Avatar from .ase file.

Leo S-2

Hello, I'm newbie in croquet.  Can i make an avatar object from .ase file? As we know the avatar file is .bvh. Thank you for the help.

Re: Avatar from .ase file.

RichWhite
Check out the Cobalt peoject ... you can with that build - http://opencobalt.org

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Leo S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I'm newbie in croquet.  Can i make an avatar object from .ase file?
> As we know the avatar file is .bvh. Thank you for the help.
> ________________________________
> See all the ways you can stay connected to friends and family

RE: Avatar from .ase file.

Leo S-2

Can you give me the specific link in the opencobalt.org where can i learn from? Than you.

Chat online and in real-time with friends and family! Windows Live Messenger

Re: Avatar from .ase file.

Darius Clarke
Hi Leo,

I just tested with cobalt-base-current-build-20090330

First, I tested importing an .ase file using the \cobalt-base-current-build-20090330\content\models\pottery.ase model.
I started the default world by dragging out the blue cobalt croquet ball to the middle.
Using the menus, I selected Objects > Add Model ... and navigated to the above file and clicked OK. A scale of 2 worked for me.

Next, I changed my avatar using the same model.
Using the menus, I selected Cobalt > My Avatar ... and navigated to the above file and clicked OK. A scale of 2 worked for me.

To find the code called by the My Avatar ... option. Use the built in code browser to navigate to the
CobaltMenuProject class and the menuBarCobaltMenu method.
There you find that the menu calls the method actionSwitchAvatar.
This calls the clickOpenAliceFile: scale: method.
Which calls loadAvatar: scale: .

Which has this code snip-it:
loader := (
{
('.ase' -> [(TLoad3DSMax new initializeWithFileName: path scale: (frameScale ifNil:[1.0])) frame ] ) .

Examining TLoad3DSMax class should explain the rest.

However, this doesn't mean that 3DSMax's sub-assemblies, joints, or other avatar functions are supported. As .ase is implemented differently on different systems, the importer may stumble on more complex models. The built-in debugger should give a clear indicator of what was expected if the import failed.

Do you have an .ase file for us to test with?

Cheers,
Darius

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Leo S <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you give me the specific link in the opencobalt.org where can i learn from? Than you.

Chat online and in real-time with friends and family! Windows Live Messenger

RE: Avatar from .ase file.

Leo S-2

Cool... I have tried it and successfully imported .ase file as an avatar in the Cobalt.

Thank you very much Darius.

However, can we do the same thing in the Croquet Demo application not in Cobalt?

Best Regards,

Leo

Chat online and in real-time with friends and family! Windows Live Messenger