classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable

Jakob Reschke
Hi,

I just noticed that the newly introduced text drag and drop sometimes does not work when dragging text between workspaces. It has always worked until today so I suspect the culprit is among the more recent changes.

Problem:
When dragging the selected text from one workspace to another, sometimes an object reference is copied to the bindings of the workspace instead of pasting the text. In the target text, the newly created variable name appears instead (e. g. text3997962) as if I had dropped another non-text object.

At least the text is not removed from the source workspace when this happens...

Problem #2:
It does not always happen. When dragging from a third workspace it suddenly worked and then also from the second again. Then I reset my texts back to the old state and now it is broken again.

Expected behavior:
The selected text from the source workspace is cut from there, and pasted at the drop hand location in the target workspace.

Currently I have three workspaces #1, #2, #3.
If I drag the selection from #1 to #2, it works.
If I drag from #1 to #3 it does not.
Dragging from #2 to #3 does not work.
Dragging from #2 to #1 does work.
Now dragging from #1 to #3 suddenly does work... I dragged to the start of the text this time.
Dragging back from #3 to #1 works.
Dragging from #1 to #3 to the end of it also works.
Dragging back from #1 to #3.
Resetting (Cmd+l, lowercase L) text of #3.
Dragging from #1 to the end of #3 does not work again. Variable pasted at the start of the text.
Repeated dragging of the same text from #1 to #3 always pastes the variable.
Dragging to the middle of #3 works!
Dragging the pasted text inside of #3 to the end removed the text and pasted a variable instead.

Hypothesis: it does not work to drop the text beyond the TextMorphForEditView. And so far I might just have been lucky to always have enough blank lines at the end of my target workspace. Workspaces #1 and #2 from above contain much more text than #3 and fill the whole editing area of the workspace, so this would be consistent.

Squeak5.3beta
latest update: #19300

Kind regards,
Jakob

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable

Christoph Thiede

Hi Jakob,

does Morphic-ct.1675 resolve the issue for you? :-)

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2019 21:40:19
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [squeak-dev] [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable

Hi,

I just noticed that the newly introduced text drag and drop sometimes does not work when dragging text between workspaces. It has always worked until today so I suspect the culprit is among the more recent changes.

Problem:
When dragging the selected text from one workspace to another, sometimes an object reference is copied to the bindings of the workspace instead of pasting the text. In the target text, the newly created variable name appears instead (e. g. text3997962) as if I had dropped another non-text object.

At least the text is not removed from the source workspace when this happens...

Problem #2:
It does not always happen. When dragging from a third workspace it suddenly worked and then also from the second again. Then I reset my texts back to the old state and now it is broken again.

Expected behavior:
The selected text from the source workspace is cut from there, and pasted at the drop hand location in the target workspace.

Currently I have three workspaces #1, #2, #3.
If I drag the selection from #1 to #2, it works.
If I drag from #1 to #3 it does not.
Dragging from #2 to #3 does not work.
Dragging from #2 to #1 does work.
Now dragging from #1 to #3 suddenly does work... I dragged to the start of the text this time.
Dragging back from #3 to #1 works.
Dragging from #1 to #3 to the end of it also works.
Dragging back from #1 to #3.
Resetting (Cmd+l, lowercase L) text of #3.
Dragging from #1 to the end of #3 does not work again. Variable pasted at the start of the text.
Repeated dragging of the same text from #1 to #3 always pastes the variable.
Dragging to the middle of #3 works!
Dragging the pasted text inside of #3 to the end removed the text and pasted a variable instead.

Hypothesis: it does not work to drop the text beyond the TextMorphForEditView. And so far I might just have been lucky to always have enough blank lines at the end of my target workspace. Workspaces #1 and #2 from above contain much more text than #3 and fill the whole editing area of the workspace, so this would be consistent.

