Audio problems on Linux - part 1 (OSS)

Phil B

I'm having problems recording audio using a relatively recent (20190724) build of the 64-bit VM on Linux (Debian 10) and was curious to see if this is a known issue or not.  I've been running with the OSS drivers for a while now[1] which have been running fine for audio playback at least (provided I wrap launching the vm with padsp.)  However, I haven't needed to record audio since I started using the OSS drivers.

So recently I wanted to record audio (specifically using SoundPlugin primitiveSoundStartRecording/primitiveSoundRecordSamples/primitiveSoundStopRecording) and immediately ran into problems.  The image becomes almost completely unresponsive (regardless of what priority level I run the audio recording process at) and at best I get back a few fragments of audio when I stop recording.  No error messages in the console, errors in the image, etc.  Just an unresponsive image and eventually an unusable recording.

I switched over to another OS / VM (OS X 10.11) with the same image and audio recording works just fine.  OK, so the image isn't itself doesn't appear to be the problem, but rather some combination of my OS / VM / driver setup.  My question is: should recording via OSS drivers be expected to work?  If so, any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thinking that this might be considered an obsolete/unsupported configuration, I try changing my VM audio drivers which results in another issue in part 2...

[1] I started doing this due to Linux VM builds going a period of time without alternate (ALSA/PulseAudio) audio drivers included.  Not sure if this has been resolved or not given my issue in part 2.

[1] I started doing this due to Linux VM builds going a period of time without alternate (ALSA/PulseAudio) audio drivers included.  Not sure if this has been resolved or not given my issue in part 2.

Re: Audio problems on Linux - part 1 (OSS)

fniephaus

Hi Phil,

I'm afraid I've never used the SoundPlugin, but it'd be great if you could file issues like this on our GitHub [1]. This way they at least don't get lost in our inboxes. Plus, the mailing list will also be notified.

Cheers,
Fabio