Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Jerome Peace
Well, I seem to have found a bug in something.

see Mantis:
7498   In Sq 9885 on Ubuntu doing Beeper beep latches the cpu usage to 100%
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7498

Help in determing the extent of the problem is requested.

Does this problem happen on non-linux systems?

Are there linux system where it does not happen?

The introduction of this behaviour seems relatively recent. Before it used to behave better. What changed?

Re: Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Casey Ransberger-2
I was saddled with a beeper once, and I never had any time to myself until I got rid of it. I know how the CPU feels!

(Sorry! Facetious. Couldn't resist...)

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Jerome Peace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, I seem to have found a bug in something.

see Mantis:
7498   In Sq 9885 on Ubuntu doing Beeper beep latches the cpu usage to 100%
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7498

Help in determing the extent of the problem is requested.

Does this problem happen on non-linux systems?

Are there linux system where it does not happen?

The introduction of this behaviour seems relatively recent. Before it used to behave better. What changed?

Re: Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Ian Piumarta-2
On Apr 9, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> 7498   In Sq 9885 on Ubuntu doing Beeper beep latches the cpu usage
> to 100%
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7498
>
> Are there linux system where it does not happen?

Works ok for me in a 3.10.2-7179 image running under:

piumarta@ubuntu:~/squeak/bld$ ./squeakvm -version
4.0.2-2181 #1 XShm Fri Apr  9 15:07:50 PDT 2010 gcc 4.3.4
Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-16-generic #53-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 8 04:02:15 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Chris Muller-3
I am able to reproduce this in both the trunk image and 3.9 under
Linux (Kubuntu).  Haven't tried a different vm yet (running some
tests, so don't want to switch VM's right now)...

There doesn't seem to be any visible degradation in the VM, only by
the CPU monitor can I determine the shoot to 100%..

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Jerome Peace
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I seem to have found a bug in something.
>
> see Mantis:
> 7498   In Sq 9885 on Ubuntu doing Beeper beep latches the cpu usage to 100%
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7498
>
> Help in determing the extent of the problem is requested.
>
> Does this problem happen on non-linux systems?
>
> Are there linux system where it does not happen?
>
> The introduction of this behaviour seems relatively recent. Before it used to behave better. What changed?
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

Re: Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Chris Muller-3
> There doesn't seem to be any visible degradation in the VM, only by

There doesn't seem to be any visible degradation in the *Image*, only by....

Re: Beeping now latches the cpu to hog all the compute cycles. (Linux/Ubuntu)

Bert Freudenberg
Can you try different sound options? The VM has a number of plugins available (OSS, ALSA, PulseAudio).

For Etoys we have had less then stellar experience with PulseAudio. So in the Etoys script if we detect Pulse running, we enable its OSS emulation and use OSS instead:

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys.in

# if pulseaudio is running, fall back to OSS
if pulseaudio --check 2>/dev/null ; then
    VMOPTIONS="$VMOPTIONS -vm-sound-oss"
    if padsp true 2>/dev/null ; then
        WRAPPER=padsp
    fi
fi
exec $WRAPPER "$VM" $VMOPTIONS "$IMAGE" "$DOCUMENT" $IMOPTIONS

- Bert -

On Apr 10, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Can you try different sound options?

Excellent point, and just reminded me of something that might explain
why I see no problem with audio CPU usage.

I'd been having persistent and widespread audio problems in many apps
since Ubuntu 9.10, with various ugly workarounds needed to get sound
out of several apps, not just squeak.  Finally I found the ultimate
solution that makes audio "just work" again, like it always used to,
on Ubuntu.  Two trivial steps:

apt-get remove pulseaudio
apt-get install esound

Perfect, flawless audio ever since.