Beginner wants to start graphic windows in Smalltalk 80 - need help

Beginner wants to start graphic windows in Smalltalk 80 - need help

Hans Schueren

To whom it may concern ,

may i ask for some help about standard graphic routines ?

As a beginner i just have learned all the first level SYNTAX of
smalltalk 80.

Now , you can imagine , i am interested in writing little GUI windows
and graphics for

placing some text in the right positions.

Theese are the statements i have studied from my material.

Does anybody know why the statements not work?

Are there any "replacements" for the syntax that i posted here as example ?

Have a nice day

HERE ARE THE EXAMPLES :

| window |
window := ScheduledWindow new.
window component: 'Hello World' asComposedText.
window open

| window |
window := ScheduledWindow new.
window label: 'Fenster ohne Inhalt'.
window minimumSize: 200 @ 100; maximumSize: 400 @ 300.
window open

displayOn: aGraphicsContext
1 to: 10 do:
[:i|
aGraphicsContext translation printString
    asComposedText displayOn: aGraphicsContext.
aGraphicsContext translateBy: 15 @ 15]

Greetings

Hans
The Byte Surfer

Re: Beginner wants to start graphic windows in Smalltalk 80 - need help

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 02:10:42PM +0100, Hans Schueren wrote:

> To whom it may concern ,
>

> may i ask for some help about standard graphic routines ?
>
> As a beginner i just have learned all the first level SYNTAX of
> smalltalk 80.
>
> Now , you can imagine , i am interested in writing little GUI windows
> and graphics for
>
> placing some text in the right positions.
>

> Theese are the statements i have studied from my material.
>

> Does anybody know why the statements not work?
>
> Are there any "replacements" for the syntax that i posted here as example ?
>
> Have a nice day

Hello Hans,

Can you please say what book or paper you are using? Also check if your
learning material specifies what version of Smalltalk was used for the
examples.

Your examples look like some version of the MVC user interface, which
was the original (and still very interesting) user interface in Smalltalk
and Squeak. Squeak still provides some support for MVC, so for example
there probably is some equivalent to the ScheduledWindow class used in
your example below. You may also be interested in other user interface
approaches, such as Morphic, which are very different from MVC.

Dave

> HERE ARE THE EXAMPLES :
>

> | window |
> window := ScheduledWindow new.
> window component: 'Hello World' asComposedText.
> window open
>

> | window |
> window := ScheduledWindow new.
> window label: 'Fenster ohne Inhalt'.
> window minimumSize: 200 @ 100; maximumSize: 400 @ 300.
> window open
>

> displayOn: aGraphicsContext
> 1 to: 10 do:
> [:i|
> aGraphicsContext translation printString
>    asComposedText displayOn: aGraphicsContext.
> aGraphicsContext translateBy: 15 @ 15]
>

> Greetings
>

> Hans
> The Byte Surfer

Re: Beginner wants to start graphic windows in Smalltalk 80 - need help

Michael Rice
I was just browsing FormEditor. A lot has changed since the original MVC, some to make it compatible with Morphic, e.g., the instance method 'edit' of Form

edit
"Open a form editor on this form. "

Project current formEdit: self

As you can see, the current project has some responsibilities.

Project current ->  a MVCProject (Unnamed) in a ControlManager

current
"Answer the project that is currently being used."

^CurrentProject

a class variable of Project.

For Project:

formEdit: aForm
"Start up an instance of the form editor on a form."

self subclassResponsibility

Subclasses of Project are MVCProject and MorphicProject

For MVCProject:

formEdit: aForm
"Start up an instance of the FormEditor on a form..."

FormEditor openOnForm: aForm

Poking around in FormEditor and its associated classes, while tedious, can yield useful information on how these views, models, and controllers inter-operate.

Michael