Squeak5.3beta
latest update: #19300

Kind regards,
Jakob

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
Hi Christoph,

After merging Morphic-ct.1675 and Morphic-ct.1676, it works as
expected, thank you. Without ct.1676 the source workspace is not
updated until it regains the keyboard focus, as described in the
commit message.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Do., 20. Aug. 2020 um 18:39 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<[hidden email]>:

>
> Hi Jakob,
>
>
> does Morphic-ct.1675 resolve the issue for you? :-)
>
>
> Best,
>
> Christoph
>
> ________________________________
> Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>
> Gesendet: Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2019 21:40:19
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [squeak-dev] [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable
>
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the newly introduced text drag and drop sometimes does not work when dragging text between workspaces. It has always worked until today so I suspect the culprit is among the more recent changes.
>
> Problem:
> When dragging the selected text from one workspace to another, sometimes an object reference is copied to the bindings of the workspace instead of pasting the text. In the target text, the newly created variable name appears instead (e. g. text3997962) as if I had dropped another non-text object.
>
> At least the text is not removed from the source workspace when this happens...
>
> Problem #2:
> It does not always happen. When dragging from a third workspace it suddenly worked and then also from the second again. Then I reset my texts back to the old state and now it is broken again.
>
> Expected behavior:
> The selected text from the source workspace is cut from there, and pasted at the drop hand location in the target workspace.
>
> Currently I have three workspaces #1, #2, #3.
> If I drag the selection from #1 to #2, it works.
> If I drag from #1 to #3 it does not.
> Dragging from #2 to #3 does not work.
> Dragging from #2 to #1 does work.
> Now dragging from #1 to #3 suddenly does work... I dragged to the start of the text this time.
> Dragging back from #3 to #1 works.
> Dragging from #1 to #3 to the end of it also works.
> Dragging back from #1 to #3.
> Resetting (Cmd+l, lowercase L) text of #3.
> Dragging from #1 to the end of #3 does not work again. Variable pasted at the start of the text.
> Repeated dragging of the same text from #1 to #3 always pastes the variable.
> Dragging to the middle of #3 works!
> Dragging the pasted text inside of #3 to the end removed the text and pasted a variable instead.
>
> Hypothesis: it does not work to drop the text beyond the TextMorphForEditView. And so far I might just have been lucky to always have enough blank lines at the end of my target workspace. Workspaces #1 and #2 from above contain much more text than #3 and fill the whole editing area of the workspace, so this would be consistent.
>
> Squeak5.3beta
> latest update: #19300
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Christoph Thiede

Thanks for the feedback! :-)

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 23. August 2020 13:48:00
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Betreff: Re: [squeak-dev] [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable

Hi Christoph,

After merging Morphic-ct.1675 and Morphic-ct.1676, it works as
expected, thank you. Without ct.1676 the source workspace is not
updated until it regains the keyboard focus, as described in the
commit message.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Do., 20. Aug. 2020 um 18:39 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Jakob,
>
>
> does Morphic-ct.1675 resolve the issue for you? :-)
>
>
> Best,
>
> Christoph
>
> ________________________________
> Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>
> Gesendet: Sonntag, 29. Dezember 2019 21:40:19
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [squeak-dev] [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable
>
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the newly introduced text drag and drop sometimes does not work when dragging text between workspaces. It has always worked until today so I suspect the culprit is among the more recent changes.
>
> Problem:
> When dragging the selected text from one workspace to another, sometimes an object reference is copied to the bindings of the workspace instead of pasting the text. In the target text, the newly created variable name appears instead (e. g. text3997962) as if I had dropped another non-text object.
>
> At least the text is not removed from the source workspace when this happens...
>
> Problem #2:
> It does not always happen. When dragging from a third workspace it suddenly worked and then also from the second again. Then I reset my texts back to the old state and now it is broken again.
>
> Expected behavior:
> The selected text from the source workspace is cut from there, and pasted at the drop hand location in the target workspace.
>
> Currently I have three workspaces #1, #2, #3.
> If I drag the selection from #1 to #2, it works.
> If I drag from #1 to #3 it does not.
> Dragging from #2 to #3 does not work.
> Dragging from #2 to #1 does work.
> Now dragging from #1 to #3 suddenly does work... I dragged to the start of the text this time.
> Dragging back from #3 to #1 works.
> Dragging from #1 to #3 to the end of it also works.
> Dragging back from #1 to #3.
> Resetting (Cmd+l, lowercase L) text of #3.
> Dragging from #1 to the end of #3 does not work again. Variable pasted at the start of the text.
> Repeated dragging of the same text from #1 to #3 always pastes the variable.
> Dragging to the middle of #3 works!
> Dragging the pasted text inside of #3 to the end removed the text and pasted a variable instead.
>
> Hypothesis: it does not work to drop the text beyond the TextMorphForEditView. And so far I might just have been lucky to always have enough blank lines at the end of my target workspace. Workspaces #1 and #2 from above contain much more text than #3 and fill the whole editing area of the workspace, so this would be consistent.
>
> Squeak5.3beta
> latest update: #19300
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob
>

Carpe Squeak!