Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
Hello

On image 40315 everything working.
On image 40316-40320 (latest) parts of Athens do not work, tried by running Athens Tutorial and Roassal 2, which are both based on Athens.
Problem is on both Windows and Linux (unable to test on any Mac)
Instead of describing the error, here is a link to download the image after downloading Athens-Tutorial and clicking on "do it" on Step 2 of tutorial: http://www.mediafire.com/download/va5wbm0qix3aqh2/PharoAthensBugWindows.zip

Hope it helps

Jan Blizničenko

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Nicolai Hess
Hello

On image 40315 everything working.
On image 40316-40320 (latest) parts of Athens do not work, tried by running
Athens Tutorial and Roassal 2, which are both based on Athens.
Problem is on both Windows and Linux (unable to test on any Mac)
Instead of describing the error, here is a link to download the image after
downloading Athens-Tutorial and clicking on "do it" on Step 2 of tutorial:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/va5wbm0qix3aqh2/PharoAthensBugWindows.zip

Hope it helps

Jan Blizničenko

I think you can skip the first part: "ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'."
because Athens is already in the image and the version on smalltalkhub is not
uptodate with the one in the image.

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
Nicolai Hess wrote
I think you can skip the first part: "ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion:
'2.0'."
because Athens is already in the image and the version on smalltalkhub is
not
uptodate with the one in the image.
I've never did the step one because of that reason.
Just as I said, to reproduce just download clean image, run Gofer it package Athens-Tutorial, run AthensTutorial new openWithSpec, press "next" arrow, press "do it", that's all. Then this error appears. Or you can download Roassal 2 and open Roassal examples, same error. Or our project based on Roassal.
On linux there is a little different error, but both are somehow similar (something about nativeboost, athens, cairo, etc.)

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Marcus Denker-4

> On 23 Oct 2014, at 08:50, Jan Blizničenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolai Hess wrote
>> I think you can skip the first part: "ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion:
>> '2.0'."
>> because Athens is already in the image and the version on smalltalkhub is
>> not
>> uptodate with the one in the image.
>
> I've never did the step one because of that reason.
> Just as I said, to reproduce just download clean image, run Gofer it package
> Athens-Tutorial, run AthensTutorial new openWithSpec, press "next" arrow,
> press "do it", that's all. Then this error appears. Or you can download
> Roassal 2 and open Roassal examples, same error. Or our project based on
> Roassal.
> On linux there is a little different error, but both are somehow similar
> (something about nativeboost, athens, cairo, etc.)

Do *not* run Gofer. The Tutorial is in the image…

        Marcus

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
Do *not* run Gofer. The Tutorial is in the image…

        Marcus
Well, then it is renamed or somehow hidden, because there is no Athens-Tutorial package, nor any class which name contains words "Tutorial" AND "Athens", especially not AthensTutorial.
And even if there is, it is irrelevant, because this bug has nothing to do with the tutorial itself, it is just a fastest way to run Athens directly, but the same bug happens when using it via Roassal (based on Athens), too.

Jan

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Nicolai Hess
Nicolai Hess wrote
> I think you can skip the first part: "ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion:
> '2.0'."
> because Athens is already in the image and the version on smalltalkhub is
> not
> uptodate with the one in the image.

I've never did the step one because of that reason.
Just as I said, to reproduce just download clean image, run Gofer it package
Athens-Tutorial, run AthensTutorial new openWithSpec, press "next" arrow,
press "do it", that's all. Then this error appears. Or you can download
Roassal 2 and open Roassal examples, same error. Or our project based on
Roassal.
On linux there is a little different error, but both are somehow similar
(something about nativeboost, athens, cairo, etc.)

I can not reproduce the error on a clean pharo image:
"Pharo4.0 Latest update: #40320"
Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
-> works

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

kilon.alios
nope it is not, not in 40320 and not in any image I can remember.

        Marcus

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

kilon.alios
same here, looks like it works fine on win7 with the exact same version as yours

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nicolai Hess wrote
> I think you can skip the first part: "ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion:
> '2.0'."
> because Athens is already in the image and the version on smalltalkhub is
> not
> uptodate with the one in the image.

I've never did the step one because of that reason.
Just as I said, to reproduce just download clean image, run Gofer it package
Athens-Tutorial, run AthensTutorial new openWithSpec, press "next" arrow,
press "do it", that's all. Then this error appears. Or you can download
Roassal 2 and open Roassal examples, same error. Or our project based on
Roassal.
On linux there is a little different error, but both are somehow similar
(something about nativeboost, athens, cairo, etc.)

I can not reproduce the error on a clean pharo image:
"Pharo4.0 Latest update: #40320"
Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
-> works

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
This topic seems to "forked" into two, please look at my reply in the other one:
http://forum.world.st/Athens-do-not-work-on-Image-40316-td4786137.html

In the tutorial, did you press the right/next button and then "do it" button (everything looks fine until I do that).
Does even "AthensDemoMorph example" work for you?

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
Ok, I give up, it seems like gods just don't like me. I'm gonna stick with 40315.

Thanks for your time
Jan

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

kilon.alios
ok i donwloaded your zip and I think I know whats wrong, you probably saved the image and reopened and then it displayed the error ?

because browsing through yours stack of error it looks like you experience the usual session problem. This natural when you try to fit a non-live C library to a live smalltalk eniroment. Which means everything must be reinitalised at C side each time you open a saved image. Unfortunately there is no workaround and the tutorial also mentions this limitation.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Jan B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I give up, it seems like gods just don't like me. I'm gonna stick with
40315.

Thanks for your time
Jan

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Nicolai Hess
Ok, I give up, it seems like gods just don't like me. I'm gonna stick with
40315.

Never give up!

Be sure you have a valid PharoV30.sources file.

Thanks for your time
Jan

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

Jan Blizničenko
Nicolai Hess wrote
Never give up!

Be sure you have a valid PharoV30.sources file.
Of course, sources file! It worked perfectly without it for few months (since I started using Pharo 4), so I completely forgot it even exists. You solved my problem, thanks a lot!

Jan

Re: Athens do not work on Image 40316+

abergel
Hi Jan!

I can have a look next beginning of next week (not earlier sorry).
In the meantime, you can use the Moose image. It is pretty stable.

Cheers,
Alexandre