libraries and all the font
> stuff it really ought to be possible to implement a Squeak UI that
> hardly ever needs to fall back to simple bitblt. The potential for
> performance enhancement is enormous.
>
> tim
> dilate - live long

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Herbert König
Hello Tim,

tR> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862 is the current intro page. The VM
tR> code is in the VM repository under 'HostWindowPlugin'. Aside from

all I found was sqWin32HostWindowPlugin.c, including its own header
file which wasn't there.

Seems like I need to understand svn before even being able to get all
sources.

Anyway maybe it's time to dig into VMMaker again. I once was able to
build a 3.7 VM so there is a bit of hope :-))

thanks,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Herbert König
Hello John,

JMM> Check with the 3.10 team.

JMM> ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/experimental/Ffenestri

I'll look at that and at what Tim pointed out.

Maybe I'll understand a bit, at least enough to do what I outlined in
my other post.

On 24-Jun-07, at 11:41 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> tR> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862 is the current intro page.
> The VM
> tR> code is in the VM repository under 'HostWindowPlugin'. Aside from
>
> all I found was sqWin32HostWindowPlugin.c, including its own header
> file which wasn't there.
you should have a source tree starting at 'platforms'. Under that you
should have
Cross
Mac OS
Risc OS
unix
win32

You should find
platforms/Cross/plugins/HostWindowPlugin/HostWindowPlugin.h
                Mac OS /HostWindowPlugin/sqMacHostWindow.c & .h
                win32/HostWindowPlugin/sqWin32HostWindowPlugin.c
and there ought to be a Risc OS version but even I can't find it.
Wonder what I managed to do to lose that... Some body somewhere
almost certainly has a unix/x11 version but not me, now, on my machine.

tim
granary - old folks home

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Bernd Eckardt
There's also a monticello repository at

http://source.impara.de/HostWindows

includes all changesets, John posted some time ago to the list.
We should use this, instead of handing around change sets.

Bernd

tim Rowledge schrieb:

> On 24-Jun-07, at 11:41 AM, Herbert König wrote:
>
>> Hello Tim,
>>
>> tR> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3862 is the current intro page. The VM
>> tR> code is in the VM repository under 'HostWindowPlugin'. Aside from
>>
>> all I found was sqWin32HostWindowPlugin.c, including its own header
>> file which wasn't there.
> you should have a source tree starting at 'platforms'. Under that you
> should have
> Cross
> Mac OS
> Risc OS
> unix
> win32
>
> You should find
> platforms/Cross/plugins/HostWindowPlugin/HostWindowPlugin.h
>         Mac OS /HostWindowPlugin/sqMacHostWindow.c & .h
>         win32/HostWindowPlugin/sqWin32HostWindowPlugin.c
> and there ought to be a Risc OS version but even I can't find it.
> Wonder what I managed to do to lose that... Some body somewhere almost
> certainly has a unix/x11 version but not me, now, on my machine.
>

> tim
> granary - old folks home

Bernd Eckardt * Tel.: 0391/5980588 * mail: [hidden email]
Firmensitz: Impara GmbH * Listemannstr. 10 * 39104 Magdeburg
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Magdeburg * HRB 13839
Geschäftsführer: Michael Rüger

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Herbert König
Hello Bernd,

BE> http://source.impara.de/HostWindows

BE> includes all changesets, John posted some time ago to the list.
BE> We should use this, instead of handing around change sets.

I agree but shouldn't a central place also include the files to
build the plugin?

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

Bert Freudenberg

On Jun 26, 2007, at 8:33 , Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Bernd,
>

> BE> http://source.impara.de/HostWindows
>
> BE> includes all changesets, John posted some time ago to the list.
> BE> We should use this, instead of handing around change sets.
>
> I agree but shouldn't a central place also include the files to
> build the plugin?

That has been included in VMMaker for some time.

- Bert -

Re: Areithfa Ffenestri where?

stephane ducasse
I would really see that to be improved and evaluated to see if this
can be harvested.
This is really important to get multiple windows support.

Stef