Aw: Re: [Newbies] I don't get it

bblochl

----- Original Nachricht ----
Von:     Erlis Vidal <[hidden email]>
An:      "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions about
        Squeak." <[hidden email]>
Datum:   21.06.2011 20:37
Betreff: Re: [Newbies] I don't get it

> Hi Blochl,
>
> But many interesting things are happening with it, like
> http://www.silversmalltalk.com/ and Dan Ingalls' Lively Kernel.

I know the Lively Kernel and did some tests. I have some problems with the old fashioned handling, that reminds me to the bloated squeak GUI. Pharo has a refreshing new UI aproach, closer to the nowaday commons. Another problem is, that there are no aplications for the Lively Kernel - maybe I am wrong? Maybe a blend with the "cloud" has some future? Would be nice to integrate Ingalls huge experiene into the Pharo-project?

> This is the book I fully recommend to anyone that really wants to
> understand
> the power of javascript: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748

I know that book and the Croqueford page http://javascript.crockford.com/prototypal.htmland some more  as well. There are many other interesting sources! Just to add one: "Innocent Code: A Security Wake-Up Call for Web Programmers"
Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (March 15, 2004)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0470857447
ISBN-13: 978-04708574

But I think all that is a bit off topic on a Smalltalk mail list. But to remember: You had a special Croqueford -question I tried to clarify. I think the future mails hould focus on SmallTalk topics.

> On the other hands, I haven't look into Self or Lisaac, so, thanks for
> mentioning them, I'll look into them.

I do not know if hat could you inspire .- I just used that as an example to emphasize that there is a large spectrum of more or less prototyped languages.But ma be you do any thesis - then things might be different and it is your open horizons.

Regards

B. Blöchl

Re: I don't get it

Bert Freudenberg
On 21.06.2011, at 21:51, [hidden email] wrote:

> I know the Lively Kernel and did some tests. I have some problems with the old fashioned handling, that reminds me to the bloated squeak GUI. Pharo has a refreshing new UI aproach, closer to the nowaday commons.

Could you give an example what you mean by that? Is it the look, or the implementation? What in particular do you like about it?

- Bert